How to cope with... (1 Viewer)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Well your school rank could give a bit of integrity to your 90+ ATAR aim. I mean some people find it hard to believe that you're going to get 90+ if you go to a school ranked like mine (500+).

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
I never said it there was a major disadvantage for the OP in doing her subjects. Didn't you notice I used the word 'bit' and not 'heaps'? I never meant it was impossible but the marks required to achieve 90+ for those would need to be higher than those required from subjects like mine.

For example if I get 80 in all of my subjects my ATAR would be 91 but if I did OP's subjects and got 80 for all of them my ATAR would be 82. I'm not saying OP selected the wrong subjects or anything but I'm just giving her a bit of advice.

If you search the forums you'll find a lot of threads started by kids who thought that humanities and art scale the same as maths and sciences. They ended up getting low UAIs from this misconception.

Last edited:

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
If you search the forums you'll find a lot of threads started by kids who thought that humanities and art scale the same as maths and sciences. They ended up getting low UAIs from this misconception.
Now hang on a sec there, to the best of my knowledge (someone correct me if I'm wrong), eco scales just as well as physics (maybe a tinyyy bit less) and mod scales better than bio. I don't know about geo, but I don't see anything so hard about achieving 90+ with the OP's subjects when taking scaling into consideration. I'm taking 8 of the same units she's taking and right now, I have a 99+ estimate from the school. I know all the jazz about maths adding heaps to your atar, but hey, she's obviously chosen those subjects because she's better at them than at maths so no doubt she'll still get a better mark than if she did maths.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Marks scale at different regions e.g. I think a Band 4 in Standard scales slightly better than a Band 4 in Advanced. Humanities don't always scale badly but it really depends on what kind of mark you can achieve in them. By the way, I'm planning on not making Legal and Biology count. Like I said before I never said that OP should have picked maths or anything but it really depends on the perception of a 'good' mark to get a 90+ ATAR. For example if you consider 70 in Geography to be a good mark then that could badly affect your ATAR. Look at Daniel Swain who had a scaled aggregate of roughly ~496/500 and achieved 100.00 UAI in 2008. He did all humanities and no maths or sciences so I never meant that OP can't achieve 90+ with all humanities.

Last edited:

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
Ahkay. Sorry if I came on a bit strong, I just feel like I have to defend the humanities because I've been having a year-long argument with parents and whatnot to be able to keep them. >>"
I did forget about different subjects scaling better in different areas. (Btw, is there a table or something somewhere that tells you what subjects scale better at what marks?).
I haven't actually heard of Daniel Swann lol. O_O. That's pretty cool =)
Oh and lol, I didn't actually look at your subjects when I was making that comment. Just a coincidence that I happened to name two of them xD

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Marks scale at different regions e.g. I think a Band 4 in Standard scales slightly better than a Band 4 in Advanced. Humanities don't always scale badly but it really depends on what kind of mark you can achieve in them. By the way, I'm planning on not making Legal and Biology count. Like I said before I never said that OP should have picked maths or anything but it really depends on the perception of a 'good' mark to get a 90+ ATAR. For example if you consider 70 in Geography to be a good mark then that could badly affect your ATAR. Look at Daniel Swann who had a scaled aggregate of roughly ~496/500 and achieved 100.00 UAI in 2008. He did all humanities and no maths or sciences so I never meant that OP can't achieve 90+ with all humanities. Oh yeah and my rebuttal above was only because babikakez neg repped me.
Moral of the story: You have to get ridiculously high marks in humanities to get a good ATAR.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
The guy's name is Daniel Swain. Not Swann. :p

Eddykungfu

HSC
I had the exact same thingg....

Go to a library as much as possible :).

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
and stay back at school for as long as possible!
stay focused in your studies at all times

sometimes family can be annoying :(

lychnobity

HSC
Enough with the bloody scaling crap.

If you concentrate hard enough, you'll eventually block out distractions. Starting is always the hardest part. When studying in the first 15 minutes or so, your brain sort of 'wanders' and you become irritated by noises, birds chirping, hoons etc, so don't let this happen.

Focus.

Focus on your study, comprehend/understand what you're reading (or w/e to study). Eventually, you'll have to deal with the noise anyway, because you won't be doing your HSC exam in complete silence.

EDIT: like jetblack said, explain to the family how important it is for them to be a little quieter

TL; DR stfu and just do the damned work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)