• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How to study effiently and SMARTER for the HSC? (2 Viewers)

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
OMFG LEARN TO SPELL. Jokes. (One thing about this site, never take anyone or anything seriously and you'll love it here)

On topic: Depends on the subject.

For maths and large bits of physics, you need to have a solid understanding of the topic. The best way is to continually attempt questions, not just the same type of questions, but different ones too.

For for content heavy subs, just grab as many textbooks and summarise with reference to syllabus dot points. Cut all the irrelevant shit out, to stop wasting time.

Though tbh most of doing well in exams is how you actually apply the content and thus learning these skills (e.g. writing eloquently) should be your priority right now.

And lol this is really far off for you, relax and enjoy while you can. :)

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
listen to heavy metal music. it helps u concentrate

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Psh year 10. Relax, when you come to year 12 you'll realise how pointless and useless the School Certificate was and if you studied for it 'hardcore' then you'll go into year 12 and look back on how ridiculous you were.

HSC
This is really weird and dumb..but I don't know how to study for subjects like Economics and Physics. How do you guys do it? I'm making syllabus dot point notes but how do you memorise them? Maybe its because I'm very unmotivated for both...

I find English and Maths and Japanese easy, but content subjects like Economics and physics...I have no idea

x3Reii

HSC
Make notes according to the syllabus; make sure you've covered everything, even the third column dot points for the sciences. Now that your notes are done, read them; KNOW them as oppose to memorize them. This means that if someone asks you a question; you can answer it straight away instead of having to try and remember what the answer is (kind of like whats 5+5 or who is our current prime minister?). It has to become second nature.

Also you have to know the concepts in subjects like chemistry. Not just memorize them. (For example, you can memorize Le Chatalier's definition and principal of equilibrium but you need to understand what it's saying to answer questions like "With reference to Le Chatalier's principal, what happens to this particular system if a decrease in pressure occurs")

For english, just write essays - keep doing practice questions because theres only so many ways an english question can be asked to suite a variety of texts. I'm not sure for maths, practice papers I suppose. I gave up maths homework and totally ignored my maths teacher since last year :p

jnney

lemon
HSC
This is really weird and dumb..but I don't know how to study for subjects like Economics and Physics. How do you guys do it? I'm making syllabus dot point notes but how do you memorise them? Maybe its because I'm very unmotivated for both...

I find English and Maths and Japanese easy, but content subjects like Economics and physics...I have no idea
For physics I've done textbook work from jacaranda, excel, dot point. now im working on past papers.

Beast_99

HSC

Studying for Economics isn't hard. There is alot of content in the course but if you know how to link all the major topics & draw out implications, you'll be well on your way to a Band 6.
As for Physics, you just gotta sit down and learn/memorise the dot-points/concepts which you find the most difficult to remember.

nathanf

HSC
All social science subjects heavily rely on the syllabus, so if you're going to do any of the histories, or legal studies, economics or business studies etc. The syllabus is your guide to the entire course. So if you don't know any of the dot points or can't write a few paragraphs or go on a rant for all of them, then that is something you need to patch up. As said earlier maths is more formulas and going through questions and past papers to get a feel of what you will need to be able to do. English is the worst, especially in year 12 and you'll need to go through all your prescribed texts a few times as well as get heaps of 'concept statements' and remember key terminology to go well.

Seeing you're in yr 10 don't even worry. Year 11 literally counts for nothing so don't get stressed. Work hard enough to get into good study patterns and get good grades, but even if you do don't get confident because alot of lazy people start putting in effort in year 12 and overtake those who have always topped the year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)