how to study for maths (1 Viewer)

Nws m8

Banned
HSC
Uni Grad
Extension maths can be surprisingly difficult for some people, mostly narrow minded people who follow everything there teacher tells them (don't hate me, I'm just saying).
Average students would do homework from primary till year 10 and when they get good marks they think they are geniuses and that they are talented at maths not realising that what they are studying is simply the very basics, that stuff is like below the basics. Then year 12 comes and their psyche gets pounded with extension 1 and 2 maths (which are a basic calculus + algebra course compared to the real shit).
What you have to do is:
1) Learn and understand the content by quickly going over the theory from a RELIABLE textbook, then do the entire exercise. In Terry Lee's textbooks, the entire exercise is relatively difficult (unlike Cambridge which gradually gets harder) so do ALL the questions. The way you should do the questions is by NOT looking at the solutions. What the fuck is the point of doing the exercise if you look at the solutions? Do the questions, keep trying until you get an answer then look at the solutions and NOTE down where you went wrong and understand how to do the question and hence formulate a structured way of thinking or a structured approach to solving the question. In the beginning just concentrate on improving your accuracy, not speed. Speed will be improved overtime as you practice more and more questions.
2) Now that you are done with learning the content start doing PAST PAPERS. Do not attempt questions that fall under topics you have not done yet, that is a waste of time. Do the questions in the past papers in the same way you do questions from the textbook "The way you should do the questions is by NOT looking at the solutions. What the fuck is the point of doing the exercise if you look at the solutions? Do the questions, keep trying until you get an answer then look at the solutions and NOTE down where you went wrong and understand how to do the question and hence formulate a structured way of thinking or a structured approach to solving the question. In the beginning just concentrate on improving your accuracy, not speed. Speed will be improved overtime as you practice more and more questions."
Anyone disagrees with me please feel free to comment, like, share and subscribe.
+1

Lieutenant_21

HSC
Although I'm not really one to say much in a 3/4U thread, I still want to say that it is so important that people use reliable textbooks that actually teach you why formulas come to be etc. so that you understand what you're doing and where you're coming from. My tutor a couple months back used Maths in Focus and it is so, so bad. I would cringe every time I saw that textbook in his hand. Good thing I'm quitting soon.
What I really meant by a reliable textbook is that the textbook ACTUALLY covers the syllabus and has relevant HSC-Style questions, not a book that does not cover the syllabus and has year7-style repetitive, easy questions like that stupid book, MIF. MIF is designed for struggling students (my 3U maths teacher is a real-life friend of Margret Grove and she told me that she made the book so that it is suitable for struggling students), but you know what, struggling students should just quit, there are many other subjects they can choose from.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
What I really meant by a reliable textbook is that the textbook ACTUALLY covers the syllabus and has relevant HSC-Style questions, not a book that does not cover the syllabus and has year7-style repetitive, easy questions like that stupid book, MIF. MIF is designed for struggling students (my 3U maths teacher is a real-life friend of Margret Grove and she told me that she made the book so that it is suitable for struggling students), but you know what, struggling students should just quit, there are many other subjects they can choose from.
Now now, this isn't a right frame of mind to have.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Although I'm not really one to say much in a 3/4U thread, I still want to say that it is so important that people use reliable textbooks that actually teach you why formulas come to be etc. so that you understand what you're doing and where you're coming from. My tutor a couple months back used Maths in Focus and it is so, so bad. I would cringe every time I saw that textbook in his hand. Good thing I'm quitting soon.
Fuarrrrrrr this shitty textbook drives me crazzyyyy. obviously been written by an extension maths wannabee.
Repetitive questions and those retarded side notes.
One of those stupid side notes even said: "Perimeter is the sum of the sides" --- the heckk

Maths in Focus should be banned from High school!! It wastes too much paper on the sides haha

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)