How to get a job as a trader? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grad Trader

HSC
Just wondering, how do current students get info on things like which companies are hiring traders, how much money those companies pay, what the application process involves and similar questions?

What are the best sources for this sort of information on the web at the moment?

fatboi

HSC
N/A
AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA

holy shit

i actually don't know what is funnier

1) the above mentioned post
2) that someone with no idea of the market is asking a non-specific forum for help and seriously expecting to be able to score said job

Grad Trader

HSC
Actually I've already been through the whole process myself, but I'm interested in finding out where students and traders-to-be look for information about companies etc at the moment.

It's a very competitive industry, any snippets of information can help you prepare for an interview and stay one step ahead of the competition.

I'm going to propose a contest of sorts, but before I do I would still like to hear any decent responses to the original question. Are there any good resources that aspiring traders look at? Discussion forums etc?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Attend one of the information/career nights. There's an IB and Consulting night held at UNSW soon and all the big players will be there - great chance to network and ask questions.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Actually I've already been through the whole process myself, but I'm interested in finding out where students and traders-to-be look for information about companies etc at the moment.

It's a very competitive industry, any snippets of information can help you prepare for an interview and stay one step ahead of the competition.

I'm going to propose a contest of sorts, but before I do I would still like to hear any decent responses to the original question. Are there any good resources that aspiring traders look at? Discussion forums etc?
You're either a douchebag or a shit troll.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

If you're at UNSW, you can join UNIT. I used to be a member of that society and wrote an article back in the day. I never ended up pursuing trading as a career but a couple of my mates ended up going down that route.

My tip based on the friends who got in: 1) be smart (i.e. good marks); 2) be good at maths/general ability; 3) have a history or proof of knowledge of the market/past trades/research/etc

ps. The answer to your question of how do you find out info- you research using Google and you ask your friends in the year above you who got in.

Grad Trader

HSC
Thanks for the good info Seremify and Omnipotence, I'll check those out.

Moll, try smiling occasionally. Life is more fun when you are happy.

-Gordon Gekko-

HSC
N/A
AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA

holy shit

i actually don't know what is funnier

1) the above mentioned post
2) that someone with no idea of the market is asking a non-specific forum for help and seriously expecting to be able to score said job
!!!!

HSC
N/A
Just wondering, how do current students get info on things like which companies are hiring traders, how much money those companies pay, what the application process involves and similar questions?

What are the best sources for this sort of information on the web at the moment?
You'd be hard pressed to find how much money each firm is paying. I think a careers fair is a good place to start to look for firms that want to hire graduates.

Talk to HR about the recruitment process - they'll be there are the careers fair, or send through an email.

Grad Trader

HSC
If there are any current students who are aspiring traders reading this that want to earn a few dollars while doing a bit of industry networking drop me a line.

Grad Trader

HSC
Not at all. I am looking for someone for something that I would rather not post outright to the wider community, but it's along the lines of this thread. Anyone interested can send me a message and I'll give details.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Doing some quick checks on your account nets some very interesting results (which I will withhold out of courtesy)

I must say, I have to question whether you're actually in a position to do as you claim.

Macqncheese

Banned
HSC
N/A
Doing some quick checks on your account nets some very interesting results (which I will withhold out of courtesy)

I must say, I have to question whether you're actually in a position to do as you claim.
What kind of information can you obtain through administrative powers? Would it not be simply IP addresses etc.?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Optiver boasts a 100k starting salary as part of its marketing campaign. The main catch is that their recruitment process is incredibly rigorous consisting of mental Maths/pattern recognition tests and highly pressurised interviews which force you to think and mentally calculate on the spot. Also, apparently if you fail the mental Maths test on your first go then you are blacklisted and cannot reapply with them ever again.

is a roflcopter
HSC
Not at all. I am looking for someone for something that I would rather not post outright to the wider community, but it's along the lines of this thread. Anyone interested can send me a message and I'll give details.

sign me up bro
what do i need to do

Grad Trader

HSC
Someone (I won't mention name) has requested information, but it seems your account is not configured to receive private messages. Please check your settings and try again.

Azure, I have no idea what you are referring to besides the fact that perhaps the URL I used to register and have since been posting from is foreign. That's easily explained - I am currently on a trip overseas for a mix of business (unrelated to this) and pleasure. If you have any other concerns feel free to private message me and I'll answer any questions you have.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)