HSC 2017 Predictions Thread [Economics] (1 Viewer)

jjHasm

HSC
Post predictions and discussion about what questions you think will be in the 2017 Eco HSC.

I reckon there's gonna be: ESD, how policies (all 3 - mp, fp and mer) have affected inequality, removal of protection, and to put the cherry on top, a CAD Q.

What do you guys think?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
What type of questions did people have for trials?

Maybe through the wisdom of the crowds effect, we can come up with a pretty accurate "guess" for the essay questions.

Mathew587

HSC
Policy Mix or Inequality (Lorenz Curve) AND Globalisation (Not Australia) or BOP (CAD)
same rip
+ a q on exchange rates but thats probs cos she wanted to easy on us.

jjHasm

HSC
What type of questions did people have for trials?

Maybe through the wisdom of the crowds effect, we can come up with a pretty accurate "guess" for the essay questions.
got exchange rates or reasons and impacts of expansionary fp and protectionism or polices distribution of income and weath

jjHasm

HSC
How does someone write an exchange rate essay? I haven't seen many good examples online
tbh depends on what type of exchange rate question. if its like "impact of changes in global eco on exchange rate and au eco gr" (which was the one in my trial), i structured it as - Intro (talk about recent trends and past trends e.g. floating of the ER 1983, and recent appreciation of the aud (0.80) due to conditions in the US and a higher TOT than forecasted. introduce main points obviously) then in my first Body i talked about - fluctuations in the BOGS --> fluctuations in ER and growth, chinese demand for our commodities in mining boom underpinning stron appreciation of record high $1.1 USD, talk about composition of trade and how changes in other countries lead to changes in demand for our exports. ToT

2nd Body - Globalisation and low global i.r. --> fluctuations in ER and growth so talk about interest rate differentials, carry trade, investment and trade flows opened up

and then conclusion. Of course i talked about these in depth with graphs and more stats (like j curve in body 1). but ye got a pretty decent mark for this (17), just should of talked more about eco gr.

Note: this structure would strictly be for a "causes" ER essay, not an "effects" ER essay. For an effects essay youd talk about what fluctuations in the ER lead to i.e. talk about international competitiveness and dutch disease, inflation and bogs (not too sure about this one)

Last edited:

jjHasm

HSC
^ but yeah improvements can be made so if theres anything else to add pls say so
The feedback i got from teacher (hes a hsc marker), was that i "missed a few ideal points" (like talking about global eco gr more) and also needed more current stats.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)