How to get band 5 without a tutor! (2 Viewers)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
the fact that I am putting 110% in my essays and trying to improve after each one but keep getting the same result which is frastrating.
Try mixing up your study style. Or show your essays to a different teacher. Perhaps they'll be more useful.

brunx

HSC
how to get band 5 without a tutor:

dont suck so much

dan2452

HSC
Don't have much feedback on getting band 6's - but, for structure, I'd suggest showing your essays to different teachers, and ASKING for feedback on structure, etc. If they can't do that, they should be fired.

And, to answer your OP, I am VERY sure it is possible to get a band 5 in HSC without tutor. Those who get tutoring are generally aiming for a high band 6 result, which itself can can be achieved through individual effort.

Use your teachers, read great books, and also - try reading HD essays and observing thier structure and use of language. The best way to improve is by looking at 'better' works and incorporating them into your own style.

Getting a tutor isn't worth it in my opinion, even a low $20/week (x52) costs $1040 per year, which is considerable amount of money for a few more points in your HSC english exam.

ilikebeeef

HSC
If annoy of you guys out there who have finished or getting high marks please comment!! I need feedback becuase I really want to know what were your ups and downs during your HSC year.

I am annoyed that there is so much inequality in education!

Please comment on what you are going through or have experienced through school.

I believe the Dept. of Education needs to change....so much disadvantages.
Inequality of education comes from inequality of wealth. If you want "equal" education, you might as well go to a 100% communist country. But then, I'm pretty sure it's possible to get tutoring there too.

(1) SEXY - State/Example/Explain/Why, Techniques + Quotes
SEEW?

My teacher said to all of us to set realistic goals such as getting a band 5 becuase my school marks very hard!
Your teacher's bullshitting.

In the exam it doesn't really matter how your school marks you. A band 5 in the exam is the same everywhere, as is a band 6.
+1. The assessment marks get moderated according to how well your cohort does in the external exam.

Last edited:

autumn-angel

HSC
Well what do you suggest to do?

But school marks do count towards your HSC. Isn't it 50/50 thing.

50% school mark and 50% HSC test mark
its not 50% of your school mark
its your rank and thats all that counts towards the school mark on your HSC
and the even the school marks are adjusted based on externals
... calm down school doesnt affect you just try to stay on top of things
and you could still very well aim for a band 6...

dan2452

HSC
We use the TIEE method for essay strucure

Thesis
Identify (Technique, etc)
Explain
Extrapolate (compare to other texts etc)

broadway_bound

HSC
PEAL-point, example, analysis, link (for each paragraph)

1. figure out your problem i.e. expression, structure, answering the question etc.

2. make sure each point flows from the last one. use words like 'similarly in ...' or 'in contrast...'

3. get a thesaurus and make it your lover.

4. steal other peoples (good) essays and see what they have done that you haven't

5. forget about your teacher. generally english teachers are arrogant academics or miserable dylan thomas wannabees. steal his/her ideas, but ignore any wishy-washy comments.
on the other hand, if your teacher is saying stuff like 'fix this structure' they want you to actually figure it out yourself instead of giving you the answer. get revision books to help you with this.

Funkifrog

HSC
This is how to structure an essay: - TOFEES

T-Topic Sentence (Thesis)
O-Overview
F-Feature(of language)
E-Effect
E-Example
S-Sum it up

My teacher says you would do FEE at least three times each being a different paragraph and TO is one paragraph and S is a paragraph on its own.

If you do this for each prescribed text you are doing in your area of study you can just intergrate them together to write a 'whiz bang' essay at the end as my teacher says.

Your ATAR is soully based on your results in your end of year exams (Externally marked)

Your rank is based on 50/50 (Internal/external) but in the end it is the ATAR that Unis look at ranks are just braging rights.

More advice for the english.

With the creative writing piece in english in the Area of Study, have one or to prepared before going into the exam. My teacher says you should aims for the following things:

*Demonstrate:- Structural complexity (use flash backs, a circular structure things like that) and cohesion (don't just rabbit on).
* Demonstrate the use of authentic, sustained and engaging voice(s)(my teacher says the higher level responses will have different levels and layers. i.e more then one voice.)
*Take advantage of the opportunity the question presents to showcase originality (don't do something that has been done a hundred times, marks don't want to read five hundred once upon a time.....then I woke up stories.) and persctiveness.
*The machanics of language, puncuation, sentence structure and paragraphing should never be forgotten. Always apply it skilfully in your response.

The following is straight from the sheet he gave us:

I've told you this before, but TRY TO BE PREPARED for the task with narritive Focus on the craft of writinbg: imagery, figurative divices, syntax, puncutuation and structure:

1. Chose the present tense when composing.
2. Focus on the power of verbs.
3. Avoid to many adjectives.
4. Include figurative language - a simile is simple but effective, but metaphors are better.
5. You could use an analogy, pathetic fallacy, extended metaphor or allusion.
5. Prepare a narrative of multiple perspectives and voices.
End with a subtle insight (about belonging or what ever your area of study is)

This is just some of the stuff he gave us I might post some more later I guess.

On the topic of a tutor for English I think if you have a good teacher you won't need one for english I have one for some of my other subjects but see an english teacher from the other school here once of twice before an exam just to consolidate my ideas.

And a bit of a rant on the disadvantage issue. If you think you are disadvantaged try going to a country public school with hardly any funding and a 72% Aboriginal student intake. That is what I call disadventaged but I don't go around whinging about it I put my head down and do the best I can and in the end I pull out some really good results. Disadvantaged. However it is cool coz everyone in my school gets the 5+ points coz we are classified as a rural school. Ok rant over.

SK2010

HSC
Try mixing up your study style. Or show your essays to a different teacher. Perhaps they'll be more useful.
OMG! That is what I did and guess what happened.....my english teacher when completely nuts at me....I was about to cry becuase I think my teacher is limiting me from other students (so racist I think)...:(

SK2010

HSC
Don't have much feedback on getting band 6's - but, for structure, I'd suggest showing your essays to different teachers, and ASKING for feedback on structure, etc. If they can't do that, they should be fired.

And, to answer your OP, I am VERY sure it is possible to get a band 5 in HSC without tutor. Those who get tutoring are generally aiming for a high band 6 result, which itself can can be achieved through individual effort.

Use your teachers, read great books, and also - try reading HD essays and observing thier structure and use of language. The best way to improve is by looking at 'better' works and incorporating them into your own style.

Getting a tutor isn't worth it in my opinion, even a low $20/week (x52) costs $1040 per year, which is considerable amount of money for a few more points in your HSC english exam.

Thanks for your reply....I think my teacher should be fired, my teacher restricts ME not to give my essays to other english teacher..grrr needs to be fired...

Also thanks ... I can't afford a tutor lol (I don't have a job and my parents thinks if I get a job it may effect my studying)

ilikebeeef

HSC
Your ATAR is soully based on your results in your end of year exams (Externally marked)
No. Your ATAR is based on both internal and external.

Your rank is based on 50/50 (Internal/external) but in the end it is the ATAR that Unis look at ranks are just braging rights.
That's a bit vague. Your rank within your school is based on your internal exams. Your state rank is based on both internal and external.

And a bit of a rant on the disadvantage issue. If you think you are disadvantaged try going to a country public school with hardly any funding and a 72% Aboriginal student intake. That is what I call disadventaged but I don't go around whinging about it I put my head down and do the best I can and in the end I pull out some really good results. Disadvantaged. However it is cool coz everyone in my school gets the 5+ points coz we are classified as a rural school. Ok rant over.
+5 points is a lot of points.

SK2010

HSC
No. Your ATAR is based on both internal and external.

That's a bit vague. Your rank within your school is based on your internal exams. Your state rank is based on both internal and external.

+5 points is a lot of points.

So what are your thoughts on improving english essay writing? And how do I solve the problem of my teacher not allowing me to give my essay to other english teachers?

My teacher not only restricts me .... never helps me either....so much for an english teacher. It feels like my teacher is only there to baby sit us and thats it....

Also my teacher tells me to re heaps and I do and when I hand in my essay its always this question "Did you copy from somewhere?" I feel like yelling at her and saying "NO YOU IDIOT!" becuase when I start my essay I don't have anything in front of me and I begin like that (testing myself on what I can remember you know) It really pisses my off!!!

SK2010

HSC
So annoyed now.....I am doing my english essay and yeah.....Gwen Harwood....poems....textual integrity.....so annoying!!!!

ilikebeeef

HSC
So what are your thoughts on improving english essay writing?

Lol right now is way too early for me to give advice on English essays. :p

And how do I solve the problem of my teacher not allowing me to give my essay to other english teachers?
Well you don't have to tell your teacher about it...

My teacher not only restricts me .... never helps me either....so much for an english teacher. It feels like my teacher is only there to baby sit us and thats it....

Also my teacher tells me to re heaps and I do and when I hand in my essay its always this question "Did you copy from somewhere?" I feel like yelling at her and saying "NO YOU IDIOT!" becuase when I start my essay I don't have anything in front of me and I begin like that (testing myself on what I can remember you know) It really pisses my off!!!
Your teacher is pedantic about plagiarism, that's why.

SK2010

HSC
So what are your thoughts on improving english essay writing?

Lol right now is way too early for me to give advice on English essays. :p

Well you don't have to tell your teacher about it...

Your teacher is pedantic about plagiarism, that's why.

I didn'tell my teacher that I gave it to other my teacher just figured it out!...And yeah my teacher IS pedantic about plagiarism....but isn't every plagiarising in ways becuase then who would you write and essay without learning the text you have studied?? You know like if we read something and we intrepret it in own own way isn't that plagiarising???

ilikebeeef

HSC
I didn'tell my teacher that I gave it to other my teacher just figured it out!...And yeah my teacher IS pedantic about plagiarism....but isn't every plagiarising in ways becuase then who would you write and essay without learning the text you have studied?? You know like if we read something and we intrepret it in own own way isn't that plagiarising???
Plagiarism is unacknowledged quoting and use of others' texts. If you quote and reference things, it's not plagiarism.

dreadingtheyear

HSC
So basically to start off...

Does anyone have a tutor and do you think it is worth the money?

Because unlike me I cannot afford to pay for a tutor and I think it is a disadvantage to students like me becuase I strongly think that having a tutor is more like paying to get answers. (I am not trying to offend anyone I am just trying to figure out if tutors are what they describe themselves to be - if you get me)

At my school everyone in my advanced english class has a tutor except me :(
Which IS a disadvantage because I always get average marks which is annoying. (If you're like me - I feel your pain!)

I get PO'd when others get higher marks than brag about their english tutors....SO WHAT!

Anyways comment below please for feedback!!!
I felt the same as you when I started the HSC, I was extremely annoyed that tutors even existed and yeah to me it seems like the more financially stable you are the greater your opportunities in life. But now I think it just makes you work that much harder when you don't just sit back and watch everyone else do the work for you. How well do you think people who rely on their tutors will go in 'real life' when situations come up where they have to use their own brain... they'll be like :jaw:
I didn't have a tutor during the HSC for ANY of my subjects but I got a band 6 in English Advanced and I'm enrolled in the degree and uni I wanted. It's possible trust me, work really hard at the HSC but don't let it consume your life *Find the balance*. The best possible advise I can give for english is to read widely (that was easy for me coz I'm a book nut) and write hundreds of thousands of practice essays, creative writing, short response answers AND know your texts. Hand the practice stuff into your teachers, yes ppl actually use your teachers they are there for a reason!

SK2010

HSC
I felt the same as you when I started the HSC, I was extremely annoyed that tutors even existed and yeah to me it seems like the more financially stable you are the greater your opportunities in life. But now I think it just makes you work that much harder when you don't just sit back and watch everyone else do the work for you. How well do you think people who rely on their tutors will go in 'real life' when situations come up where they have to use their own brain... they'll be like :jaw:
I didn't have a tutor during the HSC for ANY of my subjects but I got a band 6 in English Advanced and I'm enrolled in the degree and uni I wanted. It's possible trust me, work really hard at the HSC but don't let it consume your life *Find the balance*. The best possible advise I can give for english is to read widely (that was easy for me coz I'm a book nut) and write hundreds of thousands of practice essays, creative writing, short response answers AND know your texts. Hand the practice stuff into your teachers, yes ppl actually use your teachers they are there for a reason!

Thanks that is really helpful, I just feel sometimes my teacher never wants to help me rather the teacher's pet....so annoyed at that...like I want to complain but then who would be right in this situation - a teacher how has been at the school for 10 years or the student who came three years ago...you know

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)