• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2012-2015 Chemistry Marathon (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Kap

HSC
re: HSC Chemistry Marathon Archive

Outline the processes used to determine the amount of sulfate present in a sample of lawn fertilizer. (5 marks)
An outline like this wouldn't be worth 5 marks. Maybe 4 marks.

The question should be,

"Outline the processes used to determine the amount of sulfate present in a sample of lawn fertiliser, and justify the use of 2 of these processes." (5 marks)

Last edited:

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

An outline like this wouldn't be worth 5 marks. Maybe 4 marks.

The question should be,

"Outline the processes used to determine the amount of sulfate present in a sample of lawn fertiliser, and justify the use of 2 of these processes." (5 marks)
Fair enough, I'd like to see someone answer this.

Kaido

be.
HSC

Weighed out 1.0 g of fertiliser into a beaker, added dilute hydrochloric acid solution and then stirred. 50.0 mL of 0.350 mol L-1 barium chloride solution was then added. A white precipitate of barium sulfate formed. Washed the precipitate, filtered it, left it to dry and then determined the weight of the precipitate to be ___
Ba2+ (aq) + SO42- (aq) -> BaSO4 (s)

Justfication: HCl coz u wanna get rid of the other ions and shit, all the washing/filtering/drying coz u want it to be valid (i.e. no extra goddamn water to affect ur calc)

And your usual calculations

Oh fk, this was a question ages ago ahahaha

Last edited:

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Weighed out 1.0 g of fertiliser into a beaker, added dilute hydrochloric acid solution and then stirred. 50.0 mL of 0.350 mol L-1 barium chloride solution was then added. A white precipitate of barium sulfate formed. Washed the precipitate, filtered it, left it to dry and then determined the weight of the precipitate to be ___
Ba2+ (aq) + SO42- (aq) -> BaSO4 (s)

Justfication: HCl coz u wanna get rid of the other ions and shit, all the washing/filtering/drying coz u want it to be valid (i.e. no extra goddamn water to affect ur calc)

And your usual calculations

Oh fk, this was a question ages ago ahahaha
Can someone word this in a better way?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Quick question, when cellulose is insoluble, does that mean cellulose is insoluble in water only?

Mr_Kap

HSC

Quick question, when cellulose is insoluble, does that mean cellulose is insoluble in water only?
insoluble in everything because it has strong intermolecular forces (h-bonds), and it is a large chained molecule,
meaning it cannot be dissolved.

IDK that's why i think.

Kaido

be.
HSC

In the context of HSC, you will only be posed the solubility of cellulose in water
(Althoguh, if you do shipwrecks, you learn about wooden structures (complex structure material) and how it will "rot" in water and stuff)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Quick question, how to test for the presence of phosphate in a solution?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Another quick question, is the answer A for this question?

rand_althor

HSC

Another quick question, is the answer A for this question?

I think it isn't, as you want the chloride to form a precipitate after everything else has been removed. If you add Silver nitrate first, it will react with the chloride to form Silver chloride, a white precipitate. Not sure what adding Sulfuric acid does besides adding more sulfate ions, but adding Barium sulfate, another precipitate, to the solution would then cause problems in determining the amount of Silver chloride present.

I would say the answer is D. Adding Nitric acid allows you to remove carbonate ions through effervescence. Adding Barium nitrate then causes Barium sulfate to form, which can be filtered out. Finally adding Silver nitrate would cause Silver chloride to form, which can be filtered out, weighed etc.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

I think it isn't, as you want the chloride to form a precipitate after everything else has been removed. If you add Silver nitrate first, it will react with the chloride to form Silver chloride, a white precipitate. Not sure what adding Sulfuric acid does besides adding more sulfate ions, but adding Barium sulfate, another precipitate, to the solution would then cause problems in determining the amount of Silver chloride present.

I would say the answer is D. Adding Nitric acid allows you to remove carbonate ions through effervescence. Adding Barium nitrate then causes Barium sulfate to form, which can be filtered out. Finally adding Silver nitrate would cause Silver chloride to form, which can be filtered out, weighed etc.
Reading over the answer I chose, I'm not sure why I actually chose A lol, why would you want to add barium sulfate to sulfate? haha.

leehuan

HSC

Quick question, how to test for the presence of phosphate in a solution?
When performing anion tests, always add HNO3 to expel off any CO3(2-) which may affect results.

However, after that, firstly add Ba(NO3)2 to the solution. There should be no reaction, as BaHPO4 is soluble.

Now, consider the following acid and conjugate base.
HPO4(2-) + H2O <--> PO4(3-) + H3O(+)

Note that in acidic solution (acidic due to the HNO3 in the mixture), the concentrations of HPO4(2-) will increase. However conversely, in alkaline solution the concentrations of PO4(3-) will increase. [Le Chatelier's principle states that if a system at equilibrium is disturbed, it will seek to shift its equilibrium in an attempt to minimise the disturbance.] If we basify the solution by adding NH3, then the concentrations of PO4(3-) will increase, which is good. This is because Ba3(PO4)2 is relatively insoluble.

Therefore addition of ammonia will show the precipitate (experimentally I've found it to be pale blue) and this is a test for PO4(3-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)