How to Get Better At Theory Based Responses (1 Viewer)

dhwanit2005

HSC
Hi,

What are the best ways for one to improve their responses in theory based questions. The numericals are fine, however I am noticing that I am consistently losing an average of one mark per question, on the theory based questions. What is the best strategy to improve my marks in these areas in order for me to improve reach the higher marks?

Also how often should I revise. Would one past module a week be okay, or something else?

Thanks in advance!

Jos:)

HSC
I think the best way is to "sign post" your answers esp in phys using dot points to show exactly what points r req for those marks. If you don't understand content, this is an easy way to find out when practicing, but also it allows the marker to see quickly what you know and where the marks are allocated. if you dont struggle with understanding the content conceptually, then this is an easy but high yield technique to increase your marks.

MJRey

HSC
For theory-based responses, give your marker the relevant scientific terminology, express your ideas in a coherent and logical format and be specific. I did Physics for my HSC last year, so I'll give a brief example. If you were to answer a question on the progression of the atomic model, then you would explain how the ideas and discoveries of one physicist inspired those of a future physicist ie. Thomson's charge-to-mass ratio determined that cathode rays were comprised of particles called electrons, Millikan determined the numerical charge of an electron thus proving charge is quantised, Rutherford created the planetary model of the atom based on the Geiger-Marsden experiment etc etc. The important thing too is to ensure that you continually refer to physics principles in your answers since your understanding of these principles and how they apply to various scenarios is the main thing that HSC markers are looking for.
Hopefully that helps!

wizzkids

HSC
All the above responses are good advice, especially correct use of the language of the syllabus.
I would also add, "a picture tells a thousand words".
If you can draw and annotate clear, relevant diagrams and graphs to explain your understanding, then your answer will remain focussed and you will save time. HSC markers love nice, clearly annotated diagrams.
Example: try explaining, using just text, the intensity of plane polarised light after passing through crossed polarizers (Malus's Law), and then draw an annotated diagram illustrating Malus's Law.
I know which type of answer I would rather mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)