• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2015 MX1 Marathon (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Re: HSC 2015 3U Marathon

InteGrand have you got any tips for projectile motion in regards to how I should be approaching them (And if possible could you please post all necessary equations in case I have missed anything) ?

They tend to be in tiered questions (i.e. a, b, c, etc.) and the one's that say "show that" (I'm not talking about the easy "show that" ones like deriving the horizontal and vertical displacement equations) give me an idea of what manipulations are necessary, etc. whilst others can be really dodgy and I find it difficult to begin the question :/

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Is that formula a thing we need to remember? I for one using all my textbooks have not seen that before. (My formula book is the Warwick Marlin book .)
Well it's good to keep it in mind, but you'll usually be given it or asked to derive it if you need it. And it's given to you in the question you posted.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

AS much as a challenging subject this is, I love it. There is a sense of satisfaction once you do more and more of these questions. (and start getting a few right)

Drsoccerball

HSC

Three men Bill, Garry and Jason observe a vertical tower. Bill stands du North of the tower, and sees its top at an angle of elevation of A. Garry stands due East of the tower, and sees its top at an angle of elevation of B. Jason stands on a line from Bill to Garry, exactly half way between them.
If Jason observes the top of the tower at an angle of elevation of
Show that

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

InteGrand have you got any tips for projectile motion in regards to how I should be approaching them (And if possible could you please post all necessary equations in case I have missed anything) ?

They tend to be in tiered questions (i.e. a, b, c, etc.) and the one's that say "show that" (I'm not talking about the easy "show that" ones like deriving the horizontal and vertical displacement equations) give me an idea of what manipulations are necessary, etc. whilst others can be really dodgy and I find it difficult to begin the question :/
Some useful equations that are not always emphasised are that the net speed of the ball at any time is and that the angle the projectile is making with the horizontal at any time is given by .

Another thing to keep in mind is that the horizontal range is maximised when the angle of projection α is 45º (so tan(α) = 1). This is quite easy to forget sometimes but I remember it being useful for a projectile Q in a past HSC (can't remember which year or the exact Q).

I guess most of the harder 'show that' Q's mostly require practice to improve (seeing many different Q's and reflecting on their solutions etc., since there are quite a variety of Q's that can be asked in the harder range for projectiles, but certain solution techniques may manifest themselves in other Q's). Often they're Q's like 'show that if the ball passes through a hole, then ...', or something like that. So for these types of Q's, you should think about what it means mathematically for the ball to pass through the hole (e.g. it might mean: when x = a, the height of the ball is between b and c, i.e. b < y(a) < c, where y(x) is the trajectory as a function of x (which you will probably get asked to derive beforehand). Then from the inequality b < y(a) < c, manipulating from here may lead to the desired result), and then work from there.

You can try Q7 from the 1995 HSC 3U paper for practice, probably one of the hardest projectile motion Q's in HSC 3U from the past 20 years (took up all of Q7 there), or just post Q's on here :): http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2000exams/hsc00_maths/95MAT3U.PDF.

Last edited:

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

Am I right to assume when I get down to the last stage, I can use a calculator to solve for this? I know it it a calculator allowed exam.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

Some useful equations that are not always emphasised are that the net speed of the ball at any time is and that the angle the projectile is making with the horizontal at any time is given by .

Another thing to keep in mind is that the horizontal range is maximised when the angle of projection α is 45º (so tan(α) = 1). This is quite easy to forget sometimes but I remember it being useful for a projectile Q in a past HSC (can't remember which year or the exact Q).

I guess most of the harder 'show that' Q's mostly require practice to improve (seeing many different Q's and reflecting on their solutions etc., since there are quite a variety of Q's that can be asked in the harder range for projectiles, but certain solution techniques may manifest themselves in other Q's). Often they're Q's like 'show that if the ball passes through a hole, then ...', or something like that. So for these types of Q's, you should think about what it means mathematically for the ball to pass through the hole (e.g. it might mean: when x = a, the height of the ball is between b and c, i.e. b < y(a) < c, where y(x) is the trajectory as a function of x (which you will probably get asked to derive beforehand). Then from the inequality b < y(a) < c, manipulating from here may lead to the desired result), and then work from there.

You can try Q7 from the 1995 HSC 3U paper for practice, probably one of the hardest projectile motion Q's in HSC 3U from the past 20 years (took up all of Q7 there), or just post Q's on here :): http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2000exams/hsc00_maths/95MAT3U.PDF.
Thanks heaps :D

That was a pretty good question

I was surprised that they required you to use the 2 unit formula of l = r(theta) o_O

I got every part but was unsure about my reasoning for the first part. They say that it is tangential at P and Q, so would it suffice to say that since its a right angle triangle you can apply Pythagoras' Theorem?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Thanks heaps :D

That was a pretty good question

I was surprised that they required you to use the 2 unit formula of l = r(theta) o_O

I got every part but was unsure about my reasoning for the first part. They say that it is tangential at P and Q, so would it suffice to say that since its a right angle triangle you can apply Pythagoras' Theorem?
Which Q are you talking about? Not the one in the link (1995 HSC) right? Since there's no involvement of in that one. Edit: Are you talking about Q 6(b) there? (I meant Q7 for the projectile Q in that link.)

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Yeah, except not Pythagoras' Theorem, just simple right-angled trigonometry (i.e. cosine(angle) = adjacent/hypotenuse).

Drsoccerball

HSC

Three men Bill, Garry and Jason observe a vertical tower. Bill stands du North of the tower, and sees its top at an angle of elevation of A. Garry stands due East of the tower, and sees its top at an angle of elevation of B. Jason stands on a line from Bill to Garry, exactly half way between them.
If Jason observes the top of the tower at an angle of elevation of
Show that
BUMP

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

Yeah, except not Pythagoras' Theorem, just simple right-angled trigonometry (i.e. cosine(angle) = adjacent/hypotenuse).
Oh sht yeah I meant trig

*sighs* Apologies for the hard derping I'm usually not the one to stay up at a time like this

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

Which Q are you talking about? Not the one in the link (1995 HSC) right? Since there's no involvement of in that one. Edit: Are you talking about Q 6(b) there? (I meant Q7 for the projectile Q in that link.)
Yeah I used it in 7

l = 3 ( (pi) - (theta))

From cos(theta) = 3 / x ------> theta = inverse[cos] 3 / x

Therefore

l = 3 ( (pi) - inverse[cos] 3 / x)

Yeah I double derped that's actually question 6

It isn't even projectile LOL

I'm gonna go to bed and do it tomorrow morning

Good Night!

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

In terms of MCQ, the choice I would go for is between the interval 1/4 < x < 1/2. But we would have to obtain the step up above using a calculator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)