• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2012-2015 Chemistry Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drsoccerball

HSC
re: HSC Chemistry Marathon Archive

Here's a good one: The atmosphere contains acidic oxides of sulfur which have bee increasing in concentration since the Industrial Revolution. Discuss the evidence for this statement, and include relevant balanced chemical equations. (4 marks)
Since the industrail revolution, the coal being burnt has exponentially increased. The coal that is minned in some countries have relatively large impurities of sulfur. As these coal with impurities burn they produce sulfur dioxide. We also see trends in changing pH of bodys of water such as lakes. This can show the presence of oxides of sulfur as it is acidic. Structures are also being destroyed which is another effect of acid rain. Since the industrial revolution this trend has been increasingand shows the evidence of an increase in concentration of sulfur dioxide in the atmosphere.

Ekman

HSC

Since the industrail revolution, the coal being burnt has exponentially increased. The coal that is minned in some countries have relatively large impurities of sulfur. As these coal with impurities burn they produce sulfur dioxide. We also see trends in changing pH of bodys of water such as lakes. This can show the presence of oxides of sulfur as it is acidic. Structures are also being destroyed which is another effect of acid rain. Since the industrial revolution this trend has been increasingand shows the evidence of an increase in concentration of sulfur dioxide in the atmosphere.
Personally I would first include the industrial sources of sulphur, so I would mention that internal combustion engines in cars release SO2 when they use up fuel. Reason why this is important is because of the accelerating population growth the world is currently going through, so there are more cars on the roads so more SO2 is being released.
Then I would mention the need to burn 'dirty' coal in order to satisfy the increasing amount of demand for electricity, which would increase the amount of SO2. (Insert equation here)
Afterwards I would mention the qualitative and detrimental effects of SO2 on the environment and talk about the deforestation, marble statues being destroyed and the decrease of pH of waterways and soil. (Insert Equation here)
Finally provide a judgement by saying that this statement is true as the emissions of SO2 have been increasing due to above reasons.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

It say's "discuss evidence" - You seem to be tossing in claims without statistics, so perhaps also try focusing on quantitative evidence on top of your qualitative evidence.

There are some claims that do not require statistics (i.e. The qualitative ones) such as the structures one, but you should specify what these structures are made of and include the chemical reaction involved with it, as well as where these structures are located.

Also start of by acknowledging when these increases would have started noticeably occurring.

Since it's a discuss question you might want to provide evidence for and against

Example:

Chemical instruments able to measure very low concentrations, like those for sulphur dioxide, have only been available since the 1970’s, meaning that there is no reliable data for these gases before this time. Acid rain can form when atmospheric water reacts with sulphur compounds (INSERT EQUATION). An increase in the incidence of acid rain in countries such as London following the Industrial Revolution indicates that there is an increase in these compounds present in the atmosphere. However, this increase in the incidence of acid rain cannot be entirely attributed to an increase in the concentration of sulphur oxides in the atmosphere alone as there are other oxides in the atmosphere that can combine with water to form acid rain, such as oxides of nitrogen (OPTIONAL TO INSERT EQUATION). Therefore, an increase in the incidence of acid rain is not an accurate measure of the concentration of sulphur oxides in the atmosphere over time. (INSERT A PIECE OF QUANTITATIVE EVIDENCE THAT BACKS UP THAT THE CONCENTRATION OF SULPHUR OXIDES HAVE BEEN INCREASING). Using chemical instruments in recent times in conjunction with the aforementioned qualitative evidence, it has been measured that the global atmospheric concentrations of sulphur oxides is not increasing greatly over long periods of time, but rather peaks occasionally during events such as the Industrial Revolution itself.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

I haven't done acidic in a while so apologies for those spaces I didn't fill in :)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

"An increase in pressure on a reaction vessel increases the rate of a reaction", is this statement true? Why?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

"An increase in pressure on a reaction vessel increases the rate of a reaction", is this statement true? Why?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_rate#Factors_influencing_rate_of_reaction

Basically, because increasing pressure (obviously talking about gaseous reactions here) increases the concentration of the gases, so there are more collisions of gas particles per second, increasing the rate of reaction (see the second and third dot points on that Wikipedia link).

(I'm pretty sure this is assumed knowledge from the Preliminary course.)

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_rate#Factors_influencing_rate_of_reaction

Basically, because increasing pressure (obviously talking about gaseous reactions here) increases the concentration of the gases, so there are more collisions of gas particles per second, increasing the rate of reaction (see the second and third dot points on that Wikipedia link).

(I'm pretty sure this is assumed knowledge from the Preliminary course.)
I like this response, shows good understanding.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Cmon guys, where are the questions at?

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A

Cmon guys, where are the questions at?
why so needy :p

lol jks

HSC 2012, Q33: Chemists can assist in reversing or minimising the environmental problems caused by technology and the human demand for products and services.

With reference to this statement, assess the need for chemists to collaborate when monitoring the environmental impact of a named electrochemical cell. (6 marks)

Drsoccerball

HSC

lol jks

HSC 2012, Q33: Chemists can assist in reversing or minimising the environmental problems caused by technology and the human demand for products and services.

With reference to this statement, assess the need for chemists to collaborate when monitoring the environmental impact of a named electrochemical cell. (6 marks)
I answered this question ages ago heres my answer:

In order to address a problem fast and efficiently, chemists need to work together. This is not only to improve the reliability of the results but also to find a fast solution to thing such as environmental problems caused by the advancement of technology and demand upon this. Different chemists expert in different fields. Therefore in the search for the solution to thus problem chemists such as environmental chemists, analytical chemists,plant chemists, biochemists etc. collaborate together. The lead acid battery is an electrochemical cell which contains dangerous chemicals such as sulfuric acid. The lead cell is rechargeable and has a long life. The main problem of the cell is associated with its disposal. If scientists do not gather together to find a solution for example an environmental chemist provides data for sulfuric acid pollution in soil and waterways. Therefore in order to provide accurate and reliable information collaboration is needed. To find solutions for leaks and disposal of toxic wastes chemists gather and provide new cells which dont have dangerous electrolytes or can be used over and over (AKA rechargeable) thus providing some sort of solution for the lead acid battery

Not full marks but its something

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A

I answered this question ages ago heres my answer:

In order to address a problem fast and efficiently, chemists need to work together. This is not only to improve the reliability of the results but also to find a fast solution to thing such as environmental problems caused by the advancement of technology and demand upon this. Different chemists expert in different fields. Therefore in the search for the solution to thus problem chemists such as environmental chemists, analytical chemists,plant chemists, biochemists etc. collaborate together. The lead acid battery is an electrochemical cell which contains dangerous chemicals such as sulfuric acid. The lead cell is rechargeable and has a long life. The main problem of the cell is associated with its disposal. If scientists do not gather together to find a solution for example an environmental chemist provides data for sulfuric acid pollution in soil and waterways. Therefore in order to provide accurate and reliable information collaboration is needed. To find solutions for leaks and disposal of toxic wastes chemists gather and provide new cells which dont have dangerous electrolytes or can be used over and over (AKA rechargeable) thus providing some sort of solution for the lead acid battery

Not full marks but its something
I didn't see your answer soz lol

I'll have a read of this later on tho

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

lol jks

Collaboration between chemists is essential for solving chemical issues or when minimising environmental problems caused by electrochemical cells such as lead-acid batteries (car batteries).Lead acid batteries are very large and heavy and have a long life. These batteries contain sulfuric acid and this acid is known to be corrosive, sulfuric acid can pollute the environmental if spillages occur. Lead is a reasonably expensive metal making the cell quite expensive. It is a toxic heavy metal and can cause brain damage if it enters your body. These chemical problems on the environment require expertise and in depth knowledge from a wide range of chemical branches. Environmental chemists are important in these sort of situations as they manage the disposal of contaminated wastes. Analytical chemists are also important as they monitor the environmental impacts caused by products such as lead. Hence why collaboration between different chemists is essential as collabroation allow different members to exploit their strengths as well as monitoring/minimising the environmental impacts caused by products such as lead acid batteries.

Drsoccerball

HSC

Collaboration between chemists is essential for solving chemical issues or when minimising environmental problems caused by electrochemical cells such as lead-acid batteries (car batteries).Lead acid batteries are very large and heavy and have a long life. These batteries contain sulfuric acid and this acid is known to be corrosive, sulfuric acid can pollute the environmental if spillages occur. Lead is a reasonably expensive metal making the cell quite expensive. It is a toxic heavy metal and can cause brain damage if it enters your body. These chemical problems on the environment require expertise and in depth knowledge from a wide range of chemical branches. Environmental chemists are important in these sort of situations as they manage the disposal of contaminated wastes. Analytical chemists are also important as they monitor the environmental impacts caused by products such as lead. Hence why collaboration between different chemists is essential as collabroation allow different members to exploit their strengths as well as monitoring/minimising the environmental impacts caused by products such as lead acid batteries.
I think what both you an i missed in our answers was the actual environmental problems associated such as changing pH of soil and water ways. I mentioned that the chemist analyses these results but didnt actually specify the changing pH :/

trumanblack

HSC
N/A

Industrial Chem Q.
Describe and identify the hazards associated with the transport of sulfuric acid (2-3 marks)

Drsoccerball

HSC

Industrial Chem Q.
Describe and identify the hazards associated with the transport of sulfuric acid (2-3 marks)
Concentrated sulfuric acid is a dehydrating agent and when water is introduced it can cause intense heat and high oxidation abilitiy. Therefore in order to transport it we either use glass or metal as the H_2SO_4 produces a pasavating layer. However, since metal is more durable than glass metal is used to transport it. Its danger arises from the heat and high oxxidation ability when combined with water. Dilute sulfuric acid is an oxidising agent and cannot be stored in metal containers otherwise it will corrode it resulting in leaks. Therefore it is transported in glass containers. The dangers also arise because it is an oxidising agent and can corrode substances.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC

Next Q:

During your practical work, you performed a first-hand investigation involving an equilibrium reaction.
(i) Outline the procedure you used.
(ii) Explain how you analysed the equilibrium reaction qualitatively.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

Next Q:

During your practical work, you performed a first-hand investigation involving an equilibrium reaction.
(i) Outline the procedure you used.
(ii) Explain how you analysed the equilibrium reaction qualitatively.
Ceebs adapting to the question but this is straight out of my prac notes (I need to update them - but here's the whole prac):

2.1 Modelling an Equilibrium Reaction

Aim:

To model an equilibrium reaction.

Equipment:

• 2 x 100 ml Measuring Cylinder

• 10 ml Graduated Pipette

• 2 ml Pipette

Method:

1) Label the two measuring cylinders; one marked “A” and the other “B”.

2) Place 100 ml of water in “A” and 0 ml of water in “B”.

3) Place the larger pipette upside down into “A” so that it rests vertically on the bottom, seal it tightly by finger pressure and transfer its contents to “B” without spillage. Place the smaller pipette upside down into “B”, seal and transfer the contents to “A”. This is one complete transfer cycle, and the volumes present in both “A” and “B” must be recorded.

4) Continue with a series of transfer cycles until a state of equilibrium is achieved (i.e. There is no further change in the volumes in “A” and “B”).

Safety:

The glass pipettes are very fragile and if broken may cause harm. A teacher should be immediately notified if this were to happen. Furthermore, if water were to be spilled on the floor it should be immediately dried so as to avoid a slipping hazard.

Discussion/Conclusion:

The experiment began with all the water in “A”, but at a point in time, both water levels were constant despite water still being transferred back and forth, which is representative of the concept of dynamic equilibrium. The ratio of Volume B : Volume A at equilibrium was roughly a ratio of 1 : 1, and was not dependent on the starting volumes nor total volume of water in the system. The system was closed and the macroscopic properties were constant at equilibrium. In this experiment the measuring cylinders A and B acted as the reactants and products respectively, whilst the large and small pipettes represented the reaction rates. Appertaining to this, increasing the rate at which the water was transferred from one measuring cylinder to another via the pipettes, models the action of a catalyst. The transfer of liquid from “A” to “B” modelled the forward reaction, whilst the transfer of liquid from “B” to “A” modelled the reverse reaction. Overall, this experiment was a successful model for an equilibrium reaction, barring the minor spillages of liquid which would go against Le Chatelier’s Principle in that nothing enters or leaves a system at equilibrium.

Attachments

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

Also to the chemistry peeps don't neglect these "model the X process" because they do bring them up in HSC questions

Chris_S

HSC

Hey everyone could you help me with this mc? I got it wrong!

2014 HSC Q17 What is the standard cell potential for the reaction of 1.0 mol/L acidified potassium dichromate (K2Cr2O7 (aq))
with aqueous sulfur dioxide (SO2)(aq)under standard conditions?
(A) 1.20 V
(B) 1.52 V
(C) 2.24 V
(D) 3.20 V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)