• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2015 MX1 Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Re: HSC 2015 3U Marathon

In the solution says 'Draw the perpendicular OA from O to DE and the perpendicular PB from P to FC.' Now in pencil, I have drawn the line and shown point A there, should i also draw a line from centre P to line FG instead of FC as mentioned in the solution?

Drsoccerball

HSC

How do you upload photos i have the solution

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

I get the feeling with answering Circle Geometry answers, there isn't necessarily only 1 solution. There are a number of ways you can get to an answer.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

I get the feeling with answering Circle Geometry answers, there isn't necessarily only 1 solution. There are a number of ways you can get to an answer.
That tends to be the case a majority of the time

People also find memorising the 17 or so theories relatively simple, but struggle to apply them to exam questions

Drsoccerball

HSC

That tends to be the case a majority of the time

People also find memorising the 17 or so theories relatively simple, but struggle to apply them to exam questions
All the questions you should be thinking : Why do they give the information that they do. I have an arsenal of techniques. X amount is eliminated. Then go through possible ones

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

Is there a way students try to learn this rule? I for one dont want to memorize. Any tips from the experienced in here?

I think for me is, the best way is to draw the '4 Quadrants' and work at deriving those formulas.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

I had a question tonight, find the 'General solution of tan 2x=sqrt(3)' whilst its not a hard question. I still had to refer to the formula book to get the right answer. Maybe its a case of me needing to do many more questions similar to that for those formulas to be reinforced in my head?

Drsoccerball

HSC

Is there a way students try to learn this rule? I for one dont want to memorize. Any tips from the experienced in here?

I think for me is, the best way is to draw the '4 Quadrants' and work at deriving those formulas.
Memorise circle geo.

Drsoccerball

HSC

I didnt see the image sorry. Derive those :L

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

The question . Simplify, where alpha is an acute angle.

I'm a bit hesitant as to where to start from this one. I know the domain of cos^(-1) x is between -1 and 1. (cos 0 =1 and also cos 180=-1)

I set Pi + Alpha between 0 and Pi but am coming up with negative values. My thinking is we have to possibly change the domain from say y from Pi to 2 Pi.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

The question . Simplify, where alpha is an acute angle.

I'm a bit hesitant as to where to start from this one. I know the domain of cos^(-1) x is between -1 and 1. (cos 0 =1 and also cos 180=-1)

I set Pi + Alpha between 0 and Pi but am coming up with negative values. My thinking is we have to possibly change the domain from say y from Pi to 2 Pi.
The first helpful thing to notice, is that the range of the cosine inverse function is between and . This means we can't do the old method of cancelling out the inverse cosine and the cosine because this would give us which since is acute would not be valid since it is outside the range.

However, we can still try to apply this by manipulating the expression. First, to give a proper definition of the trick, remember that:

This is true precisely because of the definition of an inverse function, and precisely because that domain is the domain of the original function that we wish to 'invert'.

So proceeding from this, we want to manipulate the given expression into one in which we can use .

Remember that, and , which means
(To see this fact more clearly, imagine drawing horizontal lines in a y = cos x graph below the x-axis, and see that when the line intersects one part of the cosine graph, it intersects the opposite side, symmetrical to )

So that,

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

The first helpful thing to notice, is that the range of the cosine inverse function is between and . This means we can't do the old method of cancelling out the inverse cosine and the cosine because this would give us which since is acute would not be valid since it is outside the range.

However, we can still try to apply this by manipulating the expression. First, to give a proper definition of the trick, remember that:

This is true precisely because of the definition of an inverse function, and precisely because that domain is the domain of the original function that we wish to 'invert'.

So proceeding from this, we want to manipulate the given expression into one in which we can use .

Remember that, and , which means
(To see this fact more clearly, imagine drawing horizontal lines in a y = cos x graph below the x-axis, and see that when the line intersects one part of the cosine graph, it intersects the opposite side, symmetrical to )

So that,

Tjanks I didn't know that rule about cos (x +\alpha)) being equal to cos (x - \alpha)

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

I don't know if many of you guys have used or heard of 'Sami El Hosri' but I am pinching his questions from there. Any ideas about what you think about the standard of questions he sets ? For me I think its the real deal, about the right standard of HSC Extension 1 Papers.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

If you guys are keen El Hosri, he has a MSC and DipEd

Generally speaking I have been throughly tested. I have spent 1 year doing Prelim and HSC Extension 1 maths questions. Make no mistake I do feel you need the full 2 years as there is alot of content to go through. I sometimes applaud the students that are doing Extension 1 and 2 together,the amount of time you have to put in , on top of the other subjects makes it a real challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)