How to decline USYD 2nd Round Offer? (1 Viewer)

twistedrebel

HSC
UNSW/Usyd are more like oxford and Harvard than Yale or Harvard. Their is little difference between them and take turns at being on the top.

HSC
i dont think UNSW has ever been ranked better than USyd...
the gug seems to say something otherwise...

but prestige all the way :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Is it just me, or does anyone else's mind get boggled when someone gets such a high ATAR but chooses their course based on the prestige? I thought they were meant to be supersmart! To OP, there's good points to both courses which I'm sure you've weighed up. Hope you have fun in UNSW law.

aznchick44

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I also ended up choosing UNSW > USYD because apparently UNSW is better for Commerce/Law. Also, I've been told that USYD are full of snobs and firstly, I don't want to become one and secondly, i don't want to become marginalised by them. Of course, a part of me feels compelled to the prestige that USYD offers, but moreso I'm in it for the experience, and UNSW's culture and environment seems more relaxed compared to USYD. Secondly, something that annoyed me was that USYD gave us one day to decide, like it was sure that we would choose USYD > any other uni. Another reason was that even though USYD was quicker to get to, I'd have to walk whereas UNSW is longer to get to, but there's a bus (HAHA laziness to the max).

Carl14

HSC
prestige all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think if u asked the question, "would you rather go to HLS or YLS", you would be hard pressed to find someone who would choose yale over harvard... both reputable law schools, internationally recognised as leading in their fields...but im pretty sure 99% would choose harvard over yale...why? just the name harvard
Yale Law School ranks as the #1 law school in the US whilst Harvard Law is #2 according to US News law school rankings amongst many other ranking systems.
Also, you are completely wrong that employers will favour SLS graduates over UNSWLS graduates...I have been told that the opposite is in fact true amongst large commerical firms and IB's as USyd Law is seen as overly traditional, rigid and its course lacking in the practical edge and progressive approach to law provided by UNSW.
Finally, the prestige of USyd law is based on its age and the fact that it was the only law school in NSW for a significant period of time...this does not mean it is currently the best law school. More importantly, it does not mean it is the best law school for you which is the most important factor you should consider in choosing a law school. When I was choosing between UNSW and USyd, I was consistently told by graduates of USyd law NOT to choose it because of its prestige. You should have chosen USyd if you felt its teaching style and learning environment was best for you.

determine

Premium Member
HSC
I personally think there is far too much hype and unnecessary competition between UNSW and USYD. At the end of the day, there are certain factors that weigh more strongly in the decision-making process for different people - I had enough to study combined law at UNSW and USYD, as my atar was 99.70, however, having received a cadetship (which is located in the city), I figured that UTS is the best way to go since it is extremely close to where I'm going to be working. Also, receiving the Vice Chancellor's scholarship was another incentive as well. It just comes down to your individual circumstances - some prefer the prestige, some the culture, some the location, some the nature of the course or what others have said about the uni's. Just make your own choice, and don't be swayed by the prejudices of others because as we can see above, everyone values different things in a uni and people's perceptions are shaped by so many variables. that's just my two cents worth, lol.

HSC
Yale Law School ranks as the #1 law school in the US whilst Harvard Law is #2 according to US News law school rankings amongst many other ranking systems.
Also, you are completely wrong that employers will favour SLS graduates over UNSWLS graduates...I have been told that the opposite is in fact true amongst large commerical firms and IB's as USyd Law is seen as overly traditional, rigid and its course lacking in the practical edge and progressive approach to law provided by UNSW.
Finally, the prestige of USyd law is based on its age and the fact that it was the only law school in NSW for a significant period of time...this does not mean it is currently the best law school. More importantly, it does not mean it is the best law school for you which is the most important factor you should consider in choosing a law school. When I was choosing between UNSW and USyd, I was consistently told by graduates of USyd law NOT to choose it because of its prestige. You should have chosen USyd if you felt its teaching style and learning environment was best for you.
You would still be hard pressed to find a student who would choose Yale over Harvard...
Be serious, if i went around uni and asked (not that i would) which uni they would rather go to, theyd probably say harvard....

and regarding the statement abt employers from commercial firms and IBs perceiving the SLS course as rigid etc etc..........well i clearly said "law profession"..but i suppose you could be referring a commercial firm to a commercial law firm....

HSC
If the entire UNSW Law faculty moved to UWS, are you telling me that you would still choose the 'new UWS' over USyd? lol

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Yes

Because I'm not a retarded child

BUT DAH PLACE I GOES TO HAS BIG HOGWARTZ BUILDINS I IS BEETER

furansugo

HSC
Hate to bump an old message with a response which is barely relevant, but I'm honestly facepalming at whoever's saying that everyone would choose Harvard over Yale. It's about a 60-40 split, and besides, if all you know about the universities is their name, you're probably not going to get far if you go to them...

In response to USyd vs UNSW, I think it's got more to do with the quality of the other degree taken. If you're doing science, you probably don't want to go to UNSW. Commerce/law would almost certainly be better at UNSW though. What attracted me to UNSW's law program was the quality of teaching and the emphasis on discussions. It seemed more relevant. The mentoring program through the Scientia scholarship was also pretty impressive. Both USyd and UNSW have connections, and after a point, it matters what you do with your degree and the opportunities. If UNSW has more clinics that appeal to you, go there. If you think you can get more out of USyd, go there.

I'm not studying law at either UNSW or USyd, although I seriously considered both options. I'm going to Yale... and yes, I did get into Harvard as well, and I turned it down :p

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
^^ I would say UNSW is better for Physical sciences and USYD is better for Life sciences.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
I'm not studying law at either UNSW or USyd, although I seriously considered both options. I'm going to Yale... and yes, I did get into Harvard as well, and I turned it down :p
Nice try ANU

Deathless

HSC
Hate to bump an old message with a response which is barely relevant, but I'm honestly facepalming at whoever's saying that everyone would choose Harvard over Yale. It's about a 60-40 split, and besides, if all you know about the universities is their name, you're probably not going to get far if you go to them...

In response to USyd vs UNSW, I think it's got more to do with the quality of the other degree taken. If you're doing science, you probably don't want to go to UNSW. Commerce/law would almost certainly be better at UNSW though. What attracted me to UNSW's law program was the quality of teaching and the emphasis on discussions. It seemed more relevant. The mentoring program through the Scientia scholarship was also pretty impressive. Both USyd and UNSW have connections, and after a point, it matters what you do with your degree and the opportunities. If UNSW has more clinics that appeal to you, go there. If you think you can get more out of USyd, go there.

I'm going to NYU.

furansugo

HSC
Um I'm dropping out of ANU at the end of the semester. The US starts in late August; offers came out in late March (after ANU started). Got into Princeton as well as Harvard and Yale, but meh, believe whatever you want.

Last edited:

theMoment

HSC
Um I'm dropping out of ANU at the end of the semester. The US starts in late August; offers came out in late March (after ANU started). Got into Princeton as well as Harvard and Yale, but meh, believe whatever you want.
Again, nice try, but isn't law in the USA a graduate degree? lol.

furansugo

HSC
Yup, law's postgrad, but I'm not even doing law in Australia at the moment (although I almostttt did a combined degree, which is why I posted in here :/). I'm doing a bachelor of arts or science in the US; I'm doing science here at the moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)