How to study effectively without falling asleep? (1 Viewer)

heart-station

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone :)

I'm having issues with studying, i don't think i am studying effectively.
I read through my notes for 15- 30minutes and i feel very sleepy already and i don't even remember much of what i am reading.

So anyone have any suggestions on studying routines? Studying effectively? What should i do to stay awake? Or what should i NOT do? O_O

Thanks, any help will be appreciated!

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
study while standing on the edge of an icy cold bath. if you fall asleep, you won't be asleep for long

heart-station

HSC
N/A
lou071 said:
do you get enough sleep at night?
if u feel sleepy after reading through your notes, i think you r not getting enough sleep at night.
or when u study, study the subject you really like first and then study other subjects as well.
It happens either way, when i have enough sleep and when i don't have enough sleep, heck it happens even when i oversleep. That's why i need help to stay awake -___-

And in response to the other replies, i've tried them, doesn't work. And i don't drink coffee btw, so has to be something that works around that. =/

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
heart-station said:
And in response to the other replies, i've tried them, doesn't work.
you tried mine?
how did you stay asleep?
how are you not dead?

heart-station

HSC
N/A
gibbo153 said:
you tried mine?
how did you stay asleep?
how are you not dead?
Okay okay, i lied, maybe not yours LOL, but i tried a lot of the other ones.
ahahaha and yes the other ones don't seem to work :(

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
you got to be in a good study environment. minial clutter, away from distraction, good lighting, etc. it all adds up trust meh

duxplz

HSC
uhhh i went to a crappy workshop thing where it discussed different methods of learning and studying...depends on the person.
if reading over your notes doesn't work then it's probably never going to work.
apparently some people record themselves reading them out (although idk who does this). personally i re type mine out, under dot points or in mind maps (ahh the humble mind map<3 ). this always works well, cause i have the same problem not being able to concetrate reading. keep well fed and watered, probably caffienated as well. music might help? not tv obv. like above, study environment is important too.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
heart-station said:
Okay okay, i lied, maybe not yours LOL, but i tried a lot of the other ones.
ahahaha and yes the other ones don't seem to work :(
well i guess you've been trying the wrong ones then =P

fareezuh

HSC
study early morning rather than late at night more retention and just flick through before bed, to re-enforce it

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Make sure you first get lots of sleep (and probably more than usual because you are doing a mentally draining exercise).

Then study for no more than 2 hours at a time and have regular breaks during that time. Anything more than that and you are not going to be effective.

Make sure you get all distractions out of the way and be focussed for that short amount of time.

When you are done studying, do something completely unrelated - sport, walk, TV, eat, sleep, etc.

DON'T READ! It never works. It is a pssive form of study. You need to do active forms of study - re-write notes. Make summaries. Play games with flash cards. Do problems. Write out flash cards/flash notes for later reference. Just reading is not going to put into practice the information you are taking in.

I always had a little booklet of the most important info that I needed to rote learn and I would look it over and recite it at regular intervals. It was the only way to get it in. If you were near me on a train when I was studying, you would see me pacing and gesticulating like crazy.

But reading is boring and ineffective. No wonder you are falling asleep.

And did I mention doing sport? Don't ever give up the things you love doing just because you are studying or doing the HSC, or at Uni or Working hard. If we gave stuff up, we would never go back, because there are thousands of excuses not to exercise. But exercise gets the right hormones and stuff flowing through your brain to make you more alert.

heart-station

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the help guys, i'm going to combine all the tips or something :D

Maybe i just have to try to be somewhat more interested. hmm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)