How to English? (1 Viewer)

IfYouNeedLove

HSC
Okay, so here's my problem:
At the start of Year 11 I was doing extremely well at english with my first asessment earning an 89% (Which I think is perfectly reasonable) and so I thought I had no problem.

Throughout the year my teacher has gotten progressively worse and she would now have to be one of the worst teacher i've ever had. My lats prelim assessment I actually failed (45%). I am trying extremely hard but I just don't seem to be getting how she teaches or what she is teaching. We have her until the end of this term and I fear that I will end up doing badly in English. What should I do?

They won't let me move classes, and I can't really get a tutor for it.

(NB: I do advanced).

IfYouNeedLove

HSC
Actually like English Literature.

Unless it's standard, then all you have to do is memorise a few technique responses and your are 90%+ guarantee.

You don't need a teacher for "English".

I have read 4 related texts for belonging plus my prescribed. So I DO like reading. It's just the analysis part as well as constructing actual essays that I don't quite get and my teacher won't help me with it. Is there any resources I can use for learning analysis plus writing essays?

Osborn

HSC
Ouch unlucky, I hear that an English teacher can really make/break you.
get tutoring? , haha
Read past essays? Learn their structure?
I find it really helpful to memorise a list of words to use as vocab, if thats any help.

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
Sparknotes is your new best friend.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Actually like English Literature.

Unless it's standard, then all you have to do is memorise a few technique responses and your are 90%+ guarantee.

You don't need a teacher for "English".
It's more difficult to get a band 6 in standard than it is in advanced.

aftab1295

HSC
N/A
why exactly is that? people keep saying that but i don't get how. can you please explain?

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
why exactly is that? people keep saying that but i don't get how. can you please explain?
Because in the HSC you're marked as a cohert for each subject. As you know, English is compulsory for all, this means all your typical fully sik hektic lebo bruhz do Standard english as well. And after 5-6 years of high school, you should have a fair idea that not all kids are as bright as others. Sooooo.... what happens when you get these not so bright kids doing standard, mixed with average kids? Everyone gets scaled down! Unless you're absolutely at the very top for standard english, there's a very very very low chance of you getting a b6 :S.

Now with Advanced, people are generally put off by the 'extra' (it isn't even much) work, and mainly by Shakespeare. This leaves the hardworkers only to do Advanced english, and obviously they'll be of higher intellect and with high work ethics than your average eshay adlayz. This places a good foundation for the whole Advanced English cohert to attempt to score higher marks as not many people are 'dragging' them down.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Because they scale/align/moderate against us due to picking a shit subject with shit students and *easy* content (same as advanced content)

greenboxes

HSC
N/A
This guy here wrote an essay writing guide which is HSC gold : http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=242668&page=1

Read bloody all of it. I had no clue how to construct an essay until I found this at the beginning of the year, read through it thoroughly, memorised the format and now, whenever we have an essay I don't pay attention to the teacher after working out my thesis. Have gotten 18/20s in every essay during year 11, which is with sub-par effort at that. Anyway, once you know how to construct you should be fine with finding evidence/connecting+contrasting observations for your close textual analysis.

yours

HSC
This guy here wrote an essay writing guide which is HSC gold : http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=242668&page=1

Read bloody all of it. I had no clue how to construct an essay until I found this at the beginning of the year, read through it thoroughly, memorised the format and now, whenever we have an essay I don't pay attention to the teacher after working out my thesis. Have gotten 18/20s in every essay during year 11, which is with sub-par effort at that. Anyway, once you know how to construct you should be fine with finding evidence/connecting+contrasting observations for your close textual analysis.
This is true. I read that thing when I was in year 11 and it did help me a lot (It's ridiculous I learnt what a topic sentence was in year 11 off an internet site and not from a teacher.)
There are many 'problems' you can have with english, but I do not think a tutor is necessary. You can give your teacher practise essays if need be, and their feedback is as valid as any tutor's (if not more so). (I just finished English today yay!) It's hard to know what your problem is without an example. Post an essay.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

THIS!!!
I found this after my half yearlies for English... my first essay marks were 5/10 and 7/10... After this essay I got 15/15, 17/20, 20/20, 18/20, 17/20, 13/15.
I recommend it!
It brought me up from =25th/102 to =8th/102

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)