HSC 2012-2015 Chemistry Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekman

HSC
re: HSC Chemistry Marathon Archive

There's so much things I could say but the hard part is structuring my answer to relate to the question, anyways, let's do this. (If there's anything I should add please tell me)

Soaps and detergents both act as surfactants - they reduce surface tension of the water to improve its wetting ability. They also both act as emulsifiers - they have a polar head which is hydrophilic (able to dissolve into water forming hydrogen bonds) and a non polar hydrocarbon chain which is hydrophobic (does not dissolve in water, but dissolves in grease). This allows the grease to stay suspended as an emulsion in water. Soap is made from fatty acids in animal and vegetable oils while detergents are made from hydrocarbon chains from petroleum.

They both have similar structures however detergents may be anionic, cationic or non ionic. Most soaps are composed of sodium hence why most soaps are sodium stearate, detergents are usually hydrocarbons with a sulfate, sulfonate or other hydrophilic group on the end.

Soaps manufactured in saponification, or precipitation with sodium chloride. Alkanol from petroleum is reacted with H2SO4 to form sulfonic acid at the polar end of detergents, this then reacts with NaOH to form sodium sulfonate.

Soap has very little environmental impact because it is very easily broken down into carbon dioxide and water due to the action of bacteria.

There are two types of anionic detergents: detergents with branched chains and detergents with unbranched (linear) chains. Branched chain anionic detergents were the first detergents formed. They were not biodegradable and led to considerable environmental problems such as a build up of detergents in waterways, blocking sunlight for plants and affecting photosynthesis. Linear detergents were then created; these are much more biodegradable than the branched detergents and solved the foam problem.
A bit too much on background info about soaps and detergents. You only discussed 1 type of detergent (anionic). Soaps do have an impact on the environment despite being little, so discuss about that in more detail. Mentioning of phosphate builders as well as how it was handled was required. Also the stability of older detergents causing excessive frothing needed to be mentioned

Last edited:

Ekman

HSC

Soaps non polar nature causes non polar species that are secured to structures loose killing them and shit...
Well by the time they enter waterways to kill bacteria, they will be biodegraded almost instantly, since they contain animal fats, which biodegrade easy. Also they tend to be less toxic to fish and other wildlife
You also have to mention some soaps have phosphate causing eutrophication in water ways
Soaps don't have phosphate, older detergents do.
Changing pH of bodys of water
Well bodies of water generally have buffer systems that can counteract the caustic nature of soaps and detergents (after all you don't want to use a soap that has the same pH as NaOH). The only way pH can be changed is through the eutrophication process where the water becomes acidic due to the decomposition of dead algae.

Drsoccerball

HSC

Well by the time they enter waterways to kill bacteria, they will be biodegraded almost instantly, since they contain animal fats, which biodegrade easy. Also they tend to be less toxic to fish and other wildlife

Soaps don't have phosphate, older detergents do.

Well bodies of water generally have buffer systems that can counteract the caustic nature of soaps and detergents (after all you don't want to use a soap that has the same pH as NaOH). The only way pH can be changed is through the eutrophication process where the water becomes acidic due to the decomposition of dead algae.
Yeah listen to ekman he actually listens in class ahah

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

So ekman what would your answer be? I know you already pointed out some stuff but I want to see what your full answer would look like.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Ekman? Drsoccerball? I wanna know how to answer this question fully. :)

Drsoccerball

HSC

• Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the structure and composition of soaps and detergents
• Demonstrates a thorough understanding of their uses and impacts on the environment
• Clearly relates uses and impacts on the environment of soaps and detergents to their structure and composition
• Provides a coherent and concise response with no irrelevant, extraneous information
Marking criteria for full marks

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A

just check your responses to the marking criteria lol - it should help determine whether your structure is coherent and answers the Q :haha:

EDIT: beaten by drsoccerball

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

The sample answer for this question is good!! I'm going to print it out and glue it into my notes.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Are there any questions on the Solvay process?

Ekman

HSC

The golden question that I love most:

Evaluate the impact on society of the environmental issues associated with THREE of the industrial processes that you have studied in this option
. 7 marks

Last edited:

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

The golden question that I love most:

Evaluate the impact on society of the environmental issues associated with THREE of the industrial processes that you have studied in this option
. 7 marks
Mineral deposits which contain sulfur are often underground and must be extracted; the process of extraction is called the Frasch process. In short, this process consists of:
- Three concentric pipes forced down to the underground sulfur deposits
- Superheated steam (which is pressurised to 160 degrees) is inserted into the outer-most pipe, directly into the sulfur, causing it to melt.
- Pressurised air is forced down the inner-most tube, which then pushes the molten sulfur and water foam through the middle-tube, back to the surface.
- The superheated temperature causes the sulfur to melt and form an emulsion with water which is easily seperated as it cools down at the surface

While sulfur itself is non-toxic and odourless, it oxidises easily to sulfur dioxide and is reduced easily to hydrogen sulfide, both of which are serious air pollutants; care must be taken to avoid these reactions. The water use to make superheated steam cannot be discharged into the environment, as it contains contaminants, and will cause thermal pollution due to its intense heat so it must be reused.

Extraction of sodium hydroxide is done through three electroylsis methods (Mercury, Diaphragm, and the Membrane process, however the diaphragm process is doing to be discussed). The diaphragm process consists of a carbon anode, within a solution of brine, which is housed in an asbestos diaphragm shell. The asbestos diaphragm is lined by a steel mesh cathode. Positive sodium ions are attracted to the negative cathode, and are able to pass through the asbestos. Steam is passed over the cathode continuously to wash off a solution of sodium hydroxide, which drops to the bottom of the cell, and is collected. Chlorine gas and hydrogen gas are collected separately.

Asbestos fibres are quite dangerous, and inhalation of these fibres can cause a range of lung disease, such as asbestosis and mesothelioma. The depleted brine cannot be released immediately back into the environment, due to the presence of small quantities of basic NaOH, and oxidising ClO- ions, which have to be removed.

Finally, the Solvay process is a major chemical industrial process used to synthesise sodium carbonate (Na2CO3). The Solvay process produces less pollution than previous methods of sodium carbonate. The reactions take place in a tower, designed by Solvay, and by-products such as ammonia, calcium oxide and carbon dioxide are re-used. Australian supplies of sodium carbonate are manufactured at a plant in Osborne, South Australia. Some environmental issues include:

Calcium chloride:
- Discharge of calcium chloride causes an unacceptable increase in calcium and chloride ion concentrations and affects local ecosystems. At Osborne, it has been discharged into the ocean for many years.

Solid waste:
- In 1997, the Solvay plant at Osborne as pumping 200 tonnes per day of waste into the adjacent river, forming huge sludge deposits. Although this is not toxic, it is unsightly and a nuisance as it blocks shipping channels. The company is researching ways to use this waste such as in fertilizers, landfill and brick manufacture.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

So how did I go? Anything I should add?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Why are soaps and detergents mentioned in the sample answer? There's no need to speak about them since they're not a "process"...

Ekman

HSC

Why are soaps and detergents mentioned in the sample answer? There's no need to speak about them since they're not a "process"...
Saponification is the process of turning fats into soaps, via a hydrolisation reaction between a fatty ester and a base. However im not sure how the proves itself can impact the environment (Base leakages causes detrimental caustic impacts on the environment, and thermal pollution are the only two impacts I can think of)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Saponification is the process of turning fats into soaps, via a hydrolisation reaction between a fatty ester and a base. However im not sure how the proves itself can impact the environment (Base leakages causes detrimental caustic impacts on the environment, and thermal pollution are the only two impacts I can think of)
Let's do some Acidic environment questions now, that module is my weakest point... (don't expect me to give the best of answers though :))

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

No Acidic Environment questions?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Here's a good one: The atmosphere contains acidic oxides of sulfur which have bee increasing in concentration since the Industrial Revolution. Discuss the evidence for this statement, and include relevant balanced chemical equations. (4 marks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)