How to not hate English? (1 Viewer)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
tbh just find interest in the texts you read - not all of it is going to be really fun and stuff, but remove yourself from the negative connotations and look for interest within the subject. a lot of english is about deconstructing texts to find meaning/ideas/etc, and if you enjoy what you're reading and find joy in that, run with it.

who cares about your teacher and whatever, like english seems useless at times, but i guess its a good way to appreciate literature and how it can add a nice ~philosophical~ element to your education. like superficially, it seems stupid and dumb, but just like ponder a bit more into it and i guess you can try and learn to appreciate what's being articulated in the texts.

also if your teacher sucks, screw 'em like just do whatever. i pretty much bludged through year 11 english and managed to get a 90 for it so it wasn't too bad. i'm not advocating that type of attitude, but when i needed to, i definitely put in the work required. just remember, that english is the 2 units that will definitely count and you want to make them count. if you can't appreciate literature itself, at least find motivation in the fact it will play a role in determining your ATAR, which should be motivational enough if you're aiming high.

good luck

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Respect if for what it is. I used to hate Shakespeare with a passion; but if you can look at the talent and skill of the work, it at least made me not hate it as much lol
Julius Caesar quotes. luv em.

SabrinaSchool

HSC
N/A
Find the things that you like about english and focus on them. It's those subjects that you have no choice but to sit there and deal with it no matter how you feel about it :(

ultim

HSC
I personally like english due to the fact that there are no wrong answer. As long as you can justify your opinions with proof and reasoning then anything you say can be right.
Also, no matter how you think of it, english is important not only in school but outside of school.
Some tips and advice i've received over the years:
1. No one starts with a perfect story/essay so just keep writing anything you can think of (hence why there are drafts). Afterwards, spend time moulding your story/essay and take out whatever you don't need.
2. Don't write the night before. Even if it's just a sentence, plot down all your ideas as soon as you think of it throughout the week.
3. Read more. It really helps. Even short stories. Just read.
4. Write for fun. Write about things you enjoy, or wish you could enjoy. There are no limitations for writing.
5. If you got a bad mark for something you think deserves more, go to the head teacher and ask them to explain why you got a low mark. If you can see the flaws in your writing, ask for ways to improve. If you still think your mark wasn't justified (and other adults agree), bring the issue up to the Board of study. (Advice from my tutor teacher. In her words: "Don't let anyone fuck with you".)

Remember, you're developing skills that'll stay with you for life.
And if it helps, the majority of my girl friends find it 'hot' when guys know how to write intellectually.

evasharman

HSC
And if it helps, the majority of my girl friends find it 'hot' when guys know how to write intellectually.
I'm a girl, so it doesn't really help....:p
Also guys I'd like to update you all! I got a rank of 5/70 for my prelims after studying and taking all of your advice, and I think I'm starting to like English more !!!!!! ^_^

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think hate is rather a strong word. One of the most simple ways you can learn to like English is to actively participate in any class discussions and ask questions-when you are active in class, you are less likely to find content to be boring.

britaker

HSC
Think of it this way: it is literally the easiest subject to cram for the night before and still do well, you can make shit up and they will take you seriously as long as you have your textual examples to back it up, you don't need to know your content from Y11 (looking at YOU, math >_>)... etc. It's like 2 whole units of "I don't need to think". :3

I mean hey man I only memorised quotes before each assessment in Y11 and I only lost one mark the whole year.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Think of it this way: it is literally the easiest subject to cram for the night before and still do well, you can make shit up and they will take you seriously as long as you have your textual examples to back it up, you don't need to know your content from Y11 (looking at YOU, math >_>)... etc. It's like 2 whole units of "I don't need to think". :3

I mean hey man I only memorised quotes before each assessment in Y11 and I only lost one mark the whole year.
Some people really struggle with English, so have to spend a lot of time practicing essays etc.

britaker

HSC
Some people really struggle with English, so have to spend a lot of time practicing essays etc.
Yeah I know, just trying to make it seem like less of a burden y'know?
Also it all evens out imo, I struggle a lot with maths and basically invest all the spare time from English into that... -_-

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I know, just trying to make it seem like less of a burden y'know?
Also it all evens out imo, I struggle a lot with maths and basically invest all the spare time from English into that... -_-
Ah okay gotcha :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)