HSC 2017 Predictions/Preparation Thread [Biology] (1 Viewer)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
That's already been answer way too many times. I was hoping more on explaining the function and structure.
Ah yes explaining the function of each part would be great too :D

Not sure how we would comment on structure!!

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC
Bit of a dumb question but speaking of nerves, do they only contain bundles of axons or do they have dendrites as well?

I've legit seen various sources say different things so I'm so confused lol. Wikipedia and some textbooks for example only states axon but then my bio teacher said it contains dendrites as well.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Bit of a dumb question but speaking of nerves, do they only contain bundles of axons or do they have dendrites as well?

I've legit seen various sources say different things so I'm so confused lol. Wikipedia and some textbooks for example only states axon but then my bio teacher said it contains dendrites as well.
Could your biology teacher been talking about a neuron?

See: https://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2011exams/pdf_doc/2011-hsc-exam-biology.pdf 32A (Communications)

and the sample answer given https://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu....ams/pdf_doc/biology-hsc-sample-answers-11.pdf

Last edited:

same1111

HSC
N/A

I know them to be a bundle of fibres so i suppose they could have both.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

Hmm I don't think you gotta know nerve structure other than it's a bundle of neurons / bundle of axons. I guess naturally you could say they do have dendrites because the bundles of neurons have dendrites.

HSC
For biotech I'm hoping and praying the 7-marker will be on ethics because it's the easiest part of the whole option.
Last time they did it was 2014 so... perhaps?

sourish

HSC
Capture.PNG, could someone please provide me with a response for the question in the picture, have a feeling that a similar question will be in the test

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
View attachment 34287, could someone please provide me with a response for the question in the picture, have a feeling that a similar question will be in the test
1. Simply search up the difference between a motor neuron and a sensory neuron
2. Why do we need micrographs to view neurons? Size, structure, etc.
3. In a nutshell, a minimum threshold needs to be met in order to generate an action potential

ShootingDuck

HSC
Discuss some ethical considerations arising from the development of genetically modified animals. (4)

How would you go about answering this question? When it says "ethical considerations" is it only the negative points it's asking for, or is it both positive and negative since it says "discuss"

r3

HSC
Discuss some ethical considerations arising from the development of genetically modified animals. (4)

How would you go about answering this question? When it says "ethical considerations" is it only the negative points it's asking for, or is it both positive and negative since it says "discuss"
The question asks you to discuss - meaning to consider both benefits and limitations to GM animals. As for answering this question, I'd set it out like this:

Point 1 - Define what a GM animal is. Ideally, you should also outline transgenesis + give an example (Bt cotton, transgenic salmon etc)
Point 2 - Outline at least 2 advantages to producing such organisms, eg. increased productivity and thus profit for farmers + improved quality of food
Point 3 - Talk about at least 2 negatives to GM animals, eg. decreased genetic diversity + shortened life expectancy

could you also please post the criteria if you have it? thanks

Hope this helped!

Last edited:

ShootingDuck

HSC
The question asks you to discuss - meaning to consider both benefits and limitations to GM animals. As for answering this question, I'd set it out like this:

Point 1 - Define what a GM animal is. Ideally, you should also outline transgenesis + give an example (Bt cotton, transgenic salmon etc)
Point 2 - Outline at least 2 advantages to producing such organisms, eg. increased productivity and thus profit for farmers + improved quality of food
Point 3 - Talk about at least 2 negatives to GM animals, eg. decreased genetic diversity + shortened life expectancy

could you also please post the criteria if you have it? thanks

Hope this helped!
Yes that did help, thank you for clarifying. Stupid me only just realised that the older past papers do have marking guidelines rip.

Here it is for that particular question:
• Identification of at least two relevant ethical issues associated with
genetically modifying animals
• Provides an argument for and/or against genetically modifying animals

HSC

See, I'd personally be hesitant to name productivity as an ethical concern.
My ethical positives would probably be something like "reduced need to use environmentally unfriendly pesticides" and "GM crops can be modified for growth in regions with poor soil quality, providing better access to food for all"
And my negatives would be like something about terminator genes and big agriscience companies controlling seed crops, and something about the possibility for animal genes to be placed into plants and the implications of that for vegetarians/muslims/hindus etc.

ShootingDuck

HSC
My ethical positives would probably be something like "reduced need to use environmentally unfriendly pesticides" and "GM crops can be modified for growth in regions with poor soil quality, providing better access to food for all"
And my negatives would be like something about terminator genes and big agriscience companies controlling seed crops, and something about the possibility for animal genes to be placed into plants and the implications of that for vegetarians/muslims/hindus etc.
Those seem like valid points; the only issue is the question that I posted asked about genetically modified animals, not plants.

r3

HSC
Yeah I agree with you about my positive ethical considerations, ty for pointing that out. Also I haven't heard of terminator genes, could you please explain what they are?

Those seem like valid points; the only issue is the question that I posted asked about genetically modified animals, not plants.
You could simply tweak these points to suit the question. Eg. instead of GM crops being grown in poor soils, GM animals such as cattle can be made to tolerate harsh conditions.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

lookinforacookin

HSC
N/A
Wow, you guys predicted they would ask about Beadle and Tatum and it was the 8 marker!! lucky I studied it after coming on here haha

ShootingDuck

HSC
Oh I'm stupid I guess that's what Sourish meant. Yeah we're definitely lucky.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)