HSC 2013 MX2 Marathon (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Re: HSC 2013 4U Marathon

There was a time when teachers would say the proofs of irrationality of e and pi were beyond the syllabus. Then the proofs appeared in HSC exams!
I think Peter Brown from UNSW wrote Q8b of the 2003 paper. Apparently no one got full marks for Q8 that year.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

I just made this now:

Only knowledge from Polynomials really, can be done by anyone.

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

I think Peter Brown from UNSW wrote Q8b of the 2003 paper. Apparently no one got full marks for Q8 that year.
I can't see how tbh, when I did it whilst going through past papers I pretty much got all of it out (and this was quite a while back).

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC

I can't see how tbh, when I did it whilst going through past papers I pretty much got all of it out (and this was quite a while back).
The pressure of doing the exam is a pretty big factor. I did around 10 ext2 HSC past papers and my lowest mark on those would still have scaled far higher than my actual exam mark. A friend of mine is a maths genius and for his study, he started doing past HSC papers from the early 90's and beat-or-equalled the first-in-state mark for every year except one, all the way to 2011. He panicked during the actual exam and lost a bunch of marks. Shit happens when you're under that kind of stress.

deswa1

HSC

The pressure of doing the exam is a pretty big factor. I did around 10 ext2 HSC past papers and my lowest mark on those would still have scaled far higher than my actual exam mark. A friend of mine is a maths genius and for his study, he started doing past HSC papers from the early 90's and beat-or-equalled the first-in-state mark for every year except one, all the way to 2011. He panicked during the actual exam and lost a bunch of marks. Shit happens when you're under that kind of stress.
This. When I was doing past papers, I could hit 110+/120 pretty consistently. In the HSC, I think I got 82/100 raw. It wasn't even that I was stressed or anything, I felt fine but idk- it just happens.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A

I think he said that quite a few students got close but didn't quite manage it (were a few marks short). He marked Q8 too that year.

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

This was on the Wikipedia page for the Divisor function:

Note how it says: 'the Riemann Hypothesis is equivalent to the statement that'

Doesn't that mean that if we prove this that we prove the Riemann hypothesis, and as far as I know, the Riemann hypothesis is unsolved.....
What does the wikipedia page mean by what I bolded?

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC

IMO problems are floating around in this thread? o_O *steps back to make room for the pros*

I just made this now:

Only knowledge from Polynomials really, can be done by anyone.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

IMO problems are floating around in this thread? o_O *steps back to make room for the pros*

Nice work man. I will post another question soon (probably more about Palindromic polynomials), I first want to know what is fishy about the above question about the Harmonic numbers.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A

i don't think it is fishy

you can check it on the calculator for example f2=3.317...>σ2=3.

seanieg89

HSC

This was on the Wikipedia page for the Divisor function:

Note how it says: 'the Riemann Hypothesis is equivalent to the statement that'

Doesn't that mean that if we prove this that we prove the Riemann hypothesis, and as far as I know, the Riemann hypothesis is unsolved.....
What does the wikipedia page mean by what I bolded?
Yes, a solution to this question would be equivalent to proving Riemann.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

I'll let some one else try this, I got the answer but it's far too big to fit in the margin of this post.

seanieg89

HSC

I think he meant fishy in the sense that there is unlikely to be an mx2 level solution to this question. If there is, the person who finds it should probably spend his time sending his solution to the Clay Institute rather than typing it here.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

I initially thought of taking the case of n prime and n not prime and somehow using the prime number theorem thing. But I can't get anywhere.

But we get 1000 000 for proving this then, I doubt the question is legit....

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Obviously :).
Freaking hell, why did I try and spend about an 1 hour trying to prove something that is out of the reach of even research mathematicians

-.-

seanieg89

HSC

Freaking hell, why did I try and spend about an 1 hour trying to prove something that is out of the reach of even research mathematicians

-.-
lol.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

hey guys I made a new question:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)