How to convert an essay into a speech (1 Viewer)

Drsoccerball

HSC
Our task is to write a speech but any ideas on how to transform any essay into a speech besides writing it again?

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
I'm actually doing something like this as we speak.

Flop21

HSC
Lols. Ez to convert.

Person XYZ once said ABC. *insert essay*

Thank you for your time.
Stuff like this is how I messed up my Speech and got a shit mark.

You gotta shove a tonne of rhetorical devices in it, make it engaging, etc. etc. You will have to cut a lot out of your essay and yes rewrite a lot.

Not much more I can say, as like I said, I got a shit mark.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
^ yeah OP, pls don't follow that poor (and dare I say, immature) advice

To convert your essay into a speech, I would do:

- lessen the fancy language, make it clear to the audience through concise phrasing
- have rhetorical Q's once or twice
- have inclusive words such as "you, our" for engagement

Then for performance, just have pauses for effort, change in tone, repetition, that sort of thing

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Fluctuations in volume will help you emphasise key elements as well as to keep the audience engaged. Also, try to add hand gestures, but do it in an assertive way and don't just fling your hands in the air for the sake of it. When your quoting something, quote it in a way as if you're the character/writer/actor yourself, to make it seem like your in that moment of the scene/act/stanza. For some reason, teachers love it when you do that.
In general, just over dramatise everything and you should be fine :)

Ekman

HSC
this is literally what i do to convey my content and it enables me to access the higher marks LOL
Believe me, drsoccerball likes to over dramatize his speeches. I remember in year 10 he left the room half way through his speech and ten seconds later came back in again. I forgot what the speech was about but he wanted to make it dramatic so he made a big scene leaving the room. Funniest speech performance I have ever seen.

Drsoccerball

HSC
Believe me, drsoccerball likes to over dramatize his speeches. I remember in year 10 he left the room half way through his speech and ten seconds later came back in again. I forgot what the speech was about but he wanted to make it dramatic so he made a big scene leaving the room. Funniest speech performance I have ever seen.
I dont remember doing that ahahah OH YEAAAHH!!! I forgot what it was but i remember doing that LMAO

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
I had a speech assessment in term 1, all I did to make it 'speech-y' was say Good morning, and say that Hamlet's notions are "relevant to you, relevant to me, relevant to all of humanity" (dat anaphora tho)

Ended up getting ↑20/20

Gabriel Moussa

HSC
Our task is to write a speech but any ideas on how to transform any essay into a speech besides writing it again?
My advice for critical study speeches is know your text well. Have a personal connection to the next and more than ever satisfy the "personal engagement" requirement of the syllabus.
An empathetic link with the audience works well, and making sure to be politically correct if you have harsh teachers
e.g. don't trash feminism and say "why are you giving women rights" like one of my idiot mates did for his yr 11 English Extension one speech on women in the gothic genre
Be careful to appropriate your speech to the requirement of "audience, purpose and form"
i.e. if you are giving a speech to Parents, students, teachers and members of the board of studies, recognise your audience, and be sophisticated, but dont talk in buckets of english jargon.
And don't try to turn an essay into a speech ... Thats rule of thumb
Its an entirely different text type with different conventions
Write the speech from scratch and say it as you write it
Teacher's have been hearing paragraphs being read out for years...
Hope I helped out :)

mrpotatoed

HSC
What school? Could be mine by the sounds of it :eek:

Drsoccerball

HSC
My advice for critical study speeches is know your text well. Have a personal connection to the next and more than ever satisfy the "personal engagement" requirement of the syllabus.
An empathetic link with the audience works well, and making sure to be politically correct if you have harsh teachers
e.g. don't trash feminism and say "why are you giving women rights" like one of my idiot mates did for his yr 11 English Extension one speech on women in the gothic genre
Be careful to appropriate your speech to the requirement of "audience, purpose and form"
i.e. if you are giving a speech to Parents, students, teachers and members of the board of studies, recognise your audience, and be sophisticated, but dont talk in buckets of english jargon.
And don't try to turn an essay into a speech ... Thats rule of thumb
Its an entirely different text type with different conventions
Write the speech from scratch and say it as you write it
Teacher's have been hearing paragraphs being read out for years...
Hope I helped out :)
What an idiot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)