How to use textbooks to write notes? (1 Viewer)

h3ll h0und

HSC
Re: Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides for Preliminary HSC?

Aquawhite said:
Sounds like a plan! :D
how do u guys use textbooks? do u just do the exercises...or make notes from them and do questions etc etc ....
all i do is read the text once quickly, then i read it over again thoroughly and understand wats being said and then i do exercises...

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

I go through a small process, unintentionally, but it just happens.

1. I glance at what the topic is about.
2. I read everything on the page... even if there is a story, it all helps to explain it to me.
3. I continue on down the page and do as the instructions say, look at the examples.
4. From there I write down my own notes on the rules, formulae and some examples... So I can go back to it at a later date.
5. Start doing some questions, over and over.

h3ll h0und

HSC

Aquawhite said:
I go through a small process, unintentionally, but it just happens.

1. I glance at what the topic is about.
2. I read everything on the page... even if there is a story, it all helps to explain it to me.
3. I continue on down the page and do as the instructions say, look at the examples.
4. From there I write down my own notes on the rules, formulae and some examples... So I can go back to it at a later date.
5. Start doing some questions, over and over.
hmm the problem wen i write notes is that i end up writing everything somehow...and wats the point in referring back to it later if u can just refer back to the text book?? lol in summary i suck at writing notes :mad1:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

Hehe, poor thing. You need to take the bare essentials out... Write it so YOU understand it. My textbook can be a pain occassionally... it explained some things real crazy like... it took me about 10 minutes just to figure what was going on...

bored.of.u

HSC

h3ll h0und said:
hmm the problem wen i write notes is that i end up writing everything somehow...and wats the point in referring back to it later if u can just refer back to the text book?? lol in summary i suck at writing notes :mad1:
Do all of the question it helps so u can familiarise with the formulae. Do the chapter reviews, in my book in have a challenge review and a normal review. I only do the harder review (partly because im lazy) and the questions involve two or more topics eg. polynomial question involving trig, these can help you remember past topics. Also for reference have a list of the formulae from all topics. Don't bother memorising the first time you go through the syllabus just keep it for reference. As you do it the first time you'll prob see you've memorised some of them by not intending to. The second time you go through memorise them. Good luck =D

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

bored.of.u said:
Do all of the question it helps so u can familiarise with the formulae. Do the chapter reviews, in my book in have a challenge review and a normal review. I only do the harder review (partly because im lazy) and the questions involve two or more topics eg. polynomial question involving trig, these can help you remember past topics. Also for reference have a list of the formulae from all topics. Don't bother memorising the first time you go through the syllabus just keep it for reference. As you do it the first time you'll prob see you've memorised some of them by not intending to. The second time you go through memorise them. Good luck =D
It's really good when some of the questions combine past topics and older things that you've learnt in the past. It ca really improve your memory doing so.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

lol just write on dotpoints =) in ur own words

~caramello~

HSC
Basically depends what subjects.
If its one of the sciences which relies heavily on the dotpoint.
Read the textbook and makes notes on anything that relates to the dotpoint.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Most textbooks follow the syllabus dotpoints in order anyway (Jacaranda Physics is pretty close and so is Business Studies in Action) - so I would just read then underline and summarise the most important points in the text book - then there are your notes.

lou071

HSC
N/A

h3ll h0und said:
how do u guys use textbooks? do u just do the exercises...or make notes from them and do questions etc etc ....
all i do is read the text once quickly, then i read it over again thoroughly and understand wats being said and then i do exercises...
1. skim through the book
2. do exercise questions which are often homework
3. depend on the work, if you do exercise questions, it is pretty much like picking important points, i usually stop here but if you find hard, then after doing exercise questions, you can make your own notes

-tal-

HSC

h3ll h0und said:
THE ESSENTIALS OF NOTE MAKING

1) Do NOT write everything just because you "think it's necessary". You would be contingency planning too much. As soon as you think "because it's necessary" chuck your pen out the window. Get a new one and go on to the next section.

2)
Write down concepts in your own freaking words (if you so much as just "cut the big words" you have FAILED).

IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE IN PROPER, GRAMMATICAL, POLITE ENGLISH
. Chuck in swear words if you have to.

3) DO NOT WRITE IN CHUNKS. ANYTHING LARGER THAN 5 LINES IS AN ABSOLUTE PIECE OF AN INEFFECTUAL ATTEMPT AT NOTE MAKING PILE OF CRAP.

4) Organise notes under subheadings

5) Do NOT cram 77889956123448100627 points on to 1 page!!!!!

6) Leave AT LEAST 2 lines between separate concepts. If you're listing things in dot point form, then don't. Or even better, have only 2/3 concepts per page of notes. NO CHUNKS.

Well, I thought there should be 1 "do" around here: DO READ THE NOTES YOU MAKE

suzlee

HSC
lol at namu's sig btw :D

Thanks heaps tal for your quick and easy summary of note taking!!

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

-tal- said:
THE ESSENTIALS OF NOTE MAKING

1) Do NOT write everything just because you "think it's necessary". You would be contingency planning too much. As soon as you think "because it's necessary" chuck your pen out the window. Get a new one and go on to the next section.

2) Write down concepts in your own freaking words (if you so much as just "cut the big words" you have FAILED).

IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE IN PROPER, GRAMMATICAL, POLITE ENGLISH. Chuck in swear words if you have to.

3) DO NOT WRITE IN CHUNKS. ANYTHING LARGER THAN 5 LINES IS AN ABSOLUTE PIECE OF AN INEFFECTUAL ATTEMPT AT NOTE MAKING PILE OF CRAP.

4) Organise notes under subheadings

5) Do NOT cram 77889956123448100627 points on to 1 page!!!!!

6) Leave AT LEAST 2 lines between separate concepts. If you're listing things in dot point form, then don't. Or even better, have only 2/3 concepts per page of notes. NO CHUNKS.

Well, I thought there should be 1 "do" around here: DO READ THE NOTES YOU MAKE
I can add to this:

Make sure you clearly follow your syllabus and course curriculum. What is written on the syllabus is all that the HSC exam can contain. You just need to be able to answer everything perfectly correct on the syllabus in short simple notes first (then eventuate into good essay writing as well)... This way you can ensure you know everything you NEED to remember and not what you think is essential.

Concerti

HSC
I usually learn the content from the textbook and then in my notebook/laptop/spare paper just write notes as if Iwas teaching someone else how to learn it.

Otherwise, I'll usually just highliht all the key phrases and write a summary.

~caramello~

HSC
I usually learn the content from the textbook and then in my notebook/laptop/spare paper just write notes as if Iwas teaching someone else how to learn it.

Otherwise, I'll usually just highliht all the key phrases and write a summary.
pretty smart.
Heard teaching someone is like the best way of understanding stuff yourself.

Cardea

HSC
pretty smart.
Heard teaching someone is like the best way of understanding stuff yourself.
I tend to speak my notes after I've written them for that reason. Either I talk to myself about them, or I annoy someone else, lol. The point is, it really is an effective way to understand concepts. You're trying to explain it to yourself, and if you do employ this way of studying, don't just do internally/mentally. Physically teaching it to yourself, I find, works.

I seem to have a bit of a problem also in writing notes sometimes; I hope to cut down what I do take in, simply because of that frustrating tendency to include more than I need because I'm afraid I've missed out on something essential.

Oh, and brilliant notes, Tal :D

HSC
I tend to speak my notes after I've written them for that reason. Either I talk to myself about them, or I annoy someone else, lol. The point is, it really is an effective way to understand concepts. You're trying to explain it to yourself, and if you do employ this way of studying, don't just do internally/mentally. Physically teaching it to yourself, I find, works.

I seem to have a bit of a problem also in writing notes sometimes; I hope to cut down what I do take in, simply because of that frustrating tendency to include more than I need because I'm afraid I've missed out on something essential.

Oh, and brilliant notes, Tal :D
Speaking of repeating back to yourself, I asked my parents to buy a voice recorder so I could jsut record myself saying notes allowing me to listen on the train etc..

I'm not really sure how effective it is because I haven't put anything into it yet!

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Listening to my own notes being played in my ears doesn't work for me too good, mainly because I don't like listening to myself.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Listening to my own notes being played in my ears doesn't work for me too good, mainly because I don't like listening to myself.
Agreed:D

.. so i guess i just using my hobby for reading. to read textbooks :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)