How to get band 5 without a tutor! (1 Viewer)

NoName91

HSC
I got band 5 with no tutor and I hate English. Advanced English isn't too difficult if you just read the question you're given and follow basic essay writing structures. State what you'll say ---> Give an example ----> Explain how this example works for constructing meaning to your thesis.

This thread title makes it sound as if it is impossible to do well without assistance outside school hours - which is rubbish.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
I don't know the details of it but my friend managed to get +5 UAI (hsc in 08) because he claimed he was underfunded and could not afford tutor. Of course he was asian and did tutor and this just fuels the stereotype that asians cheat systems. WE ARE HAXORS!

HSC
N/A
I don't know the details of it but my friend managed to get +5 UAI (hsc in 08) because he claimed he was underfunded and could not afford tutor. Of course he was asian and did tutor and this just fuels the stereotype that asians cheat systems. WE ARE HAXORS!

LOLOL Thong <_<"

SK2010

HSC
I got band 5 with no tutor and I hate English. Advanced English isn't too difficult if you just read the question you're given and follow basic essay writing structures. State what you'll say ---> Give an example ----> Explain how this example works for constructing meaning to your thesis.

This thread title makes it sound as if it is impossible to do well without assistance outside school hours - which is rubbish.
Thnaks for the advice but I am curious what do you think the teachers want in the time of an exam like I mean what are their expectations for example:

(1) are they looking at length?
(2) are they looking at construction?
(3) are they looking at readable hand writing style?

Also question: Do they mark you down if you don't finish your essay but you wrote very good paragraphs? An do they mark you down if you do finish but don't present the essay effective to convey your point? Becuase if I am to remember an essay I would like to write good clear paragraphs rather than rushing to finish...

SK2010

HSC
I just don't understand is that other school besides mine mark easy which means they a have a better advantage of getting a high ATAR than me becuase their ranks will be better than mine which well stuck bad...

Also I don't like my english teacher discouraging me because of my essays...she's a teacher forgoodness and needs to act like one and btw when we have assessments coming up my english teacher never is around more like be lazy and then a parent teacher night its like oh your son/daughter hasn't been performing well.....well maybe becuase you are never around to help us!!!!!!!

ATAR aim: 85<ME!<90 somewhere in between (hopefully)

warezfan

HSC
I think this is a silly question. I don't think anyone is capable of getting band 5 without a good tutor. Getting a band 5 or above is only possible with the careful aid and the diligent guidance of a dedicated tutoring centre such as preuni.

SK2010

HSC
I think this is a silly question. I don't think anyone is capable of getting band 5 without a good tutor. Getting a band 5 or above is only possible with the careful aid and the diligent guidance of a dedicated tutoring centre such as preuni.
Yeah probably for you! Other people ARE capable of getting band 5's like I said what are the markers expecting is your essay and if you answered that question then you'll do great!

ar7

HSC
srsly stop saying that "coz ur teachers mark hard u r being disadvantaged". my english teachers mark quite hard and others mark easy but in the end the hsc exam (external) establishes its relatively true value and whether some marks are moderated up or down. ie. if u come first in ur cohort wid 70% and in ur hsc exam u get 90%, ur hsc mark (both internal and external) will b worth 90%. also if everyone is getting marked harshly and the cohort is quite bunched together, this may be an advantage if everyone works hard and achieves significantly better in the hsc exam.

Funkifrog

HSC
No. Your ATAR is based on both internal and external.

That's a bit vague. Your rank within your school is based on your internal exams. Your state rank is based on both internal and external.

+5 points is a lot of points.
Yes five points is a lot. No I am sorry you are incorrect both my parent are teachers my mum a DP. The ATAR is not effect by your in school marks that is incorrect. You get two rankings an in school ranking obviously only based on in class stuff and an over all rank in each subject this is based on your ATAR and your in class rank. (Obviously scaled). My 'rents aren't home so I can't tell you or remember if there is an overall rank but I would doubt it. SO yes that is the truth.

SK2010

HSC
srsly stop saying that "coz ur teachers mark hard u r being disadvantaged". my english teachers mark quite hard and others mark easy but in the end the hsc exam (external) establishes its relatively true value and whether some marks are moderated up or down. ie. if u come first in ur cohort wid 70% and in ur hsc exam u get 90%, ur hsc mark (both internal and external) will b worth 90%. also if everyone is getting marked harshly and the cohort is quite bunched together, this may be an advantage if everyone works hard and achieves significantly better in the hsc exam.
I'm just upset that my teacher maybe very strict and etting me down on my goals to achieve high in english

SK2010

HSC
Question: should textual integrity be our primary concern? And do you agree or disagree? Write essay with two poems you have studied...

so what exactly would you write? Like start off with...could you:

Textual integrity should be our main concern bcuase it shows/connects things.......(but in a better formal way - this is just random) lol

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
I think you're more likely to get a higher mark in english without a tutor. I started off with a tutor in year 11, but I found that I would get crappy marks because she would tell me one thing, and I'd go and write it in an exam, but my school teachers wouldn't agree, and I'd get marked down.
So after a term in year 11, I just stopped going. I found that using what my teacher's taught me in school and intepreting that information in order to come up with my own points and then arguing that point was far better for me than what any tutor could do.

In answer to some of your questions below - I believe they can only dock off one mark if you don't have a conclusion, or an incomplete conclusion. But I think the most important thing, and what teachers are looking for, is that you answer the question using whatever points/theses you have and then sustain that argument throughout your essay with your textual analysis.

Funkifrog

HSC
Thnaks for the advice but I am curious what do you think the teachers want in the time of an exam like I mean what are their expectations for example:

(1) are they looking at length?
(2) are they looking at construction?
(3) are they looking at readable hand writing style?

Also question: Do they mark you down if you don't finish your essay but you wrote very good paragraphs? An do they mark you down if you do finish but don't present the essay effective to convey your point? Becuase if I am to remember an essay I would like to write good clear paragraphs rather than rushing to finish...
My mum was a english marker last year and the year before she can't mark them this year because I am in year twelve but in relation to you answers the following she had to say:

"QUALITY NOT QUANTITY!!!" my mothers favorite saying of course the more you can write the more marks the marker can give you but it is better to write 4-5 pages of comprihendable, cohesive, well structured work then 9-10 pages of rubbish it is about finding a nice balance.

Construction is a big one it is very important because it shows you have control over your work. It is about the way you write just as much as it is about what you write.

As long as a marker can read the word then it doesn't matter what your hand writting looks like. Just make it readable.

Always try to conclude your essay even if you don't get t owrite everything you want to write never leave it open ended just one sentence is all that is needed to sum it up even if the essay is 'finished' in yuor mind.

In creative writing however it is better to leave the story unfinished then try to rush it or finish with "then I woke up."

Last edited:

SK2010

HSC
My mum was a english marker last year and the year before she can't mark them this year because I am in year twelve but in relation to you answers the following she had to say:

"QUALITY NOT QUANTITY!!!" my mothers favorite saying of course the more you can write the more marks the marker can give you but it is better to write 4-5 pages of comprihendable, cohesive, well structured work then 9-10 pages of rubbish it is about finding a nice balance.

Construction is a big one it is very important because it shows you have control over your work. It is about the way you write just as much as it is about what you write.

As long as a marker can read the word then it doesn't matter what your hand writting looks like. Just make it readable.

Always try to conclude your essay even if you don't get t owrite everything you want to write never leave it open ended just one sentence is all that is needed to sum it up even if the essay is 'finished' in yuor mind.

In creative writing however it is better to leave the story unfinished then try to rush it or finish with "then I woke up."
tHANKS FOR THE TIP i REALLY APPRECIATE IT yeah lol (soz for cap lock - *sigh* stupid laptop keys) anyways ok I will take your advice since your mother is an english teacher lol thank her for me ok....

preetsa

HSC
Hey buddy, listen il pay for your tutoring and i know you go to Cherrybrook Technology High and ask me for the funding whenever you want :)

Funkifrog

HSC
Question: should textual integrity be our primary concern? And do you agree or disagree? Write essay with two poems you have studied...

so what exactly would you write? Like start off with...could you:

Textual integrity should be our main concern bcuase it shows/connects things.......(but in a better formal way - this is just random) lol
Not everything is about textual intergration but it is the students that can use textual intergration that get the higher marks. Instead of dealing with the texts seperatly try and "compare anr contrast" i.e. look for thinds that are the same or different. This might be ideas, concepts or techniques used. If you can comment on these it shows the marker you can make your own connection and not just what a teacher has given you.

Funkifrog

HSC
tHANKS FOR THE TIP i REALLY APPRECIATE IT yeah lol (soz for cap lock - *sigh* stupid laptop keys) anyways ok I will take your advice since your mother is an english teacher lol thank her for me ok....
Anytime she says that she is happy to give advice because she knows that sometimes it is hard if you don't agree with your teacher especially your english teacher she also says she is happy to look over your essays if you like since you can't show other teachers at your school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)