• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How to improve in Mathematics?! (1 Viewer)

Memi

HSC
N/A
^Thanks. Just became a member of Maths Online again ^^
But I must admit, his monotonous voice really drones the exercise.

Are the questions on Maths Online just the basics, and it's highly possible the questions I will encounter will be of greater difficulty?~

mioumiou

HSC
^Thanks. Just became a member of Maths Online again ^^
But I must admit, his monotonous voice really drones the exercise.

Are the questions on Maths Online just the basics, and it's highly possible the questions I will encounter will be of greater difficulty?~
Yeah, I agree that the questions from their work sheets are quite straight forward. But at least you can have some basic questions to help you to understand the concepts for your new topics. If you really want to look into some harder stuff, I would suggest you to buy a copy of Cambridge Yr 11 2U maths textbook or you can get New Senior Maths by J.B Fitzpatrick.

But if you like harder questions, try Cambridge. I've seen the 2U book once and I swear it has harder stuff than the 3 Unit Maths in Focus (it's as simple as the Maths online thing but maybe a little bit harder, so please do not feel scared or anything, it's the BOOK'S problem) LOL :lol:

But yeah, try to get on hold of the 2U Cambridge (Yr 11). You can wither buy them from the retail shop or here on BOS. But try to get that book on hold ASAP cuz the half yearlies are coming, by doing those questions from the maths online worksheets won't help you ace through the exam. So yeah, I hope this helps. :)

And good luck with your studies!! :)

Memi

HSC
N/A
Okey dokey ^^ But I've been discouraged from buying textbooks as "It's only Prelims" so would it be worth it to invest in a textbook?

I might aim towards Fitzpatrick instead of Cambridge if I do purchase it however, as Cambridge would just make me feel depressed since its most likely incomprehensible for me~

hscishard

HSC
Okey dokey ^^ But I've been discouraged from buying textbooks as "It's only Prelims" so would it be worth it to invest in a textbook?

I might aim towards Fitzpatrick instead of Cambridge if I do purchase it however, as Cambridge would just make me feel depressed since its most likely incomprehensible for me~
I honestly think the layout is of Cambridge is much better. (Boring presnetation = hard to read). I'm good with Cambridge. Worked examples are good enough.

Fitzpatrick has a lot of mistakes in the Answers I've heard.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Buy a book, dont hold back, just dont bother for other subjects, since you dont really need it for others.

mioumiou

HSC

Well, in that case, I would get both but Cambridge is more helpful, since it has loads of challenging questions, topic review and have sections divided (foundation, development, challenge questions, something like that) -----> referring to the 2U book not the 3U one.
But it's your choice though. Go to the bookshop and have a look through the contents, level of hardness of those books. :uhhuh:

mioumiou

HSC
Buy a book, dont hold back, just dont bother for other subjects, since you dont really need it for others.
Yeah, just get one for maths, don't buy a lot of useless books. it's only year 11. (but it's good to have SOME resources though) :uhhuh:

Memi

HSC
N/A
Does the Cambridge text book contain different levels of difficulty? Like medium to hard to @%#! or is it just hard questions all round?

Will venture to the bookshop this weekend to purchase a Maths textbook :) Thanks for advice guys!

MR ORANGE

HSC
the only thing you can really do is constantly do practice tests I know it sounds cliche but it works really well. I did my HSC for Maths last year and for task one I got 55% and I ended up getting a band 6.

mioumiou

HSC
Does the Cambridge text book contain different levels of difficulty? Like medium to hard to @%#! or is it just hard questions all round?

Will venture to the bookshop this weekend to purchase a Maths textbook :) Thanks for advice guys!
Yes, the Cambridge (2U) does separate the questions in the levels of difficulties. The Foundation (easiest) Development (slightly harder) and Challenge (obviously the hardest). At the end of each chapter, there's a topic review with some useful questions, so that would be helpful!!

twistedrebel

HSC
do your hw, the day you get it and study before exams (e.g harder texts, past papers)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)