how to prepare (1 Viewer)

nike33

mainly for ppl that have done the hsc..

is it better to do past hsc papers(answers), trial papers(no answers) or text qns considering i have now finished the course.

im thinking i would do the dr.buchan trials and give to my teacher to mark...but i doubt she would get time to mark them fast...

im thinking to leave the HSC's to about a month before the HSC...

but my main question now is should i go through books i didnt use, ie fitz, coronous(sp) etc or do trials with no answers?

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
try finding past papers with answers would be your best bet. That way you can mark them to see if you're improving and what you need to work on. Then use the text to work on those gaps in your learning.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
u make me feel so dumb nike :(

uve finished already... well actually i only have mechanics left for 4u to learn...

but that itself is pretty damn hard =\

nike33

well yeah ryan i basically only had mechanics to learn this holidays :)

-calculon i dont have past papers with answers, only the real past hsc's with answers and there are only ~18 so if i do them now, i wont have them to do closer to the hsc

^___^
HSC
Originally posted by nike33
-calculon i dont have past papers with answers, only the real past hsc's with answers and there are only ~18 so if i do them now, i wont have them to do closer to the hsc
KeyPad did around 400 pgs of work??

ask him :p

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
yeh i heard that too 400 pages is amazing. he wud have done a lot of papers from buchanans site

Calculon

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Supra
yeh i heard that too 400 pages is amazing. he wud have done a lot of papers from buchanans site
400 pages aint that much, like 40 papers considering how long most of the questions are. I would have done at least 200 for 2u last yr

Actuarial Boy
HSC
i did no past papers last yr .. just txtbook

i guess this yr i can finally understand wot the past papers are on about though.. haha

Calculon

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
u make me feel so dumb nike :(

uve finished already... well actually i only have mechanics left for 4u to learn...

but that itself is pretty damn hard =\
Did you accelerate 3u?

Calculon

HSC
N/A
nop~ :)
How are you almost finished the 4u course then, thats a crazy amount of work

Actuarial Boy
HSC
not really...

tutoring we did curve sketching integration and harder 3u in term 1

whilst at school we did conics polynomials and complex numbers

over holidays i did volumes [bits of it.. well more like doing a few questions from each chapter coz im lazy]

so that leaves mechanics... ?

unless theres anotehr topic i am missing?

Calculon

HSC
N/A
not really...

tutoring we did curve sketching integration and harder 3u in term 1

whilst at school we did conics polynomials and complex numbers

over holidays i did volumes [bits of it.. well more like doing a few questions from each chapter coz im lazy]

so that leaves mechanics... ?

unless theres anotehr topic i am missing?
We've just gone heaps slower weve done complex nos, sketching, integration and conics, but weve done some 3u as well

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
hrm, i've finished 6 240 page books since the beggining of year 12. :)
but thats 2u, 3u, 4u cambridge, 3u papers, 4u papers, 4u coroneos.

And keypad did 40 trial papers. ^_^
AND his page count seems to keep increasing. (His page count only measures trial papers, not homework and the like) It's not 400 anymore, i think its above 600. lol, Keypad, if your reading this, tell them what the current account is. :D

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by Supra
Absolutely none. My teacher gave us as many as he could. I tried to sum all the hours up, it was over 500 hours of papers.

Nevertheless, his site is interesting.

I ended up only doing 700 pages of combined 3 unit and 4 unit past papers. Not much considering I took my past paper book everywhere, and just did maths whenever there was a break. Trust me, after the first 10 papers, all the questions just become reflex. (Barring 7 & 8's)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
lmao

it's now 700. lol, like someone else said, his page count increases with his ego. :D

and don't believe him, he is a bloody nut at maths. I've done like 20 trial papers questions for various topics, and i still have difficulty with a fair few questions.

maybe i'm just dumb. :)

and i'm joking Keypad. Don't get offended. ^_^

Last edited:

nike33

ahh whats a decent mark for a raw hsc 4u? keypad what did you estimate ur raw mark to be?

i just did last yrs 4unit paper eheh

^___^
HSC
Originally posted by tywebb
Which ones did you do?

Is it really necessary to do so many papers, or is 10 enough, and thereafter just do as many 7 & 8's as possible?
yea, cos Keypad said it earlier, after 10papers, the q's from 1-6 are like..mirror reflection of each other...(check this out for a pun :p)

Originally posted by Grey Council
lmao

it's now 700. lol, like someone else said, his page count increases with his ego. :D
lol!!!
like to sum that up in a formula? ;)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
hehe, I really doubt 10 papers are enough for ordinary people. If you ARE NOT confident, and are NOT expecting right now anything above 96 for 4u maths, then take my advice, not Keypad's and Tywebb's.

Or, you can try it out for yourself. If you get surprised on your 10th paper, then you will certainly get surprised on your 11th, and your 12th.

aaarrggh, its really up to you to make a decision, but from my experience, you shouldn't just do 10. Thats not enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)