How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)-99+ ATAR graduate (1 Viewer)

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

Hey Strawberrye, thanks for the valuable advice you've provided throughout the thread. I was just wondering what would be the best method to improve in Advanced English in Year 11, and how to get ahead during the rest of the year and in Year 12?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Hey Strawberrye, thanks for the valuable advice you've provided throughout the thread. I was just wondering what would be the best method to improve in Advanced English in Year 11, and how to get ahead during the rest of the year and in Year 12?
I think if you read through the first few pages of this thread carefully, I have provided subject specific advice on my top tips for Advanced English and studying ahead for different subjects which is applicable for both year 11 and year 12. Perhaps if you described more specifically what exactly you are struggling with English right now, and what subjects you do and how do you usually study for these subjects and how well you are performing/thinking you are performing in these subjects currently, I might offer you more personalised advice on how you can get ahead for the rest of the year:)

SammyT123

HSC

Hey mei

What did your study timetable look like? Did you leave specific spaces for homework? Or did you just stick with a to do list.

For me, I don't have any spots for homework, and I just count it inside my study time. I do 1 hour of homework and 3 hours of study per weekday, and nothing at all on weekends (due to tutoring)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Hey mei

What did your study timetable look like? Did you leave specific spaces for homework? Or did you just stick with a to do list.

For me, I don't have any spots for homework, and I just count it inside my study time. I do 1 hour of homework and 3 hours of study per weekday, and nothing at all on weekends (due to tutoring)

Hi Sammy,
I didn't actually do a study timetable, my year adviser tried to taught our cohort how to make one multiple times throughout our senior years, but it never clicked with me. I always sticked with a to-do list, although I also have a sound knowledge of how to make a solid study timetable if I ever needed to make one. What do you do in your study time?

For everyone else, I think this link provides a nice illustration of some of the key tips required to excel in senior high school, feel free to check it out!: http://www.wikihow.com/Excel-in-High-School

SammyT123

HSC
How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

Hi Sammy,
I didn't actually do a study timetable, my year adviser tried to taught our cohort how to make one multiple times throughout our senior years, but it never clicked with me. I always sticked with a to-do list, although I also have a sound knowledge of how to make a solid study timetable if I ever needed to make one. What do you do in your study time?

For everyone else, I think this link provides a nice illustration of some of the key tips required to excel in senior high school, feel free to check it out!: http://www.wikihow.com/Excel-in-High-School
Thanks for the quick reply

I currently do physics, chemistry 3 units of math, economics , advanced English and as we need 12 units in year 11, I do SLR (just sport, no hwk/exam)

As it's still early in the term , I'm not sure what to do.

In my study time, I plan to memorise notes from other state rankers and then do past papers. For maths I just do Cambridge exercises.

So overall, I spend one hour doing tutor hwk at 5am, 4 hours of school work including homework and assignments per day

How exactly would you go about using a to do list and can you provide me an example of one ? (Like do you start your list when you get home or at the start of the week)

Also, Do you use a diary and what for?

Ps . You should consider motivational speaking :)

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Thanks for the quick reply

I currently do physics, chemistry 3 units of math, economics , advanced English and as we need 12 units in year 11, I do SLR (just sport, no hwk/exam)

As it's still early in the term , I'm not sure what to do.

In my study time, I plan to memorise notes from other state rankers and then do past papers. For maths I just do Cambridge exercises.

So overall, I spend one hour doing tutor hwk at 5am, 4 hours of school work including homework and assignments per day

How exactly would you go about using a to do list and can you provide me an example of one ? (Like do you start your list when you get home or at the start of the week)

Also, Do you use a diary and what for?

Ps . You should consider motivational speaking :)

How are you going to memorise notes for preliminary? I would presume there to be very little, if at all, state ranking resources for the preliminary level. I myself are not a big fan of pure memorisation of other people's notes without doing any small summary of your own, because you have to bear in mind that notes, at the time they were written, state ranking or not, is often intended for personal use, so does not necessary includes all the information you need to know (because if the person writing it already know the information extremely well, they will not include that piece of information in their notes, but you might not know it). In general, it is better to process the information you learnt in your own words in some way-you will retain things for better (if you don't believe me, you can try). Sometimes textbook questions are a great avenue to consolidate your knowledge, so don't always go straight to past paper questions at the start of the year, start with textbook questions, then progress to past paper ones.

I have actually listed out the principles of a good to-do list earlier on this thread, just in case you missed it, I will copy and paste it in here again for your easy reference (these are things you need to take into account for a good to do list):

1)Always be realistic-don't assign excessive amount of work that you cannot achieved in the designated amount of time you have set aside for yourself

2)Make sure you are flexible-so you can make adjustments to your timetable/to-do list when extra-curricular and any other unforseen circumstances comes up.

3)Make sure you are studying at times optimal to your concentration and alertness level. Don't assign studying at night if you can't concentrate during that time

4)Include social activities, work commitments, relaxation time into your timetable/to-do list-a balanced lifestyle is essential for long term academic success

5)Make sure you follow your timetable/to do list as closely as possible and try not to have too many carry over tasks to add onto tomorrow's workload. With lots of trial and error, you will find a way of organising time that you will feel comfortable with and which works for you

My to-do list was a bit peculiar, in that I actually put more than was possible for me to finish in one day, so in that sense, it was a never ending to do list, I found that this way I was able to maximise my work efficiency. But obviously I still left time every day for myself to relax. I used my school diary to record key upcoming assessments and when different tests are coming up, strangely, ever since I started uni, I have never found the need to use a diary at all.

I did consider motivational speaking, but I can't drive, so that's a big deterrent:)

SammyT123

HSC

How are you going to memorise notes for preliminary? I would presume there to be very little, if at all, state ranking resources for the preliminary level. I myself are not a big fan of pure memorisation of other people's notes without doing any small summary of your own, because you have to bear in mind that notes, at the time they were written, state ranking or not, is often intended for personal use, so does not necessary includes all the information you need to know (because if the person writing it already know the information extremely well, they will not include that piece of information in their notes, but you might not know it). In general, it is better to process the information you learnt in your own words in some way-you will retain things for better (if you don't believe me, you can try). Sometimes textbook questions are a great avenue to consolidate your knowledge, so don't always go straight to past paper questions at the start of the year, start with textbook questions, then progress to past paper ones.

I have actually listed out the principles of a good to-do list earlier on this thread, just in case you missed it, I will copy and paste it in here again for your easy reference (these are things you need to take into account for a good to do list):

1)Always be realistic-don't assign excessive amount of work that you cannot achieved in the designated amount of time you have set aside for yourself

2)Make sure you are flexible-so you can make adjustments to your timetable/to-do list when extra-curricular and any other unforseen circumstances comes up.

3)Make sure you are studying at times optimal to your concentration and alertness level. Don't assign studying at night if you can't concentrate during that time

4)Include social activities, work commitments, relaxation time into your timetable/to-do list-a balanced lifestyle is essential for long term academic success

5)Make sure you follow your timetable/to do list as closely as possible and try not to have too many carry over tasks to add onto tomorrow's workload. With lots of trial and error, you will find a way of organising time that you will feel comfortable with and which works for you

My to-do list was a bit peculiar, in that I actually put more than was possible for me to finish in one day, so in that sense, it was a never ending to do list, I found that this way I was able to maximise my work efficiency. But obviously I still left time every day for myself to relax. I used my school diary to record key upcoming assessments and when different tests are coming up, strangely, ever since I started uni, I have never found the need to use a diary at all.

I did consider motivational speaking, but I can't drive, so that's a big deterrent:)
Thankyou Sooo much

I don't think learning content is an issue for me.Read read read, practice practice practice and repeat.

Even though this is how I do it, would this be your approach ?? Somehow it seems abit too mechanical
(thinking of the sciences here)

It's a really good point you made: " notes, at the time they were written, state ranking or not, is often intended for personal use, "
Notes from state rankers are simple enough to find if you have the right connections :)
I'll make my own notes, and then look at the others to check if I've covered everything.

Do you type or write them?

In terms of a to-do list, I guess it's fine if I make it in the afternoon after I return. Problem is I might end up doing more work in one subject and not the others.

Something that works for me is a "mix" in between the two. I'll make a timetable with one hours slots for each subject. Then on a separate piece of paper, I'll write what I want to achieve for the whole week for each subject

Example -----

Econ: Do first point on assignment by end of week
Chem: Write notes on part 1 by end of week
Etc.

So when I sit down to study, I
1) check timetable for what subject
2) check to do list for what to do in that hour

They say that it's hard to picture someone's personality online, but I can tell. Your an amazing person :)

Hope you enjoy your time at uni :)
-SammyT

sadpwner

HSC
N/A

Do you have advice for learning new 4 unit content? They tend to be new concepts and sometimes are difficult to learn. Then after learning them any advice for practicing them? I heard past papers are great, but I only have access to the hsc papers.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Thankyou Sooo much

I don't think learning content is an issue for me.Read read read, practice practice practice and repeat.

Even though this is how I do it, would this be your approach ?? Somehow it seems abit too mechanical
(thinking of the sciences here)

It's a really good point you made: " notes, at the time they were written, state ranking or not, is often intended for personal use, "
Notes from state rankers are simple enough to find if you have the right connections :)
I'll make my own notes, and then look at the others to check if I've covered everything.

Do you type or write them?

In terms of a to-do list, I guess it's fine if I make it in the afternoon after I return. Problem is I might end up doing more work in one subject and not the others.

Something that works for me is a "mix" in between the two. I'll make a timetable with one hours slots for each subject. Then on a separate piece of paper, I'll write what I want to achieve for the whole week for each subject

Example -----

Econ: Do first point on assignment by end of week
Chem: Write notes on part 1 by end of week
Etc.

So when I sit down to study, I
1) check timetable for what subject
2) check to do list for what to do in that hour

They say that it's hard to picture someone's personality online, but I can tell. Your an amazing person :)

Hope you enjoy your time at uni :)
-SammyT

Hi Sammy,
Thank you for the kind compliments and well wishes:)

I think I don't really judge whether an approach is mechanical or not, since one of the very first sentences of this thread/guide was my explicit recognition that everyone is unique and learns in different ways, as long as how you are currently studying is helping you to achieve your desired marks/grades, I don't see a significant compulsion to change the practice. For me, when I studied the sciences, I would read, do practice questions based on each chapter that I read, before moving onto the next, eventually throughout the term I would finish every single question that is worth doing in two-three major textbooks for that science subject and then nearer to exams, I would start attempting past paper questions. All the best of luck with your senior studies, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask:)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Do you have advice for learning new 4 unit content? They tend to be new concepts and sometimes are difficult to learn. Then after learning them any advice for practicing them? I heard past papers are great, but I only have access to the hsc papers.
Hi sadpwner,
I am assuming your question is referring to new 4 unit maths concepts. As with all maths concepts, practice is essential. I think Terry Lee and Cambridge are great textbooks where you can select questions to practice, and also completing any homework assigned by your school teacher is also a good start. To be honest, past papers should not be approached unless you have a very solid grasp of the concept already. Have a browse through this thread, you might find resources that are helpful to your enquiry: http://community.boredofstudies.org...15-hsc/329190/dans-resource-list-2015ers.html

ishfish

Lord of the Fries
HSC

\

Last edited:

astroman

HSC

Hi Strawberrye!

How do you deal with people who are constantly trying to psyche others out by pretending to be very smart and being passive aggressive? I'm in year 11 now, and obviously people are actually working in class this year. However, I'm kinda getting intimidated by these 'smart people' although I shouldnt because I work hard too and get really good results for the most part!
ignore them

Ambility

HSC

Hi Strawberrye!

How do you deal with people who are constantly trying to psyche others out by pretending to be very smart and being passive aggressive? I'm in year 11 now, and obviously people are actually working in class this year. However, I'm kinda getting intimidated by these 'smart people' although I shouldnt because I work hard too and get really good results for the most part!
Don't compare yourself with your class, compare yourself with the rest of the state. That's who you're really competing against.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Hi Strawberrye!

Hi Ishfish,
Why should you feel intimidated by these 'smart people'? The world can accommodate more than one star, and indeed, the greater the number of stars, the more beautiful the sky looks. I think your problem can be easily resolved if you stop comparing yourself too much with others, and focus instead on competing against yourself-because at the end of the day, that's the meaningful competitor you should compete against. If they pretend to be very smart, then they are actually not very smart at all, and their personality will one day be a downfall. Although I shouldn't rush to make too many conclusions since I don't know your classmates in real life, I also suggest perhaps try to think the best of people, because I remember I used to see a lot of people in my class when I was in year 12 as a potential 'enemy', but at the end of the day, you guys are all aiming to achieve your best and get into whatever university degree you wanted to get into. Sometimes a spirit of collaboration and assisting other people goes so much further than passive competition, this was a valuable insight that I only gained after the conclusion of my HSC. I think you should either ignore these people and continue progressing towards your goals or get to know them better and learn from their 'smart' knowledge and ways of study-and disregard their passive aggressive attitude.

Moral of all this advice is: Compete with no one but yourself, improve on nothing besides your best performance-because the sense of satisfaction of exceeding your own personal limits shall be greater than exceeding unknown personnels.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Hey Strawberrye,

In science tests, I always lose so many marks in the skills section (drawing graphs, ICAS-like questions, etc.) How should I work on this? My processing skills in science are really weak. Is it possible to study for it? I feel like I can't study for it.I'm in year 10 by the way.
Hi Nunnunana,
I think you should revise over your past tests where you lost marks over the skills section and make a summary of all the things you should include on a graph or mistakes to avoid, things like all graphs need a title, the independent variable on the x-axis, while the corresponding dependent variable is on the y-axis, both axes should be labelled with appropriate units, and drawing a line of best fit or line of best curve whenever appropriate. I guess the best thing to do is to practice on these processing skills along when you do questions for whatever science topic you may be studying right now, paying more attention to the small details can also help. To be honest, practice makes everything perfect-just do as many textbook/exam questions as you can and ALWAYS CHECK your answers/mark your work. Changing your attitude from seeing you are permanently 'weak' in your science processing skills to a mindset of improvement and realising you have the potential to consolidate your processing skills through practice will be critical to help you. Maybe you should ask your science teacher whether they have any relevant worksheets they can give out to help you on these areas:)

Music

HSC

Hii
Im currently in year 12 just finished my mid term/ half yearly exam(Didnt do that well for english and maths, while bio,physics and business are better). I never actually studied except for this mid term exam. So my question is do you think I can still get high ranks at this time of the year. I just started to actually study for my exams, do you still think it's too late to attain high ranks?

Thank you!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Hii
Im currently in year 12 just finished my mid term/ half yearly exam(Didnt do that well for english and maths, while bio,physics and business are better). I never actually studied except for this mid term exam. So my question is do you think I can still get high ranks at this time of the year. I just started to actually study for my exams, do you still think it's too late to attain high ranks?

Thank you!
Hi Music,
Your question is incredibly hard to answer given we have never met in real life and I don't know what you mean by 'high ranks' and 'didn't do that well' for exams. However, the one advice I will give you is it doesn't matter what I think, but it matters what you think-what you think will shape your actions/inactions towards your study. Rather than wasting time thinking whether you can or can't achieve high ranks, why don't you just study hard and try your best to get the best rank possible and make the rest of the HSC be one that you will complete with no regrets:). Remember, always define your HSC results and never let your HSC results define you:).

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

What do you do if you don't understand anything you do in class for a subject...in my case Chemistry.
And, is it possible to learn the Acidic Environment and Production of Materials for chemistry in 3 days?
Well, you should ask a teacher or someone who you know can answer your questions for a particular subject. I don't know by what you mean by 'you don't understand anything'-not sure whether to take you literally or metaphorically, but in general-to learn all the major concepts in 3 days for 2 topics and master them in the exam is pretty hard, though obviously not impossible. I could suggest for future reference that you leave more time to resolve problems as they arise and don't wait for before the exam otherwise they will have a snowballing effect and affect your HSC results. Best wishes for your upcoming exam-just try your best-because that's all you can do:)

astroman

HSC

What are some good ways to learn ahead? I am planning to dedicate most of the holidays to accelerating maths so it's not as hard to understand when it is taught.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

What are some good ways to learn ahead? I am planning to dedicate most of the holidays to accelerating maths so it's not as hard to understand when it is taught.
Hi Astroman,
Just a piece of general advice, might consider studying another subject or two as well, so that you don't forget everything else over the holiday as a result of concentrating too much on maths. In general, to study ahead for maths:

1)Determine what topics you want to cover

2)Read through the textbook theory on the topic, but the most importantly thing to read through is the worked examples-because it is through UNDERSTANDING these worked examples that you will know what you are expected to do, it might be helpful to make sure you understand all the work examples and cover up the working out, and try out the questions yourself.

3)Start selectively doing questions from an exercise, in general, stop doing exercise from a question when you are finding things too easy, the whole point of maths is to do enough question so you can work out the answer accurately and quickly. Beyond a certain point, repetitively doing questions that you are very good at is not going to get you very far

4)It is very unlikely you are going to understand every single thing of a concept, unless you have a particular intuition for maths, even when self-studying, hence for those concepts that you read over again and again, but still don't quite understand, make sure you circle it, make some sort of comment to ask the teacher or ask someone who knows the answer later. The point of studying ahead is not to ensure you understand everything, it is to ensure you have a strong understanding of what's expected of you so you will feel much more prepared and things stick in your head for a lot longer then if you are just exposed to the knowledge the first time it is taught at school.

5)Persevere-sometimes it may be very hard to keep your enthusiasm-but persevere through it and you will see the benefits when the school term starts. Exercising some degree of self-discipline in following a daily/weekly schedule of what you are aiming to finish would also help enormously:))

Hope this helps a bit and have a lovely Easter break:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)