• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2016 MX1 Marathon (archive) (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Re: HSC 2016 3U Marathon

I used the example with a probability value of 0.9975 when it should have been 0.9995, that changes the answer fairly significantly.
Your method wasn't actually quite correct. This is because the events of pairs having different birthdays are not independent events, so we can't just multiply the probabilities like that. If we could just multiply them like that, we'd always have a non-zero probability of having no pairs with same birthday (just like there's always a non-zero probability of getting no tails from a set of coin tosses). But clearly if we had 366 people in the room, we always will have a pair with same birthdays, by the pigeonhole principle.

leehuan

HSC

Stop giving hints.
Well I haven't done enough questions like this so whilst I considered the relationship between the golden ratio and it's square both having √5/2 I overlooked the rewriting of the expression

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Well I haven't done enough questions like this so whilst I considered the relationship between the golden ratio and it's square both having √5/2 I overlooked the rewriting of the expression
I expect everyone to know the quadratic relation of the golden ratio. I have few standards, but assumed knowledge is one of them.

leehuan

HSC

I expect everyone to know the quadratic relation of the golden ratio. I have few standards, but assumed knowledge is one of them.
(3+√5)/2 = 1 + (1+√5)/2 went over my head because I forgot the exact thing Drsoccerball mentioned just now

That being said however, whilst it may have been bad that I forgot it, I hope you're not gonna say that to every 3U student out there.

Drsoccerball

HSC

(3+√5)/2 = 1 + (1+√5)/2 went over my head because I forgot the exact thing Drsoccerball mentioned just now

That being said however, whilst it may have been bad that I forgot it, I hope you're not gonna say that to every 3U student out there.
Golden ratio shouldn't even be known by a good extension 2 student.

leehuan

HSC

Yes I'm well aware of the proof using that form lol. But I only remembered the quadratic equation cause I did a bit of reading on transcendental numbers the other day and noted how the golden ratio was not one.

Btw, typo, last line that should be a -1

Shuuya

HSC
Shuuya's endless maths questions SOS thread

I decided to stop making new threads to ask my endless maths questions, so here we are! :D

Inspired by leehuan's SOS thread :spin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)