How to use textbooks to write notes? (2 Viewers)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
This year I can actually highlight some things in the textbooks, since I bought some myself! Yay.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
This year I can actually highlight some things in the textbooks, since I bought some myself! Yay.
Which textbooks did you purchase ?

i envy you !

I have only purchased study guides, but i plan to get textbooks after the first few weeks..

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Which textbooks did you purchase ?

i envy you !

I have only purchased study guides, but i plan to get textbooks after the first few weeks..
I've really only got Accelerated Learning for maths and will be getting conquering chemistry soon enough (as actual textbooks), but I have an excel book for each subject which I've had a read over... quite good. I kind of include excel study books etc. as textbooks.

:D YAY! I'm envied...

dux&src

HSC
I've really only got Accelerated Learning for maths and will be getting conquering chemistry soon enough (as actual textbooks), but I have an excel book for each subject which I've had a read over... quite good. I kind of include excel study books etc. as textbooks.

:D YAY! I'm envied...
I need to get Conquering Chemistry.. It's a bit dear though.. so i gotta save up.

Excel study books to me are study guides..

so i guess i don't envy you anymore .. :lol:

Last edited:

Air Jordan

HSC
Re: Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides for Preliminary HSC?

Do all of the question it helps so u can familiarise with the formulae. Do the chapter reviews, in my book in have a challenge review and a normal review. I only do the harder review (partly because im lazy) and the questions involve two or more topics eg. polynomial question involving trig, these can help you remember past topics. Also for reference have a list of the formulae from all topics. Don't bother memorising the first time you go through the syllabus just keep it for reference. As you do it the first time you'll prob see you've memorised some of them by not intending to. The second time you go through memorise them. Good luck =D
What book do you use?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I need to get Conquering Chemistry.. It's a bit dear though.. so i gotta save up.

Excel study books to me are study guides..

so i guess i don't envy you anymore .. :lol:
Damn... Lol. The rest of textbooks I will need are supplied for the year by the school. They are pretty good textbooks (probably not THE BEST, but they'll do).

dux&src

HSC
Damn... Lol. The rest of textbooks I will need are supplied for the year by the school. They are pretty good textbooks (probably not THE BEST, but they'll do).
hehe..:D
Same..but i like to get a bit more than i need:) It makes me feel secure:D

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
hehe..:D
Same..but i like to get a bit more than i need:) It makes me feel secure:D
In a way, but could be a waste of money if they don't come into use.

Good luck for this year in the Preliminary and of course the 2010 HSC!

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
In a way, but could be a waste of money if they don't come into use.

Good luck for this year in the Preliminary and of course the 2010 HSC!
They probably won't come into use.

For Year 11 and so far in Year 12 - all I use are the core text books my school gives me (e.g. Jacaranda Physics, Business Studies in Action, Living Religion etc).

The only subject which I have multiple books is Maths. In my opinion, you only need 1 textbook. Unless your school gives you a really bad one (like I know one person, her school gave her Excel Physics as their core - that's bad).

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I wouldn't like to get Excel Physics as the core textbook! OUCH! Although I think it is still a very good book for summary and study... excellent for that.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I wouldn't like to get Excel Physics as the core textbook! OUCH! Although I think it is still a very good book for summary and study... excellent for that.
Yeah - like my friend had it for her preliminary, but I think she managed to get a copy of Jacaranda somehow. Just get a really good textbook (if you go to a private school - you should be fine with your textbooks) and use that.

I wouldn't bother using Excel, just get your own notes and use them as summaries. Either that or use other brands like Macquarie or K.I.S.S Science.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I think my school should have something decent (I actually think they give Jacaranda Physics :)) I didn't mean to use Excel Physics as my own summary, I ALWAYS write my own and use a little bit of wrote learning.... I meant along the lines that it's a good book to get quick notes from and to read over a topic quickly then devise something of your own.

Also a little help in class too!

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I think my school should have something decent (I actually think they give Jacaranda Physics :)) I didn't mean to use Excel Physics as my own summary, I ALWAYS write my own and use a little bit of wrote learning.... I meant along the lines that it's a good book to get quick notes from and to read over a topic quickly then devise something of your own.

Also a little help in class too!
Yeah most schools use Jacaranda, mine does. I find it's a really good book and it's eyecandy as well. But yeah, if you feel like using study guides - then fine. But study guides in my opinion should only be used to SUPPLEMENT your textbook, it shouldn't replace your textbook, because most do not cover the syllabus in depth enough. The only exception is Studies of Religion - I'm quite fond of the Spotlight Study Guides for SOR - I find they're pretty detailed and straight to the point.

HSC
Yeah most schools use Jacaranda, mine does. I find it's a really good book and it's eyecandy as well. But yeah, if you feel like using study guides - then fine. But study guides in my opinion should only be used to SUPPLEMENT your textbook, it shouldn't replace your textbook, because most do not cover the syllabus in depth enough. The only exception is Studies of Religion - I'm quite fond of the Spotlight Study Guides for SOR - I find they're pretty detailed and straight to the point.

lol we use textbooks written by the now retired head science teacher

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Haha, cool. Are they any good? Detailed?

Is the teacher a Dr. (as in has his/her PhD) in some form of science.

h3ll h0und

HSC
Haha, cool. Are they any good? Detailed?

Is the teacher a Dr. (as in has his/her PhD) in some form of science.
my physics teacher has a PhD...coolest physics teacher ever he showed us a video on snipers and invisible suits in class LOL .... it WAS related to the topic we were doing so even better :p

studentcheese

HSC
Jacaranda textbooks for Science are good. I don't really like Conquering Chemistry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)