How to manage your reading load (1 Viewer)

themonalisa

HSC
Does anyone have any tips on how i can be smarter and more efficient with getting through the mountains of readings i have to get through in law?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
In my experience:
1. It takes time getting used to reading at this level, there isn't much you can do to speed it up other than keep at it. You will find next year you'll be a fait bit faster
2. You may never get through all of it, I rarely do but you start to learn how to decide which is vital and which is a luxury.
3. Make a list, prioritise and check it off it helps you get a handle of how much, when its due and helps you feel a sense of accomplishment when you get through some.
4. Come in before/stay back after class and do the reading then, less procrastination if you are stuck in the library

Good luck

richei

HSC
For what its worth, we've got a pretty good outline of tips over at How to Read 300 Pages | Survive Law

Ultimately though, the gist of it is:

1. Get organised, and make lists.
  2. Scan first. Start with the contents page.
  3. Use lecture notes, past student notes, or published subject summaries to guide your reading.
  4. Adapt your reading style to the type of information you are dealing with.
  5. Find your "magic hours" and make the most of that time.
  6. Proof your work.

sean1990

HSC
Just to add, I find it good to read and use a pencil to put brackets around things I want to put into my notes.

By doing this, i feel like you really get a hold of the really important issues, whilst leaving alot of the crap.

You said it correctly when you said "reading smarter" . Remember your trying to focus on the main issues in the text and what they mean, where they came from and how you would apply them. Don't get too bogged down with judges comments which go on and on (unless it is important).

Always try to make notes and compare these to your lectures. The lectures are designed to go through the (most important) content normally aimed for your exams/ assignments.

you -nG-

HSC
Also take advantage of any opportunities you have to just take out some articles...for example travelling places, or just before you go to sleep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)