How to write an inner journey analysis but not a summary? (1 Viewer)

muzeikchun852

HSC
im doing an assignment on inner journey with core text and supplementary text. i gave my draft to my english teacher. as she scanned through it, she said im describing the plot instead of say the inner journey that the text conveys.

here are my inner journey after i tried to convey the inner journey:

"...discussed the lyrebirds' use of mimicry, which has helped them to survive, the poet then lets her thoughts go back to a time when the lyrebirds dared to make their own class instead of mimicking all the sound around them."

so if thats not an inner journey analyse, how to u write one with the elements of inner journey but not a summary? i really dont understand how can i do that, as the teacher dont really explain well.:angry::angry:

thx in advanced to any responses.:D:D

carmot

HSC
Right now, your writing is basically following the plot rather than analysing a particular inner journey - lyrebirds dared to make their own class instead of mimicking - that entire section does not have much relevance to inner journey, as opposed to the poet going back in time.

When writing an analysis, try not to retell the story, and avoid time words such as 'when' 'then' etc. Focus more on the techniques used, and the effect they have and how they contribute to what you are trying to prove. So look for parts which are particularly connected to the idea of an inner journey, and focus on the techniques there.

Remember to always name your technique (though try to integrate it into your sentence rather than 'the metaphor of...' try 'the somethingsomething metaphorically conveys') and quote it. Just remember to always have technique-quote-effect, and vary the structure around to prevent repetition.

muzeikchun852

HSC
When writing an analysis, try not to retell the story, and avoid time words such as 'when' 'then' etc. Focus more on the techniques used, and the effect they have and how they contribute to what you are trying to prove. So look for parts which are particularly connected to the idea of an inner journey, and focus on the techniques there.
so basically, technique and the concept of area of study, inner journey, is connected?

Last edited:

carmot

HSC
Yep, when analyzing, just try and connect what you're trying to prove with the techniques you can find.

When you analyze, you try and look at how a text is put together in order to convey the author's message, in this case an inner journey. So look for techniques that particularly contribute to conveying this concept. Of course, even if it doesn't seem like it, most techniques/effects can be twisted slightly to fit your cause :D and try and look for more meaningful techniques e.g. the symbolism of a particular image throughout the poem is good, whereas saying the alliteration of a particular line conveys an inner journey is not quite as effective.

muzeikchun852

HSC
Yep, when analyzing, just try and connect what you're trying to prove with the techniques you can find.

When you analyze, you try and look at how a text is put together in order to convey the author's message, in this case an inner journey. So look for techniques that particularly contribute to conveying this concept. Of course, even if it doesn't seem like it, most techniques/effects can be twisted slightly to fit your cause :D and try and look for more meaningful techniques e.g. the symbolism of a particular image throughout the poem is good, whereas saying the alliteration of a particular line conveys an inner journey is not quite as effective.
so the analyse of the inner journey is simply the message behind the poem, however this doesnt necessary related to inner journey. :cry: and i cant still really distinguish the differences between a summary and a analyse.. sorry for being so dumbb.

Last edited:

carmot

HSC
An inner journey is the message that's conveyed through the poem, so your analysis will be related to inner journeys. Basically, a summary of the poem will go through the plotline and maybe a bit on the characters, but is basically a shortened form of the storyline. An analysis is not focusing on the plot, or what happens in the story, but more on how it happens and how it's put together, looking at techniques and how they relate to this message.

For example, a summary of Lord of the Flies would be along the lines of a group of boys are on a deserted island, and Ralph becomes their leader. After a while, Jack starts to disagree with Ralph and forms his own group etc etc. An analysis of Lord of the Flies would go along the lines of: the story is an allegory for human nature. Ralph symbolises leadership and the need to civilise etc. Jack represents the primal nature of man, and symbolises the darkness of man's heart. In an analysis, what happens in the story is not so important as what the story means.

muzeikchun852

HSC
An inner journey is the message that's conveyed through the poem, so your analysis will be related to inner journeys. Basically, a summary of the poem will go through the plotline and maybe a bit on the characters, but is basically a shortened form of the storyline. An analysis is not focusing on the plot, or what happens in the story, but more on how it happens and how it's put together, looking at techniques and how they relate to this message.

For example, a summary of Lord of the Flies would be along the lines of a group of boys are on a deserted island, and Ralph becomes their leader. After a while, Jack starts to disagree with Ralph and forms his own group etc etc. An analysis of Lord of the Flies would go along the lines of: the story is an allegory for human nature. Ralph symbolises leadership and the need to civilise etc. Jack represents the primal nature of man, and symbolises the darkness of man's heart. In an analysis, what happens in the story is not so important as what the story means.

thank you so muchhh! this analyse make me understand much more better about the subject! thx! :lol::lol:

acemusic415

HSC
Right now, your writing is basically following the plot rather than analysing a particular inner journey - lyrebirds dared to make their own class instead of mimicking - that entire section does not have much relevance to inner journey, as opposed to the poet going back in time.

Remember to always name your technique (though try to integrate it into your sentence rather than 'the metaphor of...' try 'the somethingsomething metaphorically conveys') and quote it. Just remember to always have technique-quote-effect, and vary the structure around to prevent repetition.
+1

Refrain from re-telling to plot as much as possible. My method is that, just find any ideas of journeys - it could be even like Journeys have unforeseen repercussions, and expand from that. Usually, when I address an idea of a certain topic, I don't retell the story - more so I have the tendency to pick out the most important parts of the story, which therefore doesn't end up being an entire plot summary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)