How to motivate myself to study consistently/stop being distracted? (1 Viewer)

aarzoo

HSC
What if you put in the effort but don't get any results back???
What do you do then?

ShadowLighte

HSC
Procrastination is the worst disease a year 12 student can catch. However, if we're brutally honest I think we'd all have to say that it effects us a some point. However, I can be overcome! This isn't from a scientific study or anything, but it does wonders to my study style and gives me a boost. When I get unmotivated, when I am bludging around or when I am not studying competently, I either lay into my boxing bag, or do as many push-ups and chin-ups as I can. What this does psychologically I have no idea, but it does take your mind off school for a bit, allowing you to get your head back in order!
Sorry if this doesn't help, but it might work!
It could be because you're releasing all the tension or whatnot from your system and takes your mind of studying and worrying about studying so it clears your head and you're pumped to focus. Also, it increases oxygen flow to your brain as well as blood circulation :)

Last edited:

ShadowLighte

HSC
Procrastination is the worst disease a year 12 student can catch. However, if we're brutally honest I think we'd all have to say that it effects us a some point. However, I can be overcome! This isn't from a scientific study or anything, but it does wonders to my study style and gives me a boost. When I get unmotivated, when I am bludging around or when I am not studying competently, I either lay into my boxing bag, or do as many push-ups and chin-ups as I can. What this does psychologically I have no idea, but it does take your mind off school for a bit, allowing you to get your head back in order!
Sorry if this doesn't help, but it might work!
It could be because you're releasing all the tension or whatnot from your system and takes your mind of studying and worrying about studying so it clears your head and you're pumped to focus.

But LOL, what if you can do push ups/ chin ups/ don't have that kind of equipment?

Morgdawg1

HSC
What are you distracted with? Try eliminating the distractions.

I always set myself up with a hot drink, candles & my school work with some calm music. It helps me, but I don't have much of a social life to be distracted with :)

-Morgann

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Electric shock every time you get distracted?
Or maybe try reading your notes whilst pacing or running or something?

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
True, but consistent study will always override cramming imho.
if you're aiming for 99 I reckon you need to do some form of consistent study (provided you have some form of natural intelligence)

if you're somewhat naturally smart (i.e. above average but not quintessential) you can easily get 90+ with cramming

and sometimes it's not worth it to devote your life to something as insignificant as the HSC

two months into uni so far and nobody gives two shits about atars, I haven't heard one kid talking about it and it's a completely different scene, you realise "fk the atar means jack all" just like people were telling me last year but I didn't believe them

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm probs in the 2nd category, but I can't trust myself with cramming regardless.

Of course, HSC ain't the end be all, but you still want to do well anyway.
oh of course

what I'm saying is, it's completely possible to cram and do alright

cramming doesn't equal 50 atar as people say

it comes down to your attitude

if you go into the exam thinking you know nothing and that you'll do shit, you're going to do really shit - as oppose to going in there with a positive mind (even if you're fked) which will allow you to derive the little you studied

therefore, 50% of your exam is decided before you even begin the paper

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
And did you manage to get the ATAR you wanted with cramming?
I only needed 88 for uts bus/law because of EAS (so I didn't take the hsc that seriously) and I ended up getting several points higher

for example, I would do shit like revise the whole of bio and learn the option topic all in two days >>> 93 exam mark

everyone would tell me I'm fucked or say I'm a snake who secretly studied for hours but nope

the most difficult time for me was obviously the period of the HSC exams - I slept minimally throughout those twenty days, but hey, I had most of the year to myself, I survived and here I am

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm really tempted to utilise the snake tactic at the expense of my integrity. Is it really worth it?
well

the world is competitive and a person who wants to succeed must manipulate everything to work in his favour

but

there's no use to snaking if you go to a good school

or if everybody is shit and you're the only good kid there

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol, I'd probably get busted.

Nah, I know how to snake thanks to you guise.
I remember when I started bringing a briefcase to school

everybody called me briefcase wanker at first but then everyone liked it

the year coordinator even used to joke about it

and he'd be like "no bags inside the library" and I'd say "but it's a briefcase"

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Anyway... Idk whether it's the right thing to snake.
what's right anyway tho

education is a huge social construct these days anyway (srsly look at how many grads are unemployed ... who would die for experience)

might as well make what you can of your experience

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
But I thought the HSC was about attaining a top internal rank, smash the trials, afterwards help each other out and annihilate the externals.
that would work if everybody cooperates (which is hard to find in an average rank 200 school - I know because I went to one, although my cohort pulled up the rank a bit)

in reality, the hsc is done by 17/18 yr old kids and the majority are irresponsible (because they're still young)

don't rely on anyone else and just try to get first ranks if you're aiming for 95+

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Shouldn't be too hard for eco, bio, and modern - but holy shit the chem, maths and English cohort is competitive as because there are guys who are bloody smarter than me.
yeah that's when it gets tricky; when there's a few smart people and everybody else is shit

all you can do is perform well and see what happens

and never stress about the impending outcome because everything happens for a reason

#life101

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)