How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)-99+ ATAR graduate (1 Viewer)

SabrinaSchool

HSC
N/A
Re: How to excel in senior year studies (yr 11/12)

Hi there Mei :)
I am heading into year 12 and I would just like to ask you if you could provide any tips on how to excel in Modern History and Economics?
I found myself slacking off with these 2 in year 11 and I need to stay on top of the content this year but I am not sure how I should go about it.
What would the best ways to study and make notes for these subjects be and would you recommend doing practice essays for both? :)
Thank you so so much :D

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

I am heading into year 12 and I would just like to ask you if you could provide any tips on how to excel in Modern History and Economics?
I found myself slacking off with these 2 in year 11 and I need to stay on top of the content this year but I am not sure how I should go about it.
What would the best ways to study and make notes for these subjects be and would you recommend doing practice essays for both? :)
Mei didn't do either of those subjects but for Economics I'd definitely recommend the guide that mreditor16 wrote up, he's an absolute beast at Economics :D

Here's a link: http://community.boredofstudies.org/22/economics/324354/state-rankers-guide-economics.html

As for Modern History try looking for a guide by somebody like enoilgam or just PM him your questions

Or you could start your own thread

Hope this helps :D

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

I think Crisium's recommendation of the state ranker's guide to economics on the relevant BOS forum is brilliant. From what I heard, one thing you should do with economics is stay up to date with news, because often it will stand you out from the crowd if you are able to present the most current statistics in your essay.

For Modern History, although I personally haven't done the subject, here's a short summary from a book written by 98+ ATAR students who shared their thoughts on how to excel in this subject. Hope this helps:)

When undertaking source analysis, can use the acronym
Origin
Motive
Audience
Content
Reliability and
Usefulness

Top tips for essay writing (Applicable to any humanities subject, but particularly for Modern History)
1)Find a unique perspective
2)Create a simple and clear structure: spend the time to plan your essay thoroughly to make sure it answers the question before you start writing
3)Make Your Central Thesis Clear
4)Challenge an Accepted View-challenge te your the question or key ideas and commentary relating to your text. It will differentiate your essay because it shows personal connection to the question. Make sure you explain why you disagree and integrate your position into your thesis.
5)Link Your Response to the Question: In each paragraph, tell your market how the paragraph establishes the validity of your thesis and how the paragraph answers the question.

6)Rewrite and Redraft Continuously
7)Practice Writing under Exam Conditions
8)Begin with a Quote:Make your introduction unique by finding a quote that provides insight to the question/extends your thesis, connect it to your thesis so that it provides added depth, refer to it at opportune times during your essay to highlight a significant point, only use quotes/insightrs that are relevant.
10)Find Excellent Stimulus Material/Sources

Focus on understanding content and memorising key points for History, rather than memorising essays, don't forget to write practice essays-gives you experience in adapating knowledge and key points too different question. The reason for not memorising essays is because questions for History are often difficult to predict and requires very specific answers.

Best wishes for your senior studies:)

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

Just a few questions for you Mei?

What did you do on your weekends? Intense studying? Going ahead of the class? Writing notes?

How did you use your free periods? Finishing off homework? Studying? Working ahead?

How long did you stay up every night? 9 pm? 10:30 pm? 12 am?

Thanks in advance :D

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC

What did you do on your weekends? Intense studying? Going ahead of the class? Writing notes?

How did you use your free periods? Finishing off homework? Studying? Working ahead?

Here is a post from Mei on one of rumbleroar's old threads

Due to the nature of the subjects I have chosen as well as the structure of my subjects at my school, I didn't really get much assignments throughout my HSC year, but I would usually make notes for the science subjects at the end of each week as opposed to every day, and I would write it on paper-for me, it helped a lot with my memory. But basically during the school term
1)I would assign at least 90 minutes of rest after school-so it is like 30 minutes for afternoon tea and 1 hour for dinner, I would make a to-do list of all the things I needed to do that day-preparation for assessment, homework and study(extra questions), it is usually on the subjects I do on school that day-and the list is always slightly longer than realistically what I can achieve-because I want to push myself to maximise my time efficiency

2)I would take a 5-10 minute break for each hour of study, and during that time, I would either re-hydrate myself or procrastinate on the net to relax and refresh myself-time management and planning of each session-whether mentally or on paper is extremely crucial

3)I would write down any questions I found hard or I didn't understand, and I kind of regret the fact I didn't ask these questions the very next day, but basically I would accumulate these questions, say over a period of several weeks, by which I would then ask the teacher in one go or I would try to solve the questions myself

4)I would also try to do practice papers and past HSC exam questions on the topic I was studying for-whether it was chemistry, physics or maths as soon as possible(I.e. when I did my textbook questions as well as other extra ones)

5)I would often set aside the weekend for more intensive studying/practice/reading ahead, but in general, you have to consider whether the homework will be beneficial to your understanding-because sometimes teachers set random homework that wastes time and doesn't add to your understanding, and under these very rare circumstances, I choose not to do it because of the often significant amount of exams/assessments tasks I had to study for-prioritising is everything

But I think the most important element of studying efficiently is to listen in class to what the teacher have to say, because if you understand the content in class, you don't have to waste the time to re-learn the concepts yourself at home, and of course-you need to find a source of motivation and consistent self-discipline to ensure you consistently study very hard both during the term and the school 'holidays' to maximise your chance to getting the best ATAR possible. Best wishes for the year:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

How I used my weekends really depended on what was due in the coming week, if I have got a big assignment due, then I would spent more of my weekend working on that assignment, I do a combination of writing notes, going ahead of class and studying, but going ahead of class is mainly assisted by studying in school holidays rather than on the weekends since I often have other committments.

I didn't actually have much free periods, only two per week due to the subjects I was doing, I would love to tell you that I was studying 24/7, but I am a normal person, and often in my free period I would just wind down with friends while doing some light studying. One can't be a rubberband and be stretched 100% all the time.

I never stayed past 12am, and actually I am usually in bed by 10:30pm, a habit that I have kept even until now when I am in uni. A lot of people erroneously think that people who get good results stay up a lot longer, but scientific research has proven, that getting a good amount of sleep is essential for achieving good academic success. If you manage your time well enough, you should be able to sleep at normal times and still get good results.

Hope this helps and all my best wishes for you to ace your HSC:)

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

How I used my weekends really depended on what was due in the coming week, if I have got a big assignment due, then I would spent more of my weekend working on that assignment, I do a combination of writing notes, going ahead of class and studying, but going ahead of class is mainly assisted by studying in school holidays rather than on the weekends since I often have other committments.

I didn't actually have much free periods, only two per week due to the subjects I was doing, I would love to tell you that I was studying 24/7, but I am a normal person, and often in my free period I would just wind down with friends while doing some light studying. One can't be a rubberband and be stretched 100% all the time.

I never stayed past 12am, and actually I am usually in bed by 10:30pm, a habit that I have kept even until now when I am in uni. A lot of people erroneously think that people who get good results stay up a lot longer, but scientific research has proven, that getting a good amount of sleep is essential for achieving good academic success. If you manage your time well enough, you should be able to sleep at normal times and still get good results.

Hope this helps and all my best wishes for you to ace your HSC:)
Thanks heaps Mei you're an absolute legend :D

Good luck in your uni studies!

I doubt somebody of your calibre would need the luck though :p

astroman

HSC

Hey Mei, did u ever have open book exams during the HSC year? If so could you please share some tips on how to ace them? I will have one for physics during the first week of term 2

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC

Hi Mei,

so im in year 10 this year so I'm sure i will be referring to this guide later in my studies. I did IPT this year, so if i did well in it that means i have one less subject to do in year 12.

I was pretty excited for year 11, but now im not really feeling it - it seems like there is no room to breathe in the senior years... does anyone ever go out on weekends, maybe even before school for breakfast, or after school to a cafe (we have a cafe right down the road from our school, so it serves a great part of my school life)?
You said in the holidays you went out 2-3 times a week! That doesnt sound like a lot at all!!
I'm going on german exchange these summer holidays, so that means i won't be able to 'prepare' for year 11 too well... is that okay?
I dont think im going to be very motivated at all in the next years, because i dont have any goals i want to achieve. The course im thinking of doing requires an 80 ATAR, and if i dont get that, i can get 70 an add a portfolio to it and will still be able to get in. The only reason i might want 99+ is to get a scholarship for $2000. And at the moment thats not really motivational enough.
I like to make movies, and i do a lot during the school year, will i even have time for that anymore??
Arg, sorry if this is already answered, im just feeling pretty not-excited for year 11/12 anymore :(

astroman

HSC

yes year 11 was not too stressful, it gets pretty difficult when exams are close but the rest is easily manageable, year 12 is where the games begin

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad

Therese98

HSC

yes year 11 was not too stressful, it gets pretty difficult when exams are close but the rest is easily manageable, year 12 is where the games begin
Yep, I agree. There is way too much hype about how difficult the whole year is. For me, it was only some bits that were stressful, the rest was way easier than I expected.

Lithone

HSC

I was pretty excited for year 11, but now im not really feeling it - it seems like there is no room to breathe in the senior years... does anyone ever go out on weekends, maybe even before school for breakfast, or after school to a cafe (we have a cafe right down the road from our school, so it serves a great part of my school life)?
You said in the holidays you went out 2-3 times a week! That doesnt sound like a lot at all!!
I'm going on german exchange these summer holidays, so that means i won't be able to 'prepare' for year 11 too well... is that okay?
I dont think im going to be very motivated at all in the next years, because i dont have any goals i want to achieve. The course im thinking of doing requires an 80 ATAR, and if i dont get that, i can get 70 an add a portfolio to it and will still be able to get in. The only reason i might want 99+ is to get a scholarship for $2000. And at the moment thats not really motivational enough.
I like to make movies, and i do a lot during the school year, will i even have time for that anymore??
Arg, sorry if this is already answered, im just feeling pretty not-excited for year 11/12 anymore :(
Yeah the jump from year 10 to year 11 is actually pretty manageable - tho the last term of year 10 at your/our school is like lmao 1000% bludge. and then add on the summer holidays and you get a really long time to slack off lol. I guess if you're really worried - refine maths & english skills cos everything else is basically content

IMO you probably shouldn't count on ipt for your atar unless you did really well in it (95+) cos you'll probably do better in your other subjects cos
1. IPT scales terribly
2. there's more competition and a mentality to do actually well in yr12 so you'll probably end up with better marks anyways

and yeah going out (and going to 88 like twice a day, ahaha) is definitely manageable in year 11! heaps of ppl including me did it. seriously don't worry too much :) enjoy the rest of being a lil junior while you can

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Hey Mei, did u ever have open book exams during the HSC year? If so could you please share some tips on how to ace them? I will have one for physics during the first week of term 2
Hi astroman, I have never had open book exams during the HSC, but I have had open book exams in uni, and essentially I think the top tip I can share is that to be as prepared as if it wasn't open book. Open book exams often mislead people to be under prepared, with the false safety notions that you could always look up something you don't remember, but this precisely wastes very precious time and just because it is open book is no excuse to be prepared any less. Normal tips apply otherwise, such as reading through the task description carefully, making sure you meet as much of the marking criteria as possible and other points of awareness which I have already raised in other parts of my guide.

Would you be able to give some advice on making notes for English? What did you do - I didn't see it already in your posts. I've started a thread here:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/7/english-advanced/329400/how-make-english-notes.html
I usually don't make notes for English, so I didn't made explicit advice. I think essentially when you make notes for English, you consider what kind of assessments you have and you make notes that will assist you to prepare for your assessments, for example, making notes based on the rubric often involved identification of possible main themes in a certain module and consider how this could apply with specific textual techniques and examples from the particular text that you are studying. But bear in mind the final point of making notes is often to write essays, so make sure that your notes assist you in writing essays, because if they don't, then you might need to revise your notes or method of studying to be fully productive to maximising your marks in the exam:) Hope this helps:)

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Hi Mei,

so im in year 10 this year so I'm sure i will be referring to this guide later in my studies. I did IPT this year, so if i did well in it that means i have one less subject to do in year 12.

Hi Kittyrules,
Thank you for your question, I think your question touches on a very important aspect of humanity, and that is, we are all very different. There is a great emphasis on boredofstudies of academic excellence, particularly on these forums, but I am fully aware that there are many other types of excellence to pursue, whether it be a sporting dream, whether it be a dream of becoming a graphic/game designer or many others that may not necessarily fit the dominant conventional path but are nevertheless valuable as dreams.

People definitely go out during year 11 and year 12, it is an exciting time for those who wants to test out their extremes, how good their time management skills is going to be, how much stress they could endure, how much more fast paced they could handle with never ending assessments and exams. There is definitely room to breathe if you try to find room. For me, amongst the hectic schedule of assessments, I always gave myself some time to dance, I wasn't a particularly good dancer, but listening to the music and dancing to my own rhythm made me enter into another world that is entirely my own, one where I was welcomed by the music, one where I did not need to care or worry about the gaze of onlookers, one where I truly belonged. Take some time out everyday to do a thing that you enjoyed, because in the end, you will find that these are times well spent, not wasted in any way.

I was an extreme case. I valued studying quite a lot, particularly in high school, I knew studying a lot was the only way to achieving my dream degree, i.e. involving the study of law, and hence I knew I didn't have much option but to sacrifice some fun and just focus on my studies in order to achieve a longer term dream. That doesn't have to apply to everyone, it is not a solid rule, as I have made a disclaimer earlier on in my guide, none of the advice was meant to be solid. It was just a sharing of my personal experiences, often based on my own personality traits of being a slight introvert, and as such, doesn't need to be followed, perhaps just considered as a very rough guideline.

Congratulations on going to German exchange, it will definitely be another experience to broaden your horizons and experience of this world. As I have said in this guide, psychological preparation for the greater workload of year 11 and year 12 is far more important than academic preparation. Relish in this holiday, enjoy the experience and stop worrying about the future too much. Enjoy the present moment and live life to the fullest.

Motivation is a product of goals and thoughts, if you changed your thoughts from I am not going to be very motivated to I may not be motivated now, but I can be motivated by establishing some solid goals, having an unstable/flexible way of thinking rather than a stable way of thinking is going to assist you to change your mindset to a more positive one. You do have a goal to achieve, I don't think you should set an ATAR goal of 99+, from the sound of it, it is pretty meaningless and will never be quite intrinsic enough to motivate you. Consider the course that requires 80+ATAR, besides the ATAR requirements, what extra-curriculars can you do that relates to the course, that will assist you to be one step ahead of your peers. By the sounds of it, it might be a course possibly related to cinematography and design, which might be competitive in terms of job prospects, perhaps looking for any work experience opportunities(even if they are for free) will leave you much more likely to be working in your dream job after you graduate if you do have the extra time.

You can continue to make movies, continue to pursue your dreams and hobbies, because they define who you are. The HSC is not two years where you lose yourself, it is just that sometimes you have to sacrifice some things or moderate some of your hobbies to achieve that final dream, but in this instance, making movies helps you to achieve your dream, and actually is beneficial to it, may consider posting on youtube so you can get some constructive comments on how you can improve or how people find your type of movies. But just prioritise your studies, so that you don't spent so much time indulging in movie making that you slip behind your studies completely.

Perhaps your lack of excitement for the senior years has also arose from some of the rumours and stress you think you will be facing. Perhaps stop thinking so excessively about it, and just focus on how you are going to get the most out of your German exchange, in terms of meeting friends, getting to be more immersed in the culture and language. ATAR requirements are not the only goals in life worth pursuing, there are many non-academic goals that are equally important, i.e. spending more time with family and friends, taking care of our health etc. As long as you do things in moderation and truly keep a 'balanced' lifestyle in the best sense of the world, you will thrive, nor just survive year 11 and year 12. Stress less, smile more and embrace the new experiences. Your mindset is the only thing standing between you and your goals, so change your mindset and you will be one step closer. Remember, you are not alone, there are others on the BOS forums, there are your family and friends who will be standing by your side.

Best wishes for the next two years, I wish you a fabulous summer holiday and if you ever have any more questions, feel free to ask on this thread:)
From Strawberrye:) (with much love:))

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC

hey Strawberrye, THANKYOU SO MUCH!!!

thanks for taking your time out to write such a long, lovely reply, it truly touched my heart. :) i'll be sure to enjoy germany and living with a wonderful host family and not stress too much about the senior years. I've applied for a few volunteer film crew for AFTRS and various other places, and my work experience week is in 3 weeks (so excited!) at a film set, so im powering down that road trying to get connections. I guess i havent even been in year 11 yet, and i'll feel all the feels in due time, when they come, no need to freak out about it now.

if you want to see a short film i made last term, its only a 1 minute long, its in my sig. or here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66OnvaUYrl0
share it if you like :D

yeah and i got my whole grade of year 10s i can vent out to if i need, and i'll be venturing on this road with them, so yeah, we'll help each other on the way.

thanks again for all that lovely support!!!

Aldous

HSC
N/A
Re: Advice from a graduated HSC student on how to excel in senior year studies(yr 11/

Just want to say this guide is absolutely amazing! You're doing a huge service by using your time to help others. We need more people like you! All the best in your future endeavours.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Hey strawberrye, I have something to ask. I've started noticing that for one of my subjects, I don't seem to grasp the info from the textbook despite reading veeeeery slowly since I forget things easily. It's starting to become a bit of a problem, and I was wondering; how do I go about fixing this issue? Is it a rocky foundation that's preventing me from understanding?
I need much more specific information before I can give you further advice, for example, what subject are you concerned about and what type of a learner are you? Usually trying to explain concepts from the textbook to a person who haven't studied the subject, and if they understand what you are saying, then you know you have a clear enough understanding, try to not just passively read, but critically think about the material and consider how it can relate to you personally, also consider asking teacher plenty of questions on what you don't understand, summarise the information you read in YOUR OWN WORDS, and try to do some practice questions so you consolidate how to apply the knowledge with exam situations. So based on the scarce information you have provided, I can't really give you specific advice on how to fix this issue or determine whether it is a rocky foundation that prevents you from understanding. Hope this helps a bit and best wishes for your studies:)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Advice from a graduated HSC student on how to excel in senior year studies(yr 11/

hey Strawberrye, THANKYOU SO MUCH!!!

thanks for taking your time out to write such a long, lovely reply, it truly touched my heart. :) i'll be sure to enjoy germany and living with a wonderful host family and not stress too much about the senior years. I've applied for a few volunteer film crew for AFTRS and various other places, and my work experience week is in 3 weeks (so excited!) at a film set, so im powering down that road trying to get connections. I guess i havent even been in year 11 yet, and i'll feel all the feels in due time, when they come, no need to freak out about it now.

if you want to see a short film i made last term, its only a 1 minute long, its in my sig. or here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66OnvaUYrl0
share it if you like :D

yeah and i got my whole grade of year 10s i can vent out to if i need, and i'll be venturing on this road with them, so yeah, we'll help each other on the way.

thanks again for all that lovely support!!!
Just want to say this guide is absolutely amazing! You're doing a huge service by using your time to help others. We need more people like you! All the best in your future endeavours.

Thank you to both of you for the praise. I am truly humbled by the compliments. I do what I can to make a small difference to this world, however minute that may be:). It's not often that I receive gratitude for my help:). All the best with future endeavours to both of you as well:) Feel free to contribute tips on this study guide that you feel haven't been covered or haven't be emphasised to adequate detail:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)