HSC 2014 MX2 Marathon ADVANCED (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Re: HSC 2014 4U Marathon - Advanced Level

Ah right, I see what you mean. (Our teacher did show us it though as a useful inequality to know and know how to prove, like AM-GM-HM.)

Do you know if I would lose any marks for having a solution like that? fleshed out a bit in an actual exam.
Extend that to QM-AM-GM-HM.

glittergal96

HSC

Well sure lol. The power means inequalities in general are all helpful / easy to remember.

abecina

HSC
N/A

Does anyone know a book that has deeper complex numbers/polynomial theoretical styled problems like the 2011 Extension 2 HSC Exam Q8 (c). If so, please let us know :p.
The USSR Olympiad Problem book by Shklarsky has a small but deeply insightful chapter on the algebra of polynomials. Chapter 8, i think. All questions have worked solutions too.

sepseminar

HSC

With regards to the circle geometry problem above, there are a number of ways to solve the problem. If you want a hint, just highlight the following text: Proof by contradiction is very helpful in existence problems like these. For instance, you could consider what would happen if you had a quadrilateral with only three sides tangent to a circle. You'll find that the given condition on the sides leads to a contradiction.

I believe the result is called Pitot's Theorem, which, although outside the syllabus, is definitely provable within the confines of the MX2 syllabus and is a nifty result.

aoniumz

HSC
N/A

Where on Earth are we going to learn the proof by contradiction? I don't recall that in any textbook I have ever looked at? Maybe I missed it by some chance?

sepseminar

HSC

Sorry, I should have been more clear when I said 'confines of the syllabus'. While I don't think it's explicitly mentioned in the syllabus, it is a technique that comes up in HSC 4u exams (generally in the harder questions, for instance in 2011). Moreover, it's a technique that's used very generally in proofs of the results that have come up in the 3u/4u syllabus (and in mathematics as a field of research). For instance, the proofs of the converses of many of the basic circle geometry theorems are all good examples of the logically intuitive idea of proof by contradiction, which has to be used subtly on most occasions.

I should note that the problem is still difficult with that hint and so kudos to anyone who solves it.

RealiseNothing

HSC

Where on Earth are we going to learn the proof by contradiction? I don't recall that in any textbook I have ever looked at? Maybe I missed it by some chance?
It has come up in many past HSC exams.

Just because something isn't in the textbook doesn't mean it isn't a skill that can't be used.

Take for example a telescoping sum, which isn't in textbooks, but has come up plenty of times in HSC exams.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

A little easy

RealiseNothing

HSC

Let be the k'th Fibonacci number.

Show that:

RealiseNothing

HSC

Let be the k'th Fibonacci number.

Show that:

I'm not sure if there is a HSC method for this question, but feel free to try.

Just in case there isn't, try this:

Prove that for some integer if and only if is prime.

RealiseNothing

HSC

http://prntscr.com/4fvye5

Any idea with part (c) (iii)

This is BOS hsc 1996 Q8 btw
1) Assume that AD is not a tangent.

2) Hence construct a tangent, say AE.

3) Combine the equation you are given that AB+CD=AD+BC with part (b).

4) You can arrive at a contradiction by messing around with this.

RealiseNothing

HSC

I'm not sure if there is a HSC method for this question, but feel free to try.

Just in case there isn't, try this:

Prove that for some integer if and only if is prime.
Not even sure how doable this is with HSC methods.

I tried and got close, can't finish it off though.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

Not even sure how doable this is with HSC methods.

I tried and got close, can't finish it off though.
I doubt there are any 'HSC method proofs' without resorting to some sort of modular arithmetic.

sepseminar

HSC

Yeah, a proof of that result about the primes (I believe it's called Wilson's Theorem) in all probability will involve modular arithmetic, which isn't included in the syllabus. But, if you do happen to know how that works, it is possible to understand a proof. However, the ideas are pretty difficult to motivate and you'd need to lead people through the problem. Here's a probability question.

RealiseNothing

HSC

I doubt there are any 'HSC method proofs' without resorting to some sort of modular arithmetic.
I ended up getting a 4U solution to it. It uses the ideas behind mod arith without directly using mod arith which I think a good 4U student is capable of.

RealiseNothing

HSC

Yeah, a proof of that result about the primes (I believe it's called Wilson's Theorem) in all probability will involve modular arithmetic, which isn't included in the syllabus. But, if you do happen to know how that works, it is possible to understand a proof. However, the ideas are pretty difficult to motivate and you'd need to lead people through the problem. Here's a probability question.

I get 51.2%

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

I ended up getting a 4U solution to it. It uses the ideas behind mod arith without directly using mod arith which I think a good 4U student is capable of.
Interesting, care to share?

glittergal96

HSC

For the probability question I got 3361/6561.

I just enumerated the colourings that don't contain a non-degenerate red triangle as follows:

(Colourings with less than 3 red points) + (Colourings with 3 red collinear points).

For Wilson's theorem, you could show that:

(~) If p is prime, then every nonzero a in {0,1,2,...,p-1} has a multiplicative inverse b (mod p), and that 1 and (p-1) are the only numbers that are self-inverse.

Once you have (~), the product (p-1)! cancels out in pairs except for the first and last term. This leaves a residue of 1*(p-1)=-1 mod p. This proves one direction of Wilson's and the converse is trivial.

To make this an extension two solution, I think we could just recast (~) as

For any prime p and any positive integer a there is a positive integer b such that ab-1 is divisible by p. Moreover, if b' is another such integer, then b-b' must be divisible by p. Also, if a-b is divisible by p and ab-1 is divisible by p, then either a-1 or a+1 is divisible by p.

Knowing about division/remainders is in the course, so this modified statement leads to a proof without mentioning anything out of syllabus I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)