HSC 2012-2015 Chemistry Marathon (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehuan

HSC
re: HSC Chemistry Marathon Archive

Skipped year 8 chemistry I see. Nah jks, don't worry about it, so many nooby questions i have asked over the past year.
I was first taught atomic theory in Year 9 and actual chemistry (compounds and reactions) in Year 10.

Dw guys it took me 3 months to understand what a "mole" was. Furthermore i still don't know what avagadro's number is... My year 11 teacher called me "Mr avagadro" he also started the "sonic" bs...
N_A=6.022*10^23

My school might be ranked in the 110's but I take pride in coming 2nd in prelim chemistry

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

How about this reaction: NH4+(aq) + H2O(l) H3O+(aq) + NH3(aq)

It doesn't also work when using this general equation "ab + cd = ad + bc", so how do I know what to do for the above reaction?

leehuan

HSC

Try splitting the NH4 into NH3H

a=NH3
b=H

leehuan

HSC

Taken from a past paper:

Solutions containing copper ions were analysed by AAS. A standard solution of 10 ppm copper had an AAS absorbance of 0.400. A second solution of unknown concentration was found to have an absorbance of 0.500.

100 mL of this second solution was reacted with excess sodium carbonate solution. Theprecipitate was then dried and weighed.

What mass of precipitate was formed?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Taken from a past paper:

Solutions containing copper ions were analysed by AAS. A standard solution of 10 ppm copper had an AAS absorbance of 0.400. A second solution of unknown concentration was found to have an absorbance of 0.500.

100 mL of this second solution was reacted with excess sodium carbonate solution. Theprecipitate was then dried and weighed.

What mass of precipitate was formed?
How would I know number of moles, ratios, etc if I don't know the name of the second solution that reacts with sodium carbonate?

Mr_Kap

HSC

But that's the first solution, and the second solution is the one that reacts with sodium carbonate.
Second solution was found to have an absorbance (ieach element in AAS has specific wavelengths it can absorb) eetc... so it must be copper they are talking about

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

The wording of this question is confusing me lol.

leehuan

HSC

What can I say. It's an HSC question. That incidentally I helped a friend out today doing.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

How would I know the products of a reaction of sodium hydroxide and citric acid?

psyc1011

#truth
HSC

How would I know the products of a reaction of sodium hydroxide and citric acid?
From google, it's a neutralisation reaction. Take x hydrogen from one, hydroxide from one, unify them to make water. The remaining product is a salt

where x is the number of protonisations the acid does

Last edited:

rand_althor

HSC

It is a neutralisation reaction, so we have: acid + base -> salt + water. Since citric acid is triprotic it ionises like so: C6H8O7 -> C6H5O73- + 3H+. For sodium hydroxide: NaOH -> Na+ + OH-. So for the salt the reaction is: C6H5O73- + 3Na+ -> Na3C6H5O7. Overall the reaction is: 3NaOH + C6H8O7 -> Na3C6H5O + 3H2O

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

A student suspects that lead is contaminating a local water supply.

a) State one test that could determine if there is lead present. (1)
b) Explain why concentrations of certain ions need to be maintained with reference to one specific ion. (3)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

A student suspects that lead is contaminating a local water supply.

a) State one test that could determine if there is lead present. (1)
b) Explain why concentrations of certain ions need to be maintained with reference to one specific ion. (3)
a) AAS
b) Lead as a heavy metal can accumulate in the environment, and eventually magnifies up in the food chain to the highest consumer (humans). When it accumulates and enters an organisms' body, it can cause brain damage as it is a neurotoxin, hence why lead levels need to be monitored due to it's environmental impact.

leehuan

HSC

a) AAS
b) Lead as a heavy metal can accumulate in the environment, and eventually magnifies up in the food chain to the highest consumer (humans). When it accumulates and enters an organisms' body, it can cause brain damage as it is a neurotoxin, hence why lead levels need to be monitored due to it's environmental impact.
4/4. Though precipitation by iodide ions may be preferred for (a) because AAS is more suitable when you know there is definitely lead present and you want to know how much lead there is.
Describe how this polymer can be synthesised and relate uses of this biopolymer to its properties. (5)

rand_althor

HSC

4/4. Though precipitation by iodide ions may be preferred for (a) because AAS is more suitable when you know there is definitely lead present and you want to know how much lead there is.
Describe how this polymer can be synthesised and relate uses of this biopolymer to its properties. (5)
a) Petroleum -> Fractional distillation -> Cracking of long chain hydrocarbons -> ethene undergoes a substitution reaction to form phenylethene -> phenylethene monomers take part in an addition polymerisation reaction to form polystyrene

Is that enough for 3 marks?

leehuan

HSC

a) Petroleum -> Fractional distillation -> Cracking of long chain hydrocarbons -> ethene undergoes a substitution reaction to form phenylethene -> phenylethene monomers take part in an addition polymerisation reaction to form polystyrene

Is that enough for 3 marks?
Yep. 3/3

Mr_Kap

HSC

a) Fractional Distillation of Petroleum ---> Catalytic and Thermal Cracking of higher chained hydrocarbons to obtain ethylene (as not enough is 'produced' from fractional distillation) ----> Substition reaction of ethylene with Benzene??? (i don't have a clue how the benzene ring is swapped for a hydrogen in ethylene) ----> This produces styrene ----> Styrene monomers are joined together in an addition reaction involving steps of initiation, propagation, termination -----> This produces polystyrene.

A biopolymer which can be synthesised is PHB. It is produced by feeding bacteria such as Alcigenes Eutrophus or E.Coli on a nurient rich diet until large colonies of the bacteria begin to form, and at this point, glucose is added and the nutrients such as nitrates removed from the diet. This unnatural high energy, low nutrient diet, makes the bacteria automatically secrete PHB as an energy store (similar to fat of humans). PHB is naturally occuring which means it is non toxic and renewable. It is also biodegrable as it decomposes into CO2 and H20, reducing landfill. PHB is also biocompatible hence can be used in medical sutures that don't need removal and decompose over time, hence removing the need or follow up appointments. Finally, it has physical properties similar to propylene meaning it can be used readily as a substiture for polypropylene.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)