How will my cohort make a difference to my atar??? (1 Viewer)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
If you come first you should be unaffected by your cohort...
the assessments.. and trials separate the kids who try to the kids who don't.. therefore all those that do well will be scaled up and shouldn't be affected by those who didn't do as well...

also if you come first then you will be given the highest internal mark after externals are complete..

STOP WORRYING!
We aren't worrying, we just find it funny how some cohorts like ours have people do really don't care

Tasha270494

HSC
I don't go to the best school either (its ranked like 200 something; hence my ranks LOL)
English was the one I did struggle with the most - but say I do well in all other subjects (90+) and english is like ~70, what do you think the highest atar would be that i could get?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I don't go to the best school either (its ranked like 200 something; hence my ranks LOL)
English was the one I did struggle with the most - but say I do well in all other subjects (90+) and english is like ~70, what do you think the highest atar would be that i could get?
My school is ranked almost at 500.

It depends on other subjects, but with ~70 raw in Adv english you would get and band 5 at best

It also depends on your ranks

slurpzz1

HSC

your looking at 90+ for your atar.... your english rank is not bad..

Carl5

HSC
Just get first in all your subjects. I go to a school ranked between 500-600 and we've had someone with an ATAR of 98 or something. Just try your best and get high ranks.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Lol as if, our school is awesome = P
Anyway when you say ~70 i presume you mean raw mark out of 100 (40% paper 1, 60% paper 2)? That is around a mid band 5 aligned, your rank is good in english and you are ahead of a few girls doing extension - so your internal mark will probably be good. 85+ for english absolute minimum i'd say which is equivalent to around 92 atar for those 2 units, which is a minimum remember. Since you are ranked first in everything else you won't need to worry about moderation. Even with an 89 in english and NO state rankings in the other subjects (just need to be about top 5% in each of them) you could still get 99+ atar. With 85 or lower in english you can get 98+ providing that with the other subjects you are in about the top 5% of the state.

erfanau123

HSC
Lol as if, our school is awesome = P
Anyway when you say ~70 i presume you mean raw mark out of 100 (40% paper 1, 60% paper 2)? That is around a mid band 5 aligned, your rank is good in english and you are ahead of a few girls doing extension - so your internal mark will probably be good. 85+ for english absolute minimum i'd say which is equivalent to around 92 atar for those 2 units, which is a minimum remember. Since you are ranked first in everything else you won't need to worry about moderation. Even with an 89 in english and NO state rankings in the other subjects (just need to be about top 5% in each of them) you could still get 99+ atar. With 85 or lower in english you can get 98+ providing that with the other subjects you are in about the top 5% of the state.

im hoping to get state rankings in everything!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
im hoping to get state rankings in everything!
Good work Erf! Hear that Tasha? You are going to get some awesome internal marks for maths, bio, chem and physics = P.

Jk, nice troll post haha.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well whoever is ranting about how they can drag you down, if they are as bad as you say, you should have no problem stepping over them all to first rank and being immune. Or at least being very close to 1st in 2nd or 3rd with a massive gap between the rest of your cohort.

Neologism

HSC
Would someone please explain to me what happens in this scenario... If it affects me, and just how they work it out in general: Overall I got first in Business with ~95%. There is then a gap to second place with ~82%, followed by ~78% and then the rest are all below 75%. I know these marks are irrelevant but I'm talking about the gap here... I know I got a few multiple choice wrong by making silly mistakes, I was aiming for 95% in the exam but I know I got lower. So, my question is, in general how to they moderate it, do they keep the space between ranks or something? If second place went really well and I totally stuffed it, will this bring me down a lot, or what if we got very close marks that were lower? Can I still get the top HSC Mark? (In my school I mean) Really hoping I didn't stuff it up too much :/ still quite confident for a raw mark of ~85%+ though.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Would someone please explain to me what happens in this scenario... If it affects me, and just how they work it out in general: Overall I got first in Business with ~95%. There is then a gap to second place with ~82%, followed by ~78% and then the rest are all below 75%. I know these marks are irrelevant but I'm talking about the gap here... I know I got a few multiple choice wrong by making silly mistakes, I was aiming for 95% in the exam but I know I got lower. So, my question is, in general how to they moderate it, do they keep the space between ranks or something? If second place went really well and I totally stuffed it, will this bring me down a lot, or what if we got very close marks that were lower? Can I still get the top HSC Mark? (In my school I mean) Really hoping I didn't stuff it up too much :/ still quite confident for a raw mark of ~85%+ though.
You are ranked first and so for your internal mark you get the highest (aligned) external mark - it is not moderated. Considering you are rank 1 as long as your external hsc mark was atleast the second highest you should get the top hsc mark in your school as the person coming seconds internal mark would have to be moderated (which will likely cause it to lower a little due to the averages), if two or more people beat you in externals then things might change depending on the difference in marks.

KateSinead

HSC
Just found out my schools ranking is 580 something -.-
There are few select people in our year who are very smart and have high ranking, but the whole rest of the year are pretty hopeless, and know won't try at all. If all the higher end do really well, will we all be brought down together cause of the rest of the year? And our school ranking -.-

pacman911

HSC
yes. unfortunately that's how it is.
No, thats not the case. If you have come second by 1-2 marks, then in your moderated assesment mark (i.e. after scaling) will reflect this. The person who comes first gets (say) 80 in his/her moderated mark. Then you will get 78-79. Likewise, if you are 8th/100 students, the same will occur. The relative gaps in your assesment scores must remain (as much as possible) the same.

Entity

HSC
No, thats not the case. If you have come second by 1-2 marks, then in your moderated assesment mark (i.e. after scaling) will reflect this. The person who comes first gets (say) 80 in his/her moderated mark. Then you will get 78-79. Likewise, if you are 8th/100 students, the same will occur. The relative gaps in your assesment scores must remain (as much as possible) the same.
Oh thank god, because i'm 2nd and 3rd in most of my subjects by 1 or 2 marks, and I was like WELL THERE GOES UNSW YEEEEEEEEEEEEES! T_T

muzeikchun852

HSC
but you are still getting a mark lower than your external, which is the mark you deserve.
i.e. although you came first in external, because of your internal rank, you are getting lower than your external, hence your cohort has pull you down.

bikinigal

HSC
N/A
Originally Posted by pacman911

This is right.

but you are still getting a mark lower than your external, which is the mark you deserve.
i.e. although you came first in external, because of your internal rank, you are getting lower than your external, hence your cohort has pull you down.
Actually, in your i.e of getting the highest external mark, you may not necessarily get pulled down. Remember, you keep your external mark but you get a moderated 2nd ranked assessment mark (ie around about the second highest exam mark). If the 1st ranked person scores an 80 in the exam (the 2nd highest external mark) & you score an 85 (the highest), you keep the 85 for your exam mark & get around 82 for your assessment giving you an overall HSC mark of 85+82/2 or 83.5 reported as an 84. The 1st ranked guy gets an average of his external mark & your external mark (which he gets as his assessment mark) giving him 80+85/2 or 82.5 reported as an 83. In this instance, second ranked has managed to get a higher HSC mark than first ranked. For 1st ranking to really pay off you have to make sure you own the exam amongst your cohort as well - especially if the "tail" of poor students is small (like in small classes) and the top students - even if there are only 3 or 4 of them - are determined high achievers. This is the case at my son's school which is ranked 200 and something but his classes are small & his ranks are good - lowest being 4th in chemistry (cohort of only 9) and those 4 students are all aiming at high 90s ATARs and have been working hard towards them all year. His rankings are =1/30 Eng Adv, 2/3 MX2, 3/7 MX1, 3/11 Physics and his aiming at an ATAR of 99+ which, going by his post-exam reflections (3 down & 2 to go) is looking on track.

Sorry 'bout the ramble but I always hate when the public school system has the boot put in to it - you get out what you put in.

PS The figures I used were meant to illustrate a point not give an example of top flight reported results - eg 80 as an aligned mark in MX2 is not too flash though my eldest son managed to get even worse in 2008 yet he's about to sit his 3rd year exams of a BE/BSc @ UNSW :)

Last edited:

dudsmlc

HSC
I am ranked 1 in one subject and then 2 and 3 in other subjects. Even if 3rd place is close to 1st/2nd will you stay relatively shielded from the lower end? (My school is ranked 220s and each subject has strong students competing for the first 4-5 places and then it falls to shit)

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I am ranked 1 in one subject and then 2 and 3 in other subjects. Even if 3rd place is close to 1st/2nd will you stay relatively shielded from the lower end? (My school is ranked 220s and each subject has strong students competing for the first 4-5 places and then it falls to shit)
They take into consideration gaps in marks. So if you're 3rd but only by a little bit, you'll be alright because they use that tiny gap to moderate your mark.

rennox

HSC
N/A
HELLLPPP !!!!!!!!!
im not sure if this is the place to ask for help but there was relevant information here so bare with me please. ok im trying to make this really difficult decision where i have been offered a place in a selective school but i dont know if i should go or not because im dux at my current school and i can do reasonalbly well (within the top three) and there are 5 super genius' at my school but the rest of my school is beyond help. I dont know how i'll rank in the selective school and i just dont know whether its a good idea to stay at my current or to go to the selective school. please help me !

Bobbo1

HSC
HELLLPPP !!!!!!!!!
im not sure if this is the place to ask for help but there was relevant information here so bare with me please. ok im trying to make this really difficult decision where i have been offered a place in a selective school but i dont know if i should go or not because im dux at my current school and i can do reasonalbly well (within the top three) and there are 5 super genius' at my school but the rest of my school is beyond help. I dont know how i'll rank in the selective school and i just dont know whether its a good idea to stay at my current or to go to the selective school. please help me !
You should definitely take the opportunity and go with it...If as you say there are 5 super geniuses at your school then there is likely to be even more at the new selective school thus making you work harder and push yourself. You will definitely atleast get your current atar and most probably higher. But you have to weigh this up against whether you wish to leave your friends, teachers and if you're willing to settle into a new school

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)