HSC 2012-2015 Chemistry Marathon (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehuan

HSC
re: HSC Chemistry Marathon Archive

I guess nobody wants to do my catchments question...

"Assess the potentials of ethanol as an alternative fuel source" (6)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

I guess nobody wants to do my catchments question...

"Assess the potentials of ethanol as an alternative fuel source" (6)
80% of the world's demand for transportation fuels is petroleum derived so the concepts of other compounds as alternative sources becomes attractive. Ethanol as a renewable source can be derived from non-fossil fuel sources such as fermentation of glucose, which is made from CO2, H2O, and sunlight, thus when these products are created by the combustion of ethanol, they are reused by plants to make the raw materials for ethanol production. Another advantage to ethanol used as a renewable source is that it's carbon dioxide emissions are minimal compared to other fuels as most of it is theoretically recycled by plants in photosynthetic reactions. Also as ethanol has less carbon atoms than octance and it already has an oxygen atom, it requires less oxygen to combust hence it is a more cleaner and efficient fuel. However there are disadvantages to using ethanol which include: Engines must be modified to run more than 20% of ethanol meaning increased costs, and huge land has to be used to grow agricultural crops. Overall ethanol can be used as an alternative fuel source for petroleum derived fuels.

So... how did I go? My assessment statement wasn't that good that's for sure, how could I improve it?

psyc1011

#truth
HSC

80% of the world's demand for transportation fuels is petroleum derived so the concepts of other compounds as alternative sources becomes attractive. Ethanol as a renewable source can be derived from non-fossil fuel sources such as fermentation of glucose, which is made from CO2, H2O, and sunlight, thus when these products are created by the combustion of ethanol, they are reused by plants to make the raw materials for ethanol production. Another advantage to ethanol used as a renewable source is that it's carbon dioxide emissions are minimal compared to other fuels as most of it is theoretically recycled by plants in photosynthetic reactions. Also as ethanol has less carbon atoms than octance and it already has an oxygen atom, it requires less oxygen to combust hence it is a more cleaner and efficient fuel. However there are disadvantages to using ethanol which include: Engines must be modified to run more than 20% of ethanol meaning increased costs, and huge land has to be used to grow agricultural crops. Overall ethanol can be used as an alternative fuel source for petroleum derived fuels.

So... how did I go? My assessment statement wasn't that good that's for sure, how could I improve it?
I say that's pretty good but you missed one important point: the process of producing ethanol (from plants i.e. cellulose) is inefficient, slow and requires a lot of energy thus is very costly.

You also could add deforestation as a consequence, maybe?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Explain why alkanes and their corresponding alkenese have similar physical properties, but very different chemical properties. (3 marks)
Anyone knows what syllabus dot point this question falls under?

Mr_Kap

HSC

Explain the differences and similarities in their solvent behaviour in terms of their molecular structures. Include a diagram in your answer. 4 MARKS

Drsoccerball

HSC

Explain the differences and similarities in their solvent behaviour in terms of their molecular structures. Include a diagram in your answer. 4 MARKS
I just did this question ceeeebssssssss 2011 hsc

Mr_Kap

HSC

I just did this question ceeeebssssssss 2011 hsc
no 2009 HSC.

I'm not satisfied with the HSC sample answer provided by BOSTES. It doesn't explicitly explain differences and similarities so I'm looking for a good answer to this.

sharoooooo

HSC

Anyone knows what syllabus dot point this question falls under?
its just part of this one: "identify that ethylene, because of the high reactivity of its double bond, is readily transformed into many useful products"

Mr_Kap

HSC

bump

leehuan

HSC

At least 4/6. Quite arguably 5/6, but I'm not sure how examainers mark the evaluation. I'd be generous and say 5/6 purely because its there, however demand a good evaluation for a 6/6.

Because of the nature of the dot point, I'd try to maybe slice a third piece of info into the disadvantages, e.g. although it combusts more cleanly (which, pref include equations for the combustion of ethanol and octane), it has the problem that it produces a lower molar heat of combustion naturally. Or that the process of extracting glucose AND the process of fermentation demands large amounts of energy. But overall this was a good response :)

Last edited:

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

At least 4/6. Quite arguably 5/6, but I'm not sure how examainers mark the evaluation. I'd be generous and say 5/6 purely because its there, however demand a good evaluation for a 6/6.

Because of the nature of the dot point, I'd try to maybe slice a third piece of info into the disadvantages, e.g. although it combusts more cleanly (which, pref include equations for the combustion of ethanol and octane), it has the problem that it produces a lower molar heat of combustion naturally. Or that the process of extracting glucose AND the process of fermentation demands large amounts of energy. But overall this was a good response :)
So if the marker wasn't marking generously and gave me a 4/6, how do I get those extra two marks?

leehuan

HSC

Sorry, what's 'their'?
Physical properties are similar because alkanes and alkenes both have the hydrocarbon chain structure. But chemical properties is due to the fact that the double bond in alkenes is much more reactive. Hence, ethylene can be converted into all sorts of stuff...
-Polyethylene
-Ethanol
-Anything from a substitution reaction e.g. styrene
-Ethylene glycol (from ethylene oxide)

leehuan

HSC

So if the marker wasn't marking generously and gave me a 4/6, how do I get those extra two marks?
Like I said, try to slice another disadvantage (there are actually loads of disadvantages, but its the 'renewability of ethanol' that ultimately outweighs the rest).

When I make my assessment, I usually say something like:
"Nonetheless, it is the fact that ethanol can be produced from biomass, making it a renewable resource that ultimately shows that whilst it may not be the most viable fuel source in the present, its potentials will likely increase in the future"

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Sorry, what's 'their'?

Physical properties are similar because alkanes and alkenes both have the hydrocarbon chain structure. But chemical properties is due to the fact that the double bond in alkenes is much more reactive. Hence, ethylene can be converted into all sorts of stuff...
-Polyethylene
-Ethanol
-Anything from a substitution reaction e.g. styrene
-Ethylene glycol (from ethylene oxide)
I think he means ethanol and water.

leehuan

HSC

Oh, ok cool.

Diagram: Draw a molecule of water, clearly showing its bent structure and that it has a polar oxygen (slightly negative), and two polar hydrogens (slightly positive). For sophistication, suppose NaCl is dissolved in the water, then draw Na+ ions attracted to the polar oxygen, and Cl- ions attracted to the polar hydrogen to show dissolution.

Then, draw a molecule of ethanol, clearly showing the nature of the hydroxyl group as polar. Draw it like -O-H to show the slightly negative oxygen and the slightly positive hydrogen. Also, state that the hydrocarbon chain is neutral. For sophistication, suppose the ethanol was dissolved into the water. Then, draw the -OH interacting with the polar O in water. Suppose the ethanol dissolved an alkane. Draw the alkane beneath it (or wherever, depending on orientation of diagram) and show dispersion forces between molecules (zigzag lines I think are ok here).

--------
(My answer would be shrunk in an exam due to writing space)
Although water is typically classified as the 'universal solvent', comparison of their molecular structure shows how water and ethanol can dissolve similar substances, whilst ethanol can dissolve others. As a rule of thumb, like substances dissolve like substances. In this situation, water, having its bent molecular structure results in formation of permanent dipoles, whereby the oxygen is slightly negative and the hydrogens are slightly positive. These will be involved with dipole-dipole interactions and possibly hydrogen bonding. These permanent dipoles can interact with other polar molecules, or charged species, as shown in the diagram with the interaction of NaCl.
In a similar way, ethanol, containing the polar hydroxyl group can dissolve many polar substances in a similar manner. It also allows ethanol to interact with water, as clearly the slightly positive H can interact with the slightly negative O in water. The difference is, however, present in the fact that ethanol also has the carbon chain structure typical to alkanes and alkenes. When ethanol meets alkanes or alkenes, temporary dipoles can be induced due to the identical molecular structures of the substances, which allow forming of dispersion forces. These dispersion forces mean that the resulting difference is that ethanol can also dissolve many hydrocarbon such as 1-hexene.

leehuan

HSC

Problem is I've never been told why soluble is invalid in comparison to miscible. Unless soluble means specifically solid-liquid

Drsoccerball

HSC

Problem is I've never been told why soluble is invalid in comparison to miscible. Unless soluble means specifically solid-liquid
Im pretty sure theyre the same thing?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Outline the processes used to determine the amount of sulfate present in a sample of lawn fertilizer. (5 marks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)