• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How to write faster (1 Viewer)

Dangar

Originally posted by mle
My writing is ridiculously messy, and in exams i misspell words (like writing tha instead of that).

Yeah me too, i always forget to go back and cross my t's and dot my i's. Ah well i just hope it's obvious to the markers where i've gone wrong so they can understand me. and i take comfort in the fact that the bos paper is much smaller then A4, it will suddenly seem like i've written so much more!!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Dangar
Originally posted by mle
and i take comfort in the fact that the bos paper is much smaller then A4, it will suddenly seem like i've written so much more!!
haha me 2!

I think I write wrong, 'cause I felt it (after having 6 trials in one week) in my elbow...

Apparently the way you hold your pen can make a huge difference to how fast you write. I hold my pen by making a 'tripod' around it with my thumb, pointer finger and middle finger. However, this is apparently too rigid and slows down my writing.

The better way to do it is hold the pen between thumb and pointer, with the pen resting on your middle finger (rather than being held by it).

I was only told this a couple of week ago, and I'm still trying to get used to it. I allows your writing to flow more freely but you do sacrifice a bit of neatness. I can afford that, cause my writing is pretty easily read, but if your writing is pretty messy to start with it may not be benificial. Give it a go anyway, if you don't already hold your pen like that!

HannieStar

The best pen is this special pen for people with arthritis called the Pilot DR. GRIP pen- I got a pinched nerve in my neck in my first three tirals- so bad i was crying- and then my Dad got this pen for me and in my next exam i wrote ten pages for each essay without any issues:)

chris42

HSC
I think what sort of pen you use will affect your writing as well, I found this really good pen thats something between a felt tip and ballpoint, if I use any other sort of pen my writing looks terrible. Just an idea

Mwah

Woo HOO

Yeah I know how it feels. In the exam I find that my 40 mins will have been up and I'll have written 3 pages. My English teacher said that my length is my biggest problem and that perhaps I should just spend 2 mins making a rough plan of what Im going to write about. I know you said that 'Its physically impossible' but you'l be suprised how fast you will write when youv'e got something worthwile to say!

Remember- that quality is far more important than quantity! My english teacher was a marker one year and she said that a person wrote 7 pages but she gave them 0 because it was all waffle.
So hope that helps
PS- sorry if there's any Zpwellin Misstaks to all you English nerds.:D

Leap

free falling
HSC
Apparently the way you hold your pen can make a huge difference to how fast you write
I hold my pen in this really weird way with all my fingers curled around it while it rests on my 4th finger. It looked awkward, but I can write extremely fast, so I must be doing something right. I also find that if I hold my fingers too loosely, I can't write as fast.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by kalli
They COUNT pages????
well if u write 2 it looks worse than a whole booklet

i doubt they COUNT them though

Gamine

They do count.
They like to count and count and count and count and... yeah.
When the markers first pick up the booklet, if it feels substantial, you've already made a good impression and psychologically they start thinking about putting you in the higher bands.
It IS true that it's quality, not quantity... but only within reason. I mean, can you really expect someone who writes 2 pages A4 to get the same marks as one who writes 5+?
BTW I can't write fast either :D Hoping that a miracle will occur over the exam period and rectify my predicament

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ToOhEyZ
my friend can write with both hands which i find really niffty...

how to right faster? know ur stuff, and i mean KNOW UR STUFF so you dont get writer's block
wats writers block?

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
hey i changed my pen grip recently to the normal grip because i realised that my other grip hurt my hand
however both these grips hurt lol .. i cant really tell if this grip is really detrimenting me alot....... i dont know which one i should use my old one or my new one , they are really quite similar

im in yaer 12 now a well so tis not like i have much time to decide -_-

olay

HSC
whats 'normal' grip? i always found that weird...like in primary skooL where they taught you how to hold a pen. wtf? its like teaching someone how to pick up a jar. you hold things they way you naturally hold things. i get that writing bump thingy - is that what you get with your grip? i seriously need to write more too in my exams - i can't tell if its cause my writings too curly [which i need to change to make more easy on the eyes for the examiners i reckon...] or its cause i'm too fussy in the way i word things/construct sentences & paragraphs in exams. :p LoL

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
i use faber castell pens theyre so smooth and last for ages...thou u can only buy them in student packs

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
on that note paper mate and pilot are 'very smooth pens and markers"

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yeah, i use pilot a fair bit although i've grown quite attached to my UTS pen i got from the open day...it died the other day though :(...
i notice that the people who write faster are the ones who pay less attention to the little niggly details as opposed to the slow writers who labour over everything to ensure it is perfect and neat...i dont mean in relation to essays or under exam conditions...just in general

rekyj

Random Stranger
HSC
you can try holding the pen more freely. i've noticed with slower writers, they dig the pen harder into the page, and hold it tightly. relax your hand, stretch it out a little bit, and write really carefree. the words may be bigger, but i find i write 18 pages or so on a good day.

_Bushra_

wtf?!
Hoping to befriend somebody nice at club MQ *freak
HSC
Mwah said:
quality is far more important than quantity! My english teacher was a marker one year and she said that a person wrote 7 pages but she gave them 0 because it was all waffle.
are they allowed to give ppl zero? i thought even though they might waffle and write bullshit the markers HAVE to give them a few marks for trying...?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)