• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How to deal with lecturers that cannot accept that they are wrong? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Since I now live in a democratic country, maybe I can put this to the vote. Who is stupid:
a) Someone who ignores the example we covered in tutorial, assumes that profit is 'always' after tax, does calculation, and then just guesses at answer (incorrectly I presume) when the calculated answer does not equate to one of the multiple choice answers? (i.e. Fortune Cookie)
b) Person who realises that the profit figure is before tax (or at least there is a good chance that it is), then uses the data in the question to perform a very simple calculation to achieve one of the 4 multiple choice answers?
There is an even better chance that it is an after tax figure. Nevertheless, it has nothing to do with chances. There should be no chances, it is should be clearly specified.

Is this the lecturer? It just seems really suspect. Your account was specifically opened yesterday, and this thread is the only one you have posted on.

Last edited:

LiuLiu90

HSC
Uni Grad
Is this the lecturer? It just seems really suspect. Your account was specifically opened yesterday, and this thread is the only one you have posted on.
???

I opened my account because I was wanted to see if I could get any hints for the end of session exams..... I didn't mean to get drawn into some sort of contest with you, but I just can't help your attitude.

Do the lecturers even know these websites exist?? I hope not with some of the comments posted!?!?

HSC
N/A
???

I opened my account because I was wanted to see if I could get any hints for the end of session exams..... I didn't mean to get drawn into some sort of contest with you, but I just can't help your attitude.

Do the lecturers even know these websites exist?? I hope not with some of the comments posted!?!?
That certainly is an amazing coincidence.

Apparently lecturers do know about these websites. Case in point? YOU.

LiuLiu90

HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely not a lecturer, just a kid who doesn't like to be pushed around by you....

HSC
N/A
Definitely not a lecturer, just a kid who doesn't like to be pushed around by you....
It says HSC: 2011, Uni Grad: 2013.

I think we have figured out that you do indeed either teach FINS1612 or are taking it this semester as a student.

Either:

(a) You are the lecturer I am talking about. Hello Mr Lee Smales.

or

(b) You are a student pretending to be the lecturer so you can troll.

LiuLiu90

HSC
Uni Grad
I am a student in FINS1612 - who happened to get the question you are talking about correct..... not sure what 'troll' is?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
fortune_cookie, whilst I do understand your frustration, you are dealing with it in quite an immature manner...

Life is unfair, some lecturers occasionally get things wrong (in my case, he told me L'Hopital's Rule was only applicable for infinity/infinity as opposed to all indeterminate forms), sometimes they will fight to save their pride, sometimes you will be wrong etc etc.

Either way in this situation, you probably just have to suck it up and move on. If you complain and fight this hard over every single situation like this, then my friend I'm afraid you will be fighting for a very long time.

Move on, study hard for your final exams, and then 'rip it up with HDs' =)

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
OP, you were wrong, accept it. It's not even a matter of 'life is unfair' as others suggested. I sympathise with you because I believe that you genuinely believe you are right. I can list out the reasons why you should have known it's before tax, but I won't bother because I know you won't listen.

In a few weeks time you probably won't even remember this unfortunate affair, so all I can say is just let it go.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
fortune_cookie, whilst I do understand your frustration, you are dealing with it in quite an immature manner...

Life is unfair, some lecturers occasionally get things wrong (in my case, he told me L'Hopital's Rule was only applicable for infinity/infinity as opposed to all indeterminate forms), sometimes they will fight to save their pride, sometimes you will be wrong etc etc.

Either way in this situation, you probably just have to suck it up and move on. If you complain and fight this hard over every single situation like this, then my friend I'm afraid you will be fighting for a very long time.

Move on, study hard for your final exams, and then 'rip it up with HDs' =)
That's pretty bad though, even I know that lol.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
lol iirc matty g (fortune cookie) posed as Riproot on the whirlpool forums, posted this exact same thing and got ripped apart there for being a whining dunce. Obviously a slow learner

HSC
N/A
OP, you were wrong, accept it. It's not even a matter of 'life is unfair' as others suggested. I sympathise with you because I believe that you genuinely believe you are right. I can list out the reasons why you should have known it's before tax, but I won't bother because I know you won't listen. In a few weeks time you probably won't even remember this unfortunate affair, so all I can say is just let it go.
Please, go ahead.

You aren't even doing commerce. I hardly see how you can consider yourself to an authority on the matter.

williamwu123

HSC
Lol hahaha OP, you have got to be a classic example of a whiner who has an inability to admit he or she is wrong. Kids, don't learn off this guy!~
That said, we are dealing with a guy who goes on whirlpool claiming finance is harder than law, law students are all lazy because no one can get a HD av, and a certain finance graduate is a "
discrace to the finance profession."
I think that is self-explanatory.

Last edited:

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Please copy and paste the emails you sent the lecturer here. It is hard to pass judgement on the matter otherwise.

HSC
N/A
Lol hahaha OP, you have got to be a classic example of a whiner who has an inability to admit he or she is wrong. Kids, don't learn off this guy!~
If anyone can give me some decent reasons why I am wrong then I will accept that I am wrong. So far all I have had was a lecturer that just said:

"You made an assumption that was incorrect. That is why you got the question wrong."

Yeah, that's some great explaining.

He also said that:

"Again, I would emphasise that the examples given in the lecture slide and text book start with pre-tax earnings, so you were incorrect to assume that the profit number was post-tax."

There is just one problem with the above. The example in the textbook clearly states that the figure is before tax.

Then he came back and said:

"Admittedly, the question could have been more precisely worded. However, you are the only student who has noted an issue with this question, and as such I would not conclude there is a general problem which requires additional marks to be awarded."

Can someone tell me how that is relavent? Just because everyone else in the class was just following the herd blind and memorising the textbook example does mean I should be penalised. Majority doesn't rule. If anything I should get a bonus for being the only person that was paying enough attention to pick the mistake. Apparently if only one student mentions the problem, it must be fine.

Then he just came back with his final smartass email.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
The lecturers comments seem sufficient to me. Yes, it was probably a poorly worded question although everyone was at the same disadvantage in that regards.

HSC
N/A
The lecturers comments seem sufficient to me. Yes, it was probably a poorly worded question although everyone was at the same disadvantage in that regards.
So if I set an HSC paper where all of the given multiple choice answers are wrong I can just come back with the defence "everyone had the same disadvantage"? You think we should just let luck sort it out?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Yes. If you don't know the answer you guess it.

HSC
N/A
Yes. If you don't know the answer you guess it.
Sorry son, that is not how it works.

If there is a problem with a question it should be either be removed from the test (not count towards the mark) or everyone should be given to the mark.

You don't just give everyone a guess and hope that probability will make everything fair. That's crap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)