HSC 2012-2015 Chemistry Marathon (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Kap

HSC
re: HSC Chemistry Marathon Archive

For Industrial:

In your studies of chemistry you performed a first-hand investigation to gather information and describe the properties of a named emulsion.
a) Outline a suitable method.
b) Explain the properties of the emulsion related to its uses

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

How would I approach this question?

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

@InteGrand I didn't know that they were LOL I just tried to settle things out (I can't rep you for some reason)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Need help for these questions.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Sorry for the calculation questions but I'm just trying to understand them as much as I can.

kawaiipotato

HSC

Need help for these questions.

for the first one:
let x be the molar mass of X
Hence, 1g of NaX = 1/(23 + x)
Concentration of NaX in 100mL = 1/[(0.1)(23+x)]
So a 20mL sample will have 0.02 * 1/[(0.1)(23+x)] moles
Writing out the reaction, HCl and NaX, they react in a 1:1 ratio. So 0.02 * 1/[(0.1)(23+x)] moles = moles of HCl
Moles of HCl = 0.0244 * 0.1
==> 0.02 * 1/[(0.1)(23+x)] = 0.0244 * 0.1
Solve for x
Then the molar mass of NaX is just 23 + x

second one:
assume all mass loss is due to the evaporation of carbon dioxide
mass loss = 381.04 - 380.41 = ... g
Find the amount of moles of CO2 by getting that and dividing by molar mass
Multiply moles with 24.79 (since it's at 25C, 100kPa)

kawaiipotato

HSC

Sorry for the calculation questions but I'm just trying to understand them as much as I can.

Find moles of phosphorus pentoxide (P2O5) by dividing 1.42 by its molar mass
Observing the equations, 1 mol of P2O5 = 2 mol H3PO4
So multiply your acquired moles by 2.
In the second equation, 1mol H3PO4 = 3 mol NaOH
Multiply your new acquired moles by 3 to find mol NaOH
Since you are given concentration and you found the amount of moles of NaOH, divide the moles by concentration which will give the volume of NaOH

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

It's just the "find the volume to neutralise" bit that confuses me, is there a chance that a question might ask find the volume to neutralise half or a quarter of the acid or am I out of my mind? lol.

kawaiipotato

HSC

find the volume to neutralise half or a quarter of the acid
I don't think they'd use those terms. If they did it'd be along the lines of "There was 1 litre of HCl and it took a certain amount of volume to neutralise a quarter of the acid. Find the volume needed " in which case, you'd do the same process, except with a quarter of HCl which is 0.25*1 = 0.25 L

Last edited:

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A

New Question:

Name all the elements in the Periodic Table in alphabetical order.

(7 marks)

Chris_S

HSC

Um. Can I ask a friend?

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A

Sure, you are about to use 1/3 of your lifelines

Chris_S

HSC

Yeah I will use them up! I am clueless

Khan.Paki

HSC

Next question:

Explain the impact of an increase in pressure and an increase in temperature on the solubility of carbon dioxide in water. Include a relevant equation in your answer. [3 marks]

Mufasa64

HSC

Next question:

Explain the impact of an increase in pressure and an increase in temperature on the solubility of carbon dioxide in water. Include a relevant equation in your answer. [3 marks]
Carbon dioxide is partially soluble in water according to the equilibrium reaction
CO2(g) + H2O(l) <------> H2CO3(aq) (delta H<0)
The system is at equilibrium so according to Le Chatelier's principle if a system at equilbrium is disturbed it will adjust itself to minimise the disturbance. The reaction is exothermic so if there is an increase in temperature the reaction will shift to the left since the reverse reaction is endothermic to absorb the extra heat produced. This will decrease the solubility of carbon dioxide in water because more CO2 and water will be produced.
If pressure is increased the concentration of CO2 will also increase and the equilibrium has been disturbed so the reaction shifts right to produce more H2CO3 to reduce the concentration of CO2 and so the solubility of CO2 in water will increase.

Analyse why ethylene is such an important starting material for the chemical industry. In your answer, include relevant chemical equations, and a description of new materials and fuels that can be prepared from ethylene.(7 marks)

sharoooooo

HSC

New Question:

Name all the elements in the Periodic Table in alphabetical order.

(7 marks)
i memorised up to number 62 on the periodic table in order. not alphabetical tho...
can i still get a mark?

Mr_Kap

HSC

"Ethylene is such an important starting material for the chemical industry." Assess this statement,include relevant chemical equations, and a description of new materials and fuels that can be prepared from ethylene.(7 marks)
FTFY.

Ethylene is indeed one of the most important starting materials for the chemical industry. This is because it can be used t make a variety of useful substances, as it has a highly reactive double bond of high electron density, across which smaller molecules and electronegative elements can attach to. Some of the most useful substances and products made include Ethanol, Polyethylene, Styrene and Vinyl Chloride.
Ethanol
Ethylene can be used to make ethanol, one of the largest industrial solvents. Ethanol can also be used to make other chemical substances. Through the reaction of ethylene with steam and dilute sulfuric acid catalyst, (the hydration of ethylene), ethanol is made.
This is seen through the equation: CH2=CH2 (g) + H2O (g) ---dilute H2SO4---> CH3-CH2-OH (g).
Ethanol is also the ONLY fuel that can be created from ethylene. This however, is not beneficial to us as it does not solve the problem of the depleting petroleum source, as ethylene comes from the fractional distillation of Petroleum followed by catalytic cracking of higher chained hydrocarbons. Hence, ethylene is not an important starting material in the making of fuels.

Polyethylene
Ethylene can make Polyethylene through an addition reaction of the monomer ethylene. The most common types of Polyethylene which can be produced are HDPE and LDPE, the difference being that HDPE production uses a Ziegler Natta catalyst. Some other types of Polyethylene produced include LLDPE, VLDPE, XLPE, MDPE, HDXLPE, UHMWPE, ULMWPE, HMWPE, and CPE, hence showing the vast range of products which can be produced from ethylene.
The equation is as shown: CH2=CH2 + CH2=CH2 + ..... --> (CH2+CH2)n.
Polyethylene is a 'new material' made by ethylene and is used significantly in the plastic material. Some examples include use in plastic bottles, plastic bags, plastic containers, plastic films and many other plastic materials.

Vinyl Chloride and Styrene

Can't be bothered to do this one properly.
But basically, mention reactive double bond of ethylene allows molecules like benzene ring, and also electronegative substances like Cl to be attached, forming Styrene (ethylbenzene) and Vinyl Chloride (chloroethene) monomers respectively. When addition reaction of those monomers occur it forms PolyStyrene and PVC which are very useful materials. PVC numerous uses including pipes, wire and cable coatings, and packaging materials. Polystyrene uses: foam cups, clear CD cases, plastic cutlery and dinnerware.
Add a chemical reactions of the polymerisation of both. As seen these new materials produced from ethylene have numerous uses.

Assessment: Overall, it can be seen that Ethylene is indeed an important starting material for the chemical industry producing many new materials such as Ethanol, poylethylene, Styrene and Vinyl Chloride, which are used extenisvely in society. Hence, this statement is most definitely true. However, the only fuel produced from ethylene is ethanol, which is better produced through the fermentation of glucose in order to save limited petroleum sources, hence ethylene is not important in developing fuels.

sharoooooo

HSC

Analyse why ethylene is such an important starting material for the chemical industry. In your answer, include relevant chemical equations, and a description of new materials and fuels that can be prepared from ethylene.(7 marks)
Ethylene is an important starting material as it has many uses and can be transformed in many ways.
Ethylene is reactive due to its double bond, opening up for 2 new bonding sites.
Ethylene hydrated to become ethanol, and its use as a fuel additive.
C2H4 + H2O (dilute H2SO4)--> C2H5OH
Ethanol can be dehydrated. C2H5OH (CONC H2SO4) --> C2H4 + H2O
Ethanol is a polar substance; hence, making it a universal solvent. Useful in cosmetics (perfumes).
Ethylene can be oxidised and used as a fumigant.
Ethylene can undergo addition polymerisation and form HDPE and LDPE.
HDPE involves little chain branching; thus, has a very rigid structure. Useful as wheelie garbage bins.
LDPE involves a lot of chain branching; thus, has a flexible structure. Useful as cling wrap.
Ethylene can be transformed into PVC (polyvinylchloride) which is rigid and water resistant. Useful in underground water piping.
It can also form the polymer, polystyrene which rigid. Useful as CD cases. Air can also be blown through to trap air bubbles to be used in foam cups as a good insulator.
Therefore, its very good as a starting material as it can be used for lots of different purposes.

Nitric oxide, NO, an air pollutant produced by motor cars, reacts with oxygen to form nitrogen dioxide, NO2, another air pollutant. What volume of oxygen is needed to react with 750 mL nitric oxide and what volume of nitrogen dioxide is formed? All volumes are measured at the standard temperature and pressure. (3 mark)

Mr_Kap

HSC

Ethylene is an important starting material as it has many uses and can be transformed in many ways.
Ethylene is reactive due to its double bond, opening up for 2 new bonding sites.
Ethylene hydrated to become ethanol, and its use as a fuel additive.
C2H4 + H2O (dilute H2SO4)--> C2H5OH
Ethanol can be dehydrated. C2H5OH (CONC H2SO4) --> C2H4 + H2O
Ethanol is a polar substance; hence, making it a universal solvent. Useful in cosmetics (perfumes).
Ethylene can be oxidised and used as a fumigant.
Ethylene can undergo addition polymerisation and form HDPE and LDPE.
HDPE involves little chain branching; thus, has a very rigid structure. Useful as wheelie garbage bins.
LDPE involves a lot of chain branching; thus, has a flexible structure. Useful as cling wrap.
Ethylene can be transformed into PVC (polyvinylchloride) which is rigid and water resistant. Useful in underground water piping.
It can also form the polymer, polystyrene which rigid. Useful as CD cases. Air can also be blown through to trap air bubbles to be used in foam cups as a good insulator.
Therefore, its very good as a starting material as it can be used for lots of different purposes.

[/B]
like 3 or 4 out of 7, but im not sure if it was just because laziness.

Read my answer above for a better response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)