HSC 2015 Economics Marathon (1 Viewer)

milkytea99

HSC
Re: 2015 HSC Economics Marathon

Uhhh I think its worth mentioning that Fiscal and Labour market policies have been asked last year. That being said, from what I noticed, previous year essays questions end up being this years short answer.
That's strange, because they have fiscal and labour market question AGAIN in this year's independent trial as essay question.

Ekman

HSC

That's strange, because they have fiscal and labour market question AGAIN in this year's independent trial as essay question.
Well independent also asks monetary every single year, so its not really a reliable indicator.

milkytea99

HSC

Well independent also asks monetary every single year, so its not really a reliable indicator.
Alright lol, cuz I thought INDEPDENDENT and CSSA are good predictions for essays

ta26

HSC
N/A

Explain the relationship between unemployment rate and the labour force participation rate for an economy? (3marks)

milkytea99

HSC

Explain the relationship between unemployment rate and the labour force participation rate for an economy? (3marks)
I'll try doing this question, but please don't laugh if you think my responses are bad haha. Please give some feedback thanks.

The labour force participation rate refers to the percentage of the population, aged 15 and over, in the labour force, that is either employed or unemployed.It is shown through the formula labour force participation rate (%)= labour force/working age population (15+)x100/1. Whereas the unemployment rate is a statistic which reflects on the number of people who are out of work, but are actively seeking work. The unemployment rate has the formula unemployment rate(%)= number of persons unemployed/total labour force x100/1. Thus, it can be seen that the unemployment rate reflects the percentage of people in the labour force who are unemployed and it also accurately reflects upon the demographics of the working age population.

HSC

I'll try doing this question, but please don't laugh if you think my responses are bad haha. Please give some feedback thanks.

The labour force participation rate refers to the percentage of the population, aged 15 and over, in the labour force, that is either employed or unemployed.It is shown through the formula labour force participation rate (%)= labour force/working age population (15+)x100/1. Whereas the unemployment rate is a statistic which reflects on the number of people who are out of work, but are actively seeking work. The unemployment rate has the formula unemployment rate(%)= number of persons unemployed/total labour force x100/1. Thus, it can be seen that the unemployment rate reflects the percentage of people in the labour force who are unemployed and it also accurately reflects upon the demographics of the working age population.
You should also mention how when the labour force expands (i.e. more unemployed + employed) that the labour force participation will increase and simultaneously, the unemployment rate will fall.

milkytea99

HSC

You should also mention how when the labour force expands (i.e. more unemployed + employed) that the labour force participation will increase and simultaneously, the unemployment rate will fall.
Alright thanks :D

spatula232

HSC

Multiple Choice Question for you lot -- 2013 HSC - Q.18
Australia's headline annual (CPI) inflation rate has fallen from 3% to 2%, while the underlying annual inflation rate remains unchanged at 3%.
The divergence between these two measures of inflation is most likely due to:

A) A decrease in house prices
B) An increase in house prices
C) A decrease in world oil supply
D) An increase in world oil supply

An explanation would be beautiful :)

Ekman

HSC

Multiple Choice Question for you lot -- 2013 HSC - Q.18
Australia's headline annual (CPI) inflation rate has fallen from 3% to 2%, while the underlying annual inflation rate remains unchanged at 3%.
The divergence between these two measures of inflation is most likely due to:

A) A decrease in house prices
B) An increase in house prices
C) A decrease in world oil supply
D) An increase in world oil supply

An explanation would be beautiful :)
Well there is a change in the headline inflation, meaning there is some change in price of a volatile good. Judging from the options given and using common knowledge, oil prices are very volatile, due to its increased scarcity. So that gets rid of answers A and B. Now the inflation rate decreased, meaning the prices of the volatile good must of decreased. This can be caused by an increase in supply (Demand and supply curve). Hence answer is D

spatula232

HSC

List 5 implications that changes to the AUD has on the performance of the Australian economy. 5

atargainz

HSC

List 5 implications that changes to the AUD has on the performance of the Australian economy. 5
- A fluctuation in the exchange rate may infer the valuation effect, such that an economy's foreign debt and therefore current account deficit may be affected. An appreciation in the currency will evoke a decrease in debits from the net primary income account, such that the CAD is improved. This will increase investor confidence in Australia and may result in increased financial inflows and even eventually a higher credit rating.
- Additionally an appreciation will grant consumers increased import purchasing power and encourage them to buy imported goods. This will cause a worsen the trade deficit (X-M) and worsen the CAD.
- A depreciation of the dollar results in lowered import purchasing power for consumers and will therefore lead to imported inflation, which will lead to lowered economic growth and investor uncertainty. Similarly an appreciation will decrease inflationary pressures.
- A depreciation will make Australian exports increasingly competitive on the international market by making exports cheaper. This will increase international competitiveness of export firms and therefore increase economic growth
- An appreciation on the other hand will make Australian exports less competitive, thereby causing firms to slow down production and will eventually lead to a surge in unemployment.

Considering this is a 'list' question, would this be sufficient for a 5/5?

atargainz

HSC

Analyse the effects of a 2.5% increase in the national minimum wage by the Fair Work commission of the labour market. Assume that the minimum wage is above the equilibrium wage. [3]

spatula232

HSC

Considering this is a 'list' question, would this be sufficient for a 5/5?
As a list, you definitely wouldn't need any more info than that. I'd say it's pretty good. Only issue I have is with the first point. I'd explicitly say that an appreciation in the AUD would lead to a fall in relative debt repayments due to the higher rate of exchange; as opposed to it causing a "decrease in debits" - say why.

aanthnnyyy

HSC
2015 HSC Economics Marathon

Analyse the effects of a 2.5% increase in the national minimum wage by the Fair Work commission of the labour market. Assume that the minimum wage is above the equilibrium wage. [3]
Any increases to the national minimum wage will only impact upon the labour market if the current minimum wage is above free market equilibrium wage rate. Hence, with a 2.5% increase to this national minimum wage by the FWC the supply of labour increases as the amount of workers encouraged to actively seek work increase. Conversely, this 'ripple effect' will lead to a decline in the demand for labour as firms see workers as being overly expensive. In turn this will increase the unemployment rate (Supply increase, demand falls). (Also helps alleviate poverty)

Feedback pls !

spatula232

HSC

Any increases to the national minimum wage will only impact upon the labour market if the current minimum wage is above free market equilibrium wage rate. Hence, with a 2.5% increase to this national minimum wage by the FWC the supply of labour increases as the amount of workers encouraged to actively seek work increase. Conversely, this 'ripple effect' will lead to a decline in the demand for labour as firms see workers as being overly expensive. In turn this will increase the unemployment rate (Supply increase, demand falls). (Also helps alleviate poverty)

Feedback pls !
Seems good. I probably would've included something along the lines of 2.5% likely being in line with inflation, so the rise of the minimum wage could possibly result in nominal wage increases as opposed to real increases. In this way there is the possibility of not increasing the rate of unemployment.

Ekman

HSC

Feedback pls !
Supply doesn't increase, supply expands (wording is key when talking about movements in the demand and supply curve). Another effect you can talk about is the decrease in income inequality and lower wage earners now earn more, however there is greater unemployment so im not sure if the two cancel each other out. Also an increase in cost-push inflation if the businesses decide to keep the same amount of people employed, but this is cancelled out if they fire the employees in order to maintain costs.

spatula232

HSC

On the topic of labour markets, are essay questions always included with an issue, e.g. labour market policies to reduce the NAIRU etc etc. Or has there been a straight labour market essay, with no other area?

aanthnnyyy

HSC

Supply doesn't increase, supply expands (wording is key when talking about movements in the demand and supply curve). Another effect you can talk about is the decrease in income inequality and lower wage earners now earn more, however there is greater unemployment so im not sure if the two cancel each other out. Also an increase in cost-push inflation if the businesses decide to keep the same amount of people employed, but this is cancelled out if they fire the employees in order to maintain costs.
I've heard this terminology to be used for curves since its sliding up n down (contraction expansion), but say if it was labour market reforms that completely shift the curve to the right e.g.(Decentralized wage system). Would it be okay to use 'increase'. Sorry if this is confusing it's much easier to see the actual curve ^^

spatula232

HSC

I've heard this terminology to be used for curves since its sliding up n down (contraction expansion), but say if it was labour market reforms that completely shift the curve to the right e.g.(Decentralized wage system). Would it be okay to use 'increase'. Sorry if this is confusing it's much easier to see the actual curve ^^
My bad, Ekman is right there, as usual. In the case of increasing the minimum wage, think of a demand and supply curve with the price rising. At that given price, supply would expand (rise up the curve) and demand would contract (slide down) -- I think. I believe it is similar to a floor price from Year 11 (where the price is locked above equilibrium), there is an excess of demand relative to supply.

An increase or decrease is where the whole curve shifts; so yes, a decentralised system would increase supply due to efficiencies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)