how to stop daydreaming :/ (1 Viewer)

fridgmagnet

HSC
Ok so the way I noticed I've been procrastinating is daydreaming, I don't know why but ever since I've started studying for trials my mind has been wandering off every 5 minutes whilst studying, like way too often.

I have a feeling it's because I'm doing more hours than usual, averaging around 8 hours a day, I'm just not sure how to keep my mind focused on what I'm doing. Any tips/advice on how to stop procrastinating ??

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
probably a sign of overexertion. Maybe cut the hours to around 5, since that way you would feel more pressure to get things done.

Also stay busy; not as in study busy but plan the things you'll do after. Often i end up zoning out because i think to myself 'oh yeah i'll catch up later at night i have the whole day anyway'.

could be because you're bored of studying too. Try switch up the subjects and times around so it's not repetitive. Take breaks and switch to past papers instead of mindlessly reading textbooks and notes to stimulate awareness.

just my two cents

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It has to do with how much time you’re allocating towards your studies as well as how well your study plan is organised.

Studying for 8 hours is definitely not an easy thing to do, let alone having to do it on a daily basis. Because of this, you'll need to make sure you're handling your studies effectively, including breaking your tasks down into manageable parts which helps in simplifying and shaping your study goals more effectively. This applies to all subjects that you're taking. In addition, you need to make sure you're regularly having breaks because the brain normally reaches a point where it is no longer able to handle/process information, leading to daydreaming and procrastination, meaning overwhelming pressure is a main cause for what you're currently experiencing. Having a short break at regular intervals will allow you to refresh your mind, so that when you come back to study, your brain will be able to handle and process information like it was when you started studying and so on.

I hope this helps! 😄

fridgmagnet

HSC
probably a sign of overexertion. Maybe cut the hours to around 5, since that way you would feel more pressure to get things done.

Also stay busy; not as in study busy but plan the things you'll do after. Often i end up zoning out because i think to myself 'oh yeah i'll catch up later at night i have the whole day anyway'.

could be because you're bored of studying too. Try switch up the subjects and times around so it's not repetitive. Take breaks and switch to past papers instead of mindlessly reading textbooks and notes to stimulate awareness.

just my two cents
It has to do with how much time you’re allocating towards your studies as well as how well your study plan is organised.

Studying for 8 hours is definitely not an easy thing to do, let alone having to do it on a daily basis. Because of this, you'll need to make sure you're handling your studies effectively, including breaking your tasks down into manageable parts which helps in simplifying and shaping your study goals more effectively. This applies to all subjects that you're taking. In addition, you need to make sure you're regularly having breaks because the brain normally reaches a point where it is no longer able to handle/process information, leading to daydreaming and procrastination, meaning overwhelming pressure is a main cause for what you're currently experiencing. Having a short break at regular intervals will allow you to refresh your mind, so that when you come back to study, your brain will be able to handle and process information like it was when you started studying and so on.

I hope this helps! 😄
Thanks, these really helped, I'll try doing this throughout the rest of the HSC grind :)

DarkOperator618

HSC
Ok so the way I noticed I've been procrastinating is daydreaming, I don't know why but ever since I've started studying for trials my mind has been wandering off every 5 minutes whilst studying, like way too often.

I have a feeling it's because I'm doing more hours than usual, averaging around 8 hours a day, I'm just not sure how to keep my mind focused on what I'm doing. Any tips/advice on how to stop procrastinating ??
no words in the English language can explain how relatable this is haha

Hiheyhello

HSC

as a low-key excessive daydreamer i can relate to this
and as an over-achiever i'm also aiming for the 8+ hour benchmark

i personally find that i daydream because i'm idealistic as well as for escapism , so a method that i consciously try to implement is being present in the moment and enjoying it. this is harder than it sounds but there's a concept of 'romanticising your life', which kinda works because if you can perceive your life as being ideal (or in this case ,if you can find the 'fun' in study), then you don't need to distract yourself with daydreams. this will all be over soon, just push through.

also: remember that daydreaming is essentially running away from your responsibilities rather than facing them - you can always revisit those thoughts - sometimes it might be helpful to right down daydreams and thoughts as they, come, and then let them go. don't let the daydreams control you.

in terms of staying focused, if you're dividing your sessions into hourly intervals, just think on 1 objective that motivates you, and use this to drive each interval. i personally use things that stress me out e.g. drama performance due first week back, but you can alternatively be positive and perhaps focus on something that you're looking forward to achieving when you get your desired atar.

i'mma get back to studying, you can too!

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Otherwise maybe look into the "Pomodoro" technique something like 20 minutes of intense focus, 5 minutes break. You can adapt it as you get back to the focus zone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)