How to study for business studies (1 Viewer)

lach792

HSC
Hi Guys,

So I know everyone says for business know the syllabus, but I'm wondering how you guys went about learning the syllabus. Like you write notes under syllabus headings but what after that, how did you guys memorise the content?

idkkdi

HSC
Hi Guys,

So I know everyone says for business know the syllabus, but I'm wondering how you guys went about learning the syllabus. Like you write notes under syllabus headings but what after that, how did you guys memorise the content?

You're getting the wrong idea of knowing the syllabus. When I say, "know the syllabus", I mean being able to recite every word from the content stuff (in the syllabus pdf) from the start of the first page to the end of the last page. If you state Operations processes, I would know every word of every dotpoint, how it is formatted, and word for word in order. I did this via literally just rereading, covering then testing, rereading again, and more rereading.

Knowing the syllabus to this extent may not be necessary, but then again, when you answer questions in Business Studies, it's all about chucking in the right dot point from the syllabus and expanding a little bit.

Last edited:

AKONS

HSC
I agree with idkkdi

My process of business studies studying is:
Write notes from textbooks under syllabus --> memorise syllabus --> memorise content --> past papers
(can include collecting case studies)

lach792

HSC
I agree with idkkdi

My process of business studies studying is:
Write notes from textbooks under syllabus --> memorise syllabus --> memorise content --> past papers
(can include collecting case studies)
Yeah okay, thanks heaps.
did you memorise using a similar method to idkkdi, as in rereading, covering and so on?

lach792

HSC
You're getting the wrong idea of knowing the syllabus. When I say, "know the syllabus", I mean being able to recite every word from the content stuff from the start of the first page to the end of the last page. If you state Operations processes, I would know every word of every dotpoint, how it is formatted, and word for word in order. I did this via literally just rereading, covering then testing, rereading again, and more rereading.

Knowing the syllabus to this extent may not be necessary, but then again, when you answer questions in Business Studies, it's all about chucking in the right dot point from the syllabus and expanding a little bit.
Yeah okay, I was thinking learning the syllabus meant like learning the content of each dot point, not the dot points themselves. So do you reckon learn what the actual syllabus is and then learn what the content is to answer this syllabus point if you get what I'm saying haha

AKONS

HSC
G'day mate!

What works for me personally is looking at a section of my notes, understanding them and then trying to explain the content to myself (NOT word for word) in the mirror. I feel its more efficient than rewriting notes and it cements the knowledge better by creating connections while you're teaching yourself.

Also, its very important to memorise the syllabus (just the 'learn about' part) as it was above said. It tells you exactly what a question is asking for when it mentions certain key terms. (eg. question says operations process --> inputs --> transformed and transforming used to answer).

Hope this helps :)

lach792

HSC
G'day mate!

What works for me personally is looking at a section of my notes, understanding them and then trying to explain the content to myself (NOT word for word) in the mirror. I feel its more efficient than rewriting notes and it cements the knowledge better by creating connections while you're teaching yourself.

Also, its very important to memorise the syllabus (just the 'learn about' part) as it was above said. It tells you exactly what a question is asking for when it mentions certain key terms. (eg. question says operations process --> inputs --> transformed and transforming used to answer).

Hope this helps :)
Big help, thanks heaps :)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
For memorising the dot points of the syllabus, i.e for marketing strategies I would sing them out loud/make up tunes.

Sometimes I still get bits of the syllabus stuck in my head :p

arianecharruyerpouw

HSC
Hi Guys,

i had these “fill in the gap” syllabus pages that I would just fill in every day until I knew the content to write it without

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)