How to study for English? (1 Viewer)

Mazar97

HSC
I have no idea on how to prepare for English trials. Everyone says just know your quotes but they are so many themes and quotes to learn for a text. And the fact that the question could be on a particular theme makes it so much worse. So how can I effectively study and make sure I know all the important points I need to know.

Vitrecan

HSC
Not sure about themes, but for quotes, I used the starting letter of every quote and created a mnemonic.

ahri

HSC
  1. Have practice essays written!!
  2. Memorise your quotes + techniques and topic sentences
  3. Go through the syllabus and pull out key phrases (eg "paradoxes of the human experience) and write a different essay question based on that dot point
  4. Practice adapting your practice essay to every single one of those dot points (you don't necessarily need to write a WHOLE new essay, but be able to change you topic sentence and rework the ideas of your paragraph to be moe suitable).
  5. Go through your notes and find the main themes of your text.
  6. Do the same as the syllabus phrases and work out how you can integrate those themes.

Won't go wrong if you do all of the above.

foxxraven

HSC
I'd create a table of quotes, and categorise them by key themes. Include the techniques used in the quote, as well as a mini-analysis. This can be quite helpful when studying!
I'm not very good at remembering quotes but in the past when trying to remember terms for French (back when I did it, *cough*), I would write them on palm cards and stick them in places that I would usually visit (such as the bathroom door, in my wardrobe, cupboards, etc), and that helped me remember them!
Good luck!

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah for english everyone has a different style, some people memorise quotes and some people memorise their whole essays, plus different ways to memorise these as well. I had a google doc with my quotes, around 3 quotes for each theme (2 themes per text or something, I forgot the structure needed for english essays), and basically made acronyms to remember them. The first letter of the quote was part of the acronym so I could remember which quotes come next and stuff... I had a general analysis besides the quotes but for the 3 sets of trials we had I think I just didn't use it and memorised the quote instead because I woke up late for those and had to cram really fast LOL...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)