• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How's my reading list? (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hi all,

As you may know, I'm doing the Stream of Consciousness satire, and my reading list is as follows:

- Mrs Dalloway, Virginia Woolf
- Last Exit to Brooklyn, Hubert Selby Jr.
- One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, Ken Kesey
- Ulysses, James Joyce
- The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger (doubles as Belonging as well!)
- A Sense of Belonging, edited by John Stevens (a series of short stories)
- Quantum of Solace, the Complete James Bond Short Stories, Ian Fleming

I'm thinking of also adding The Writer's Journey (C Vogler), First Five Pages (N Lukeman), Writing Book (K Grenville), In Search of Lost Time (M Proust), To the Lighthouse (V Woolf), The Waves (V Woolf), The Room (H Selby, Jr) and Requiem for a Dream (H Selby, Jr).

However, after reading 27 short stories (the total number of stories in the James Bond and Belonging books), I would think I don't need to read books on how short stories work. Then, after reading five full length novels of stream-of-consciousness, amounting to around 2000 pages (damned Ulysses), that would probably be enough. Right?

So uhh, how's my reading list?

klaris

HSC
Quite good. I especially like Mrs Dalloway and The Catcher in the Rye being on the list.

I know what you're thinking: HSC: 2011? WTF does she know?

But I know more than people think.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Hi all,

As you may know, I'm doing the Stream of Consciousness satire, and my reading list is as follows:

- Ulysses, James Joyce

I'm thinking of also adding The Writer's Journey (C Vogler), First Five Pages (N Lukeman), Writing Book (K Grenville), In Search of Lost Time (M Proust), To the Lighthouse (V Woolf), The Waves (V Woolf), The Room (H Selby, Jr) and Requiem for a Dream (H Selby, Jr).

However, after reading 27 short stories (the total number of stories in the James Bond and Belonging books), I would think I don't need to read books on how short stories work. Then, after reading five full length novels of stream-of-consciousness, amounting to around 2000 pages (damned Ulysses), that would probably be enough. Right?

You should read some Patrick White. He wrote many of his novels in stream of consciousness prose, and he's the only Australian to ever receive the Nobel Prize in Literature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_White

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well klaris, some people think that the only people knowledgeable on the scaling/moderating system are teachers - some here like annabackwards have disproved that myth. So yeah, as long as you don't say "OMG TWILIGHT SHOULD SOOOOOOOOOO BE ON THERE", it'll be considered =P

Also, Ethan, any particular books by him?

klaris

HSC
Ugh. I hate Twishite with every fibre of my being.

HATE!!!

So, don't worry about that. Have you thought about Anna Karenina by Tolstoy? Or On The Road?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Uhh no I haven't thought of those klaris, are they written in stream-of-consciousness? Or are they just good reads?

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Hi all,

- Ulysses, James Joyce

First of all, 'The Waves' is such a tiresome read. Ackgh. You'll only understand when you pick it up and start reading.

Secondly, you don't need to treat your periphery reading as a quota needed to fill. By all means, read around your topic, but I think some basic 'how to' reading would go a long way. However, periphery reading, as you've already identified, is definitely useful in providing both information and inspiration.

Your reading list is phenomenal, if not a little excessive. Don't forget that you have to write the thing too! It's really easy to get caught up in research/reading.

Good luck :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm writing, it's actually quite easy because usually you have to think of ways to make the story advance - here, I just write and describe everything, the feelings, what this looks like, the smells - so more of it is getting the vibe of it, and once you have that vibe, it just flows from there.

So yeah, I thought it was excessive as well =P

Thanks for the help though, I might not read the Waves. I don't want to be bogged down again...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)