• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How to get a job? I need one? (1 Viewer)

hyPROglo

HSC
Ok so after HSC i wanna get a job but im not quite sure how to go along and get one. Is there like a certain way you go along and do it or just go up and ask? From what ive heard. You have to ask, hand in a resume, or like call up or email.

Someone shed some light?

TheStallion

HSC
Apply online if it's available (large stores like Coles have this option) - if not, walk into the store and hand your resume in.

johony

HSC
um, look up jobs online or in a newspaper? otherwise you can cold call with the resume thing and have a nice stab in the dark.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Ok so after HSC i wanna get a job but im not quite sure how to go along and get one. Is there like a certain way you go along and do it or just go up and ask? From what ive heard. You have to ask, hand in a resume, or like call up or email.

Someone shed some light?
You need a resume first. So write one up.

Then try looking for work online although I doubt you'll find anything suitable because you have no previous employment experience.

Moving on, then go out to your usual retail stores and hand in your resume.

Or see if you can take advantage of any connections within your family or friends.

And repeat x # of times its takes to finally land your first job.

If you haven't already, you'll need to apply for a tax file number and also arrange for a superannuation account.

ajay12

Can count to potato
HSC
Write a resume and hand it in like a normal person. We aren't even in, nor were we ever in a recession, so that is no excuse. Find places you want to work in and hand a resume, that is catered towards that job. EG: Want to work at a video store, say movies interest you.

aussie-boy

HSC
I work at a cafe, and positions are not advertised. From time to time we (the employees) are asked to find friends etc who might be interested/the managers just go through the resumes that have been handed in recently to find someone suitable.

*Make sure your CV is 1 page only
*Ask to speak to the manager... "Hi, would I be able to speak to someone about the possibility of a job?" - and give them your CV personally.
A lot of employees won't be screwed to give the CV to the manager, as it's just something extra to do. It'll probably get left in some register drawer/in the bin. Plus, they're more likely to hire you if you can make a physical impression.
*Go in at a quiet time
*Be prepared for a 2 min interview if the employee is in the mood
-How would the role be performed effectively?
-What is it about you that would enable you to do the above?

Also NB - try applying for jobs even if you don't think you meet the requirements. There are lots of desperate people who can barely speak English applying for every job... lengthy requirements are one way of weeding them out. If you are neat, intelligent and eloquent you should be able to score almost any job - experience is only an advantage for ppl who take a long time to pick up new skills

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Write a resume, and a cover letter explaining who you are, what you want, availability etc. and just send it out to heaps of places. Also apply online for the bigger/chain stores.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)