How we feel about the HSC (1 Viewer)

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
rnitya_25 said:
wow i wish i could do that. do you sleep? do you sit there and study from fear though, is that why you don't eat?
Of course I sleep. My study is kinda sporadic...I'll do about 40 minutes, waste time for an hour, and might come back to do another 50. That cycle goes on for most of the day.

Reason I don't eat is 'cause I'm just not hungry for some reason. But I feel adequately prepared, so it's probably just my body playing tricks on me.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
I'm not studying as much as I'd like to because the cutoff for my desired course has been reduced.

lol_1

argh

I can totally believe that percentage is correct because that's how I feel and thats how a lot of my friends feel.
The combination of enourmous pressure to do well and the worry that while ill probably do ok i still wont get into my course is so huge!! And even though I know its not the be all and end all, I'll still feel like a loser anyway.

To sum it up I hate the hsc lol.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Vlad, 18, said: "I'll fail. I'll get below 90 UAI and shame the family."

=/

hipPo3

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
The HSC isnt really the end of the world, it just saves time! What I mean by this? Well if you dont go good in the HSC it means you have to say go to a college, or tafe which means you have to do a 3 year course first and then get into uni that way. Or you may get into uni but not your desired course, so you have to really work hard and get like a GPA of like 6 or something to transfer courses/uni's. Its all about time, going through tafe etc will cost you the most, 3 years, through another uni course may cost ya 6 months. In the end, if ya wana get to uni, you can!!!
no

Hsc is a piece of crap

theres plenty of ways to succeed without having to goto uni/tafe/collage ..

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I like this quote:

Another student, 17-year-old Kim, said: "It's just too time-consuming, life-deteriorating and fun-depleting."

exa_boi87

aka biomic
HSC
KFunk said:
I like this quote:

Another student, 17-year-old Kim, said: "It's just too time-consuming, life-deteriorating and fun-depleting."
lol

Like everyone I guess I feel I could've done more study but heck, the HSC result is one of two things .. a boost or an obstacle. Theres no way Im going to let a UAI stop me from pusuing my career, sure the required UAI would be a nice boost, but missing out will just be an small obstacle in the scheme of things ..

Mandy101

HSC
I totally agree that it isn't the end of the world. And for about... 99% of the year I've believed that. But we are just under so much pressure to do well - with UAI's creeping up higher every year and teacher's banging on about how we have to keep studying so we can do really, really, really well. I think I've kept a pretty balanced head about it, but so many of my friends have had mini-breakdowns from all the stress. It's really quite ridiculous to have to face something as hyped-up and blown up like this at seventeen.

HSC
Mandy101 said:
I totally agree that it isn't the end of the world. And for about... 99% of the year I've believed that. But we are just under so much pressure to do well - with UAI's creeping up higher every year and teacher's banging on about how we have to keep studying so we can do really, really, really well. I think I've kept a pretty balanced head about it, but so many of my friends have had mini-breakdowns from all the stress. It's really quite ridiculous to have to face something as hyped-up and blown up like this at seventeen.

Well put!!!! Meh, what are they going to do about it? They talk about how stressed we are and acknowledging, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, don't just say students are "really freaking out about" - Viviana Wuthrich, don't we know that. I'd love to go to parents (those who claim the HSC is the be-all end-all) or the Minister for Education/ Board of Studies even, (I thought I'd get the big guys), "here is an extension 2 maths exam, you have 3 hours" or "here is an english exam where we want you to analyse anything and everything, you have 2 hours". "oh and by the way, your mark will depend on the perceived difficulty of your course, how everyone else does, the average, which school you go to, your internal marks, your rank........how fast you write"

(anything else I miss?)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
NishaWisha said:
does anyone else have this incontrollable urge to scream?

no. just you.

Danoz The Great

HSC
I'm in the 10%, although I'm getting a little worried by now. Also my folks are putting the pressure on...

and my sleep patterns are erratic.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
c_james said:
I can't eat and have lost 5kg. I think that sums it up decently.
Conversely, I eat too much and have put on 15 kgs...I went from a healthy emoey 70 to an unhealthy 85...seing how I'm all of 6'2"

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
ive had breakdowns, ive had temporary writer's block. this thing is crap but the hsc is not going awat. you might as well make the best of it and hope that it will go down well.

but people are just underating the hsc. then again, too many people are over-rating the hsc. the hsc is an enormous pressure. it isnt understandable unless you are in this sort of situation. ive kept my unhealthy 64kg for most of the hsc though i should be like 78 to be healthy. ive also looked like ive aged 5 years or something from stress. it is not a laughing matter.

but the point i am making is that once this is over, there are just more exams in life, but different in orienation. dont just stop your life because of it. live it , balance it out and you should be fine.......

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
wrong_turn said:
ive also looked like ive aged 5 years or something from stress. it is not a laughing matter.
3 HSC students thought I was 26!!!
take that for a laughing matter!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)