HSC 2014 MX2 Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunjaaa

HSC
Re: HSC 2014 4U Marathon

Screen shot 2014-07-27 at 12.44.44 AM.png An alternative solution that avoids substitution.

mathsbrain

HSC
N/A

Without letting z=x+iy, explain why the locus of is the major arc of a circle. Find the centre of this circle without letting z=x+iy.

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Without letting z=x+iy, explain why the locus of is the major arc of a circle. Find the centre of this circle without letting z=x+iy.
Do you mean

?

---------

aDimitri

i'm the cook
HSC

ok i'm not 100% sure what constitutes letting z = x+iy
Am i allowed to simultaneously solve

Thus finding the equation of the circle?

gahyunkk

HSC

Hey guys how do i do this

Draw diagram of
Argz[z-(root3+i)] =pie/6

mathsbrain

HSC
N/A

ok i'm not 100% sure what constitutes letting z = x+iy
Am i allowed to simultaneously solve

Thus finding the equation of the circle?
We're looking for a geometrical approach without using algebra. So no solving equations(at least not simultaneous equations) if that makes sense

dunjaaa

HSC

sec(x)+tan(x)=A
1/(1-sin(x)) = A
sin(x) = 1 - 1/A
cos^2(x) = 1 - (1-(1/A))^2 = (2A-1)/A^2
cos(x) = ±[sqrt(2A-1)]/A
1/(1 - cos(x)) = A/(A±sqrt(2A-1))
Therefore, cosec(x) + cot(x) = A/(A±sqrt(2A-1)) where A>= 1/2

aDimitri

i'm the cook
HSC

is it sufficient to consider the construction of perpendicular bisectors of each of the sides of the triangle formed by the 3 points, and noting that for any 3 points, the 3 perpendicular bisectors all meet at one location, meaning there is only one possible center for a circle touching these three points.
could prove this with co-ordinate geometry but i cbb

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

is it sufficient to consider the construction of perpendicular bisectors of each of the sides of the triangle formed by the 3 points, and noting that for any 3 points, the 3 perpendicular bisectors all meet at one location, meaning there is only one possible center for a circle touching these three points.
What you are talking about is the orthocenter, but the orthocenter is not the centroid of a triangle and is not equidistant to all 3 points.

Here is a hint:

The general equation of a circle in the co-ordinate plane is:

Axio

=o
HSC

:dog:

Last edited:

glittergal96

HSC

What you are talking about is the orthocenter, but the orthocenter is not the centroid of a triangle and is not equidistant to all 3 points.

Here is a hint:

The general equation of a circle in the co-ordinate plane is:
I think Dimitri is correct. The orthocenter is the intersection of the perpendicular cevians, the intersection of perpendicular bisectors is the circumcenter...which is what your question is asking for.

Think about it this way. Lying on a perpendicular bisector of a side means you are equidistant from a certain two of the triangles vertices. So lying on all three perpendicular bisectors means you are equidistant from all three.

(And the centroid is something different altogether. That is the meeting point of the bisecting cevians.)

Last edited:

aDimitri

i'm the cook
HSC

I think Dimitri is correct. The orthocenter is the intersection of the perpendicular cevians, the intersection of perpendicular bisectors is the circumcenter...which is what your question is asking for.

Think about it this way. Lying on a perpendicular bisector of a side means you are equidistant from a certain two of the triangles vertices. So lying on all three perpendicular bisectors means you are equidistant from all three.

(And the centroid is something different altogether. That is the meeting point of the bisecting cevians.)
Yes this is exactly what i meant.
Don't the perpendicular bisectors meet at the circumcenter?

Stygian

HSC

your proof is more elegant and yes the the perpendicular bisectors do meet at the circumcentre

(interesting to note is that this occurs irrespective of whether this circumcentre is external to the triangle or not)

In terms of what Sy said, the orthocentre is slightly different, it being the intersection of the altitudes of a triangle

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Yes this is exactly what i meant.
Don't the perpendicular bisectors meet at the circumcenter?
your proof is more elegant and yes the the perpendicular bisectors do meet at the circumcentre

(interesting to note is that this occurs irrespective of whether this circumcentre is external to the triangle or not)

In terms of what Sy said, the orthocentre is slightly different, it being the intersection of the altitudes of a triangle
Ah I see, ok, my bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)