How to repair the damage of failing 6 subjects in 1.5 years (1 Viewer)

synthesized

HSC
N/A
i've failed 6 out of 12 subjects over the first 3 semesters of my BCom, including 2 subjects i repeated that i failed TWICE.

assuming that i'm allowed to continue on with the degree, and that i manage to pass the rest of my subjects (i'm doing a combined BCom/BFin so i have 5 semesters/2.5 years left), what are some things i should be doing to repair this massive anomaly in my academic transcript?

any advice on how i can fix this situation?

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
synthesized said:
i've failed 6 out of 12 subjects over the first 3 semesters of my BCom, including 2 subjects i repeated that i failed TWICE.

assuming that i'm allowed to continue on with the degree, and that i manage to pass the rest of my subjects (i'm doing a combined BCom/BFin so i have 5 semesters/2.5 years left), what are some things i should be doing to repair this massive anomaly in my academic transcript?

study really hard, you should organise your time, always aim for the highest marks, and just give everything your best shot.

oh, and make sure that you are motivated and confident.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
youre probably on your last chance since youve failed the same subject twice unfortunately..i think they expel if you you fail the subject again.
do a required amount of study every day...organise a timetable of some sort and stick to it if possible
maybe use the amount of fails as an inspiration to pass and keep going
im sure you can do it
good luck

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
I dont think they expel you. What they'd do is give you a warning about your failure and if it continues then u get a year off uni so u can fix ur problem and then u return. Well thats for my uni anyway, pretty sure ur one should be similar.

Last edited:

rozymisty

HSC
With my uni, if you get 3 3s or lower, you have to go and see the dean of your faculty and explain why you were failing that many subjects. Im not suprised actually that you havent already got that talk ro something, coz you are wasting your time and money, as well as the uni's.

xoa

HSC
If you were studying engineering or something, I'd advise you to stick with it regardless, and graduate. But as a commerce student, employers will especially look at your GPA, and those failed subjects will hurt your prospects. Employers can cherry pick commerce graduates, and your GPA will mark you as well below average.

If the reason for your failures is disinterest, consider changing to another degree, and start over. Otherwise, think up some good excuses (etc: international student, family problems, youthful immaturity) for when employers ask you about it. Some people might recommend doing postgraduate study to draw attention away from your undergraduate GPA, but I think you would risk digging yourself a deeper hole.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
If you failed the majority of those subjects first semester, that would help if they ask you to show cause.

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
yeah you'll need to look at postgrad. get some commerce volunteering under your belt too.

Last edited:

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
why would u start another degree again omg, if u like what u study then keep it. You can fail, as if its gonna stuff up your future career. As long as you finish your degree you'll be ok. What is it better to have nothing or have a degree?

HSC
Kebabci Oglu said:
why would u start another degree again omg, if u like what u study then keep it. You can fail, as if its gonna stuff up your future career. As long as you finish your degree you'll be ok. What is it better to have nothing or have a degree?
because its a lot harder to get good jobs in commerce if you haven't got good marks. so you need to do other things to give yourself an edge.

Conspirocy

HSC
um if u dont want the fails on your transcript, transfer to another uni...and only bring accross the credit for the subjects you have passed.

that way it wont be on your transcript

Generator

HSC
N/A
synthesised said:

In all seriousness, have you considered discontinuing your candidature (i.e., dropping out)? University degrees aren't for everyone.

Kebabci Oglu said:
What is it better to have nothing or have a degree?
Ignore Kebabci Oglu. There are other options (e.g., TAFE courses), and though such options may not be as prestigious as a degree, they aren't worthless.

If you'd like to continue, then by all means continue (and I wish you the best of luck), but I'm afraid that there isn't anything that can be done to 'fix' your transcript. If you do decide to drop out (or if you are expelled), please don't think that you will be lost without a degree. As I said above, there are other options, and you shouldn't think that you need a degree in order to make something of your life.

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
Genertor you have misunderstood me. People fail at uni i know some, that is no reason for you to drop out or uni would be empty + what i am sayin is they have already done some of the course hence why quit now. I never said that institutions like tafe were useless, i wouldve gone to tafe if i didnt make it to uni, its no big deal.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
synthesized said:

How are you going so badly?
Do you go to lectures? Do you do any work at all? ...or do you actually try and it's just a bit too hard for you?

At my uni if you fail 50% of subjects you attempt you go on some kind of probation and if you keep failing then you can get expelled for a year.
I have also heard that if you fail the same subject 3 times you get kicked out but I don't know how true that it.

... so you should be ok to continue now as long as you do not fail anymore.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Kebabci Oglu said:
Genertor you have misunderstood me. People fail at uni i know some, that is no reason for you to drop out or uni would be empty + what i am sayin is they have already done some of the course hence why quit now. I never said that institutions like tafe were useless, i wouldve gone to tafe if i didnt make it to uni, its no big deal.
You're right. A student shouldn't consider dropping out of a degree (or university altogether) just because they fail a unit, however, in this case we aren't talking about a single unit (or even the odd unit here and there).

As for the TAFE point, that was my mistake.

X

xeuyrawp

Generator said:
In all seriousness, have you considered discontinuing your candidature (i.e., dropping out)? University degrees aren't for everyone.
I'm glad someone said it.

Before dropping out, though, make sure you chat with a uni counsellor or something.

Ignore Kebabci Oglu. There are other options (e.g., TAFE courses), and though such options may not be as prestigious as a degree, they aren't worthless.
Especially if you don't want a job where it requires a degree... That being said, if you can't handle a related degree, maybe the job isn't for you either?

is a roflcopter
HSC
6 fails in a bcom is game over gg so i agree with the above
have you thought about alternate paths like tafe

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
I think you'se are gettin off the topic. This thread is for Repairing the damage of failing 6 subjects not dropping out of uni. Maybe people with experience should give points to improve eg. study techniques etc. Most responses are negative.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Kebabci Oglu said:
I think you'se are gettin off the topic. This thread is for Repairing the damage of failing 6 subjects not dropping out of uni. Maybe people with experience should give points to improve eg. study techniques etc. Most responses are negative.
There is no generic response for that. We need to know what they are doing now to suggest areas of improvement.

If they are not trying hard, not going to lecturers and generally not caring I would suggest doing more work.

If they are trying as hard as possible I would suggest giving up because there are no tricks that can help.

If they are somewhere in between they might have a shot at improving but I can't say anything specific without knowing what the problem area is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)