How to write a good economics essay in the exam? (1 Viewer)

Gangstar1

HSC
Just wondering since I'm doing so poorly in this part >.>
Any tips?

Thanks.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Generally if you can write a good intro, you can kill the essay. So I'll start off with that.
In your intro, you would want to incorporate three parts into it: definition of key terms in the question, answer the question and then throw in some current economic data and statistics.
Your body should consist of the main points you want to discuss in your essay. Start off each paragraph with a brief topic sentence and then explanation of your point with some integration of economic data. It's really just common sense.
Your conclusion would simply just a restatement of your answer to the question.
And bingo, you have a template for a band 6 essay. :)

Gangstar1

HSC
Generally if you can write a good intro, you can kill the essay. So I'll start off with that.
In your intro, you would want to incorporate three parts into it: definition of key terms in the question, answer the question and then throw in some current economic data and statistics.
Your body should consist of the main points you want to discuss in your essay. Start off each paragraph with a brief topic sentence and then explanation of your point with some integration of economic data. It's really just common sense.
Your conclusion would simply just a restatement of your answer to the question.
And bingo, you have a template for a band 6 essay. :)
Wow! Thanks man! appreciate your help +rep for you lol

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
People who did Economics from my school often love to make their notes diagrammatically with flow charts, graphs, etc. It seems to work really good if you are concise and succinct with how you set out your flow charts. Otherwise, your notes should be heavily reliant on up-to-date information and ensure you double check your information with friends/classmates.

ttrinix

HSC
basically
you need a well STRUCTURED response (make sure you spend 5mins planning)
Spend around 50mins per essay
Intro: (define, give some wish washy current/updated eco situation with some stats) + Conclusion (just summarise your points and give a possible resolution to the problem)
Body paragraphs: make sure you EXPLAIN and give EXAMPLES for each statement you make and try to INTEGRATE different topics
I've realised that stats are not that important, i never prioritised memorising them (just memorise the key stats for each topic)

erespall

Pirate Lord.. Arrr
HSC
^pretty much... maybe a trend or two and where it could possibly lead to as well, just a thought. But yeah their stressing showing relationships pretty hard so i guess that links into integrating the different topics together and showing how they relate to each other and developing detail, causation plus examples etc..

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
What often goes unsaid is; make sure you ANSWER THE QUESTION. It's very easy to get off track, and talk about similar issues, stats, and trends. Stay on topic, and focus on the required issues.

erespall

Pirate Lord.. Arrr
HSC
What often goes unsaid is; make sure you ANSWER THE QUESTION. It's very easy to get off track, and talk about similar issues, stats, and trends. Stay on topic, and focus on the required issues.
^yes! very important, i missed out on a 6 marker once because i didn't read the question properly or answer it, the response was good but could not get me any marks whatsoever because i didn't answer the question thank god it was just a practice test though so i got saved a skewering. many people overlook this...

agathay

HSC
For a solid Band 6 Essay, people always tell you to answer the question. But not a lot of people do it, because they don't know how. I would recommend you to highlight the key phrases in the question like:

Analyse the impact of changes in the global economy on Australia’s current account deficit and discuss the impacts on the Australian economy on an on-going current account deficit.

Then what you do is that you shove them into the essay where it seems fit. You will need to do this in every paragraph and of course the intro and conclusion. In this way, even if your prepared essay is not directly answering the question, you reshaper your essay so that it looks like it's answering the question.

Email me on agatha@hscpainkiller.com if you need more help :)

Last edited:

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Start off with a Beast Introduction

Followed by tank statement paragraphs

and finish with a boss conclusion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)