how to connect laptop to a tv (1 Viewer)

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
How can i connect my laptop to my tv so my laptop screen comes up on the tv screen and the sound comes out of the tv etc.

Is there a way to hook it up similar to a PS3? What kind of cord do I need.

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
HDMI cable would work, just hook it up and go to control panel => sound devices and change the output to HDMI rather than you laptops default, might be called SPDIF or something similar. Alternatively you could use a VGA or DVI cable for video, get a male-male 3.5mm audio cable (same size as your generic earphones) and hook that up to an input in a home sound system if you have one.

Alternatively, you could do what i do which is about a million times easier, and thats wirelessly transcode but that only works obviously for photos,videos and music. No games or if you want your web browser or whatever up there. But if it's just videos and stuff, get PS3 Media Server and if your PS3 and Laptop are running off the same wireless network it'll just automatically pick up your ps3, then go ps3 and i think its called DNLA servers or something. I'm not sure as i use it with my 360 i don't have a ps3 but yeh.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
ok i dont have any of those cords so I will use the PS3. How do I use the PS3 and make it wirelessly pick up my laptop or whatever? I just want to watch movies on the tv screen instead of my tiny laptop screen.

stampede

doin it tuff
HSC
if ur using a hdmi cable to connect ur ps3 to ur tv, unplug it from the back of the ps3 and shove it into ur laptop and u should be fine

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
If you want to do it wirelessly, download a program called ps3 media server here [ http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/ ]. Install it, when you open it for the very first time it'll take a while to start up, when it's ready aka the middle of the screen has a big red cross or yellow warning sign on it (thats fine btw), go to navigation/share settings, under shared folders click add and add any folders on your computer which have the movies you want to watch in them. At that point click transcoding settings, and as long as you have green arrows next to at least one option under video file engine and audio file engine you should be fine. At the top click the big Save button. Then just turn on your ps3, go search for video servers and it should come up.

From then on all you have to do is start the app on your laptop and you'll be able to stream any video you have on your laptop wirelessly to your ps3 as long as the PS3 and laptop are on the same wireless connection

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks heaps, but why is it so jumpy? like a scratched dvd :/

how do i make it stop :( :(

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The other way would be run VGA/HDMI cable to a Scan Converter, then RCA from the converter to the TV.

For audio, run minijack from the headphone out on the laptop, into two RCA inputs (white and red) for sound

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
hellooo does anyone know why the fkn video is so jumpy? Was I supposed to encode it in a certain way?

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
What are the specs of the laptop your trying to run it from? Also whats the file type your trying to stream?

For a quick fix you could try to go to the transcoding settings tab => Common transcoding settings, under that there should be an option for video quality settings, theres a drop down list for Mpeg2 Video quality settings and click the low quality preset and try running the video with that. I also advise keeping the ps3 media server window open rather minimised, i'm not really sure why but at least for me it seemed to transcode the video faster.

HSC
Uni Grad
just use hdmi, choose hdmi as sound device in windoze so you get audio as well

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
hellooo does anyone know why the fkn video is so jumpy? Was I supposed to encode it in a certain way?
your laptop is probably outputting a different incompatible frequency to your T.V. e.g. laptop is outputting 75 hz, an old LCD tv can only accept 50/60 Hz, new ones are up to 100-200 Hz. Try changing ur laptop frequency by going to nvidia or display control panel.

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
your laptop is probably outputting a different incompatible frequency to your T.V. e.g. laptop is outputting 75 hz, an old LCD tv can only accept 50/60 Hz, new ones are up to 100-200 Hz. Try changing ur laptop frequency by going to nvidia or display control panel.
Na, it would be outputting to PS3 not straight to the TV

samuelarnold

HSC
S video does not have the definition to connect to a monitor of any kind.
You should have a VGA, HDMI, or DVI out somewhere on your laptop, all of those will work well, but HDMI tends to cut the edges off the screen.

I personally have a 42" LCD hooked up to mine.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I hook my laptop up to my TV with my HDMI cable, I just pull it out of my Xbox and plug it straight in and I'm set. They're like $20.

jacobadam

Banned
HSC
Your laptop will have a VGA output or possibly a S-video out. For the VGA you'll need a standard VGA cable. Plug the cable in to your laptop and the PC input of your TV. If your TV does not have PC input it may have a DVI input. IF it does you can use a VGA/DVI adapter to plug it in. If it doesn't have a DVI input you can use the S-Video output on your laptop with a standard S-video cable. After the connection to your TV is made you will have to toggle alternate display by pressing and holding your [Fn] key and pressing F4, or F5, or another F# key. It's the one that looks like a TV screen. Press once to turn on output, press again to turn off your laptop screen, press again to go back to laptop screen only. If you want to put the audio on your TV you'll need a headphone to RCA jack converter (Radioshack). Plug the cord in to your headphone jack and the RCA jacks in to the same input you used for the video. I have this set up to watch movies from my laptop on my home TV. Hope this helps!

K4M1N3

HSC
For anyone:

1. Copy Movie file onto a USB drive

2. Put USB in PS3

3. Watch movie thanks to PS3 divx codec :D

If you even more lazy: Use windows media player to set up a media stream, which will show up on the PS3

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
HDMI cable, seriously. It carries sound and video, it's so much easier. -_-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)