How to study for MGMT1001? (1 Viewer)

icesta1

HSC
I've been reading on the forums how crap this subject is LOL but im planning to major in human resources management as a psychological science student so cant avoid it haha.

So how exactly should I be studying for this? Any specific tips?

Also should I be buying the new MGMT books or just buy last years ones from someone else?

thanks

icesta1

HSC
also do you have to go to the lectures or is it possible to do them online? which is better?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I've been reading on the forums how crap this subject is LOL but im planning to major in human resources management as a psychological science student so cant avoid it haha.

So how exactly should I be studying for this? Any specific tips?

Also should I be buying the new MGMT books or just buy last years ones from someone else?

thanks
A few notes:

Most of the abuse mangement/marketing/hr subjects get are from people who are more interested in the 'mathematics' of Commerce. Feel free to disregard them if you've got any interest in the people/creative side

Read the lecture slides. Find out what looks important. Learn it. You should have aim to have a decent standard of pretty much everything in the lecture. The subject outline should help as well

Most of the time you can get away with using older additions, or even not getting the book at all.

A lot of people skip lectures and manage. They may be online, but you'd need to wait and hear from someone who's done this specific subject recently.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
The lectures and weekly homework is absolutely useless in learning stuff. By week 7 you'll see the lecture theatre would almost be empty. For this subject you have to bs the hell out of the two assignments and final exam and just hope you get a good marker who will give you a decent mark. The marks in this subject are like a lottery imo and it is very hard to study for this subject.

Don't know about the textbook but they seem to change the textbooks pretty regularly just wait for the first lecture and they'll say if you can use last year's book.

Ajaxx

HSC
N/A
As someone else said its not really that crap, this is probably just the people who are more mathematically inclined opinions.

However, at the same time although I found this subject interesting studying/learing can be a bit difficult.

I dont think i ever used the textbook as it had way more info than necessary although it did have some interesting articles/stories. My notes were just based on the lecture slides which I found covered enough to get a decent mark. So basically just use the slides and maybe some of the stuff you pick up in tutes to study.

The assignments however were quite crap. I went good in the first but crap in the second even I was sure my second assignment was better while the people in my tutorial also had marks all over the place. The final exam was multiple choice and 2 short essays and which overall was alright. Basically this subject involves making up alot of stuff especially if you dont know / understand what to write about.

businessstudent

HSC
Hey I totally agree with Absolutezero in that don't be biased about it based on what other people say, because I enjoyed it.

If you don't take the assignments as something you "bullshit" and actually think of that particular situation happening in the workplace and answer practically then you will get good marks. Thats what I did, I had an interest in the subject, used alot of common sense along with applying theory learnt and did well. HOWEVER, the final exam I don't think I did too well in because I got nervous!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)