HSC and Family Pressure/Expectations (1 Viewer)

Do u have family expectations to live up to

• Yes (from who in family in particular)

Votes: 115 57.5%
  • No (god i hate u lol jkz lucky people)

Votes: 85 42.5%

• Total voters

brookachooka

HSC
Re: How many people are in the situation of having to live up to famil expectations

i wish my folks would lay off, i dont even want to go to uni, they've done the whole we love you no matter waht but they've also banned me from leaving the house other than exams until its over...grrr
my brother did well last year and they expect me to better him, ha yeah right, im off to england next year its all good

redsfan91

HSC
Re: How many people are in the situation of having to live up to famil expectations

dance2urownbeat said:
wow you just totally inspired me. like, i have no pressure from my parents because i've always done well at school and compared to my brother and sister (both younger, i'm the eldest), they are just happy that i put effort into school at all! but like, i've never though to myself "i'm doing the hsc for me, for my life" kinda thing before...i'm not sure who i thought i was doing it for before i read that...haha. i feel all optimistic and empowered and motivated now. does this even make sense?
either way, i feel better now :)
thats what the people who are going to get an asterix say lol

Last edited:

janaranaran!

HSC

My parents would be ok with whatever i got, except being dux of my year since year 7 pretty much everyone i know is expecting big things, and the pressure can get really bad sometimes...

shit what am i going to do if i fail lol

plus my brother has a competition with his friend that I'm going to beat his sister's 2007 UAI which was really high

Eclipse008

HSC
N/A

sonyaleeisapixi said:
I'm the eldest child, eldest grandaughter.
First one to do the HSC
I set the bar.

But no real pressure at all. As long as I do my best, they'll be proud.
me too!

The only pressure I get is from myself - though that can kinda suck at times.

debiiid

HSC

OKAY PEOPLE!!
Oldest sister went to james ruse and got a 95+ UAI
Secodn sister went to baulkham hills and got a 95+ UAI
i'm lucky if i get an 80+ !!!
i go to normanhurst boys -_-
they made me feel liek a failure even tho it's still selective!!
i hate being korean sometimes...

HSC

my sis got 93-and she whent to a pretty crap private school
and my brother apparently didn't study untill the day before his exams and got in the 80's (hes like autistic or something...awsome at maths crap at pretty much everything else)
my family thinks im the smart one so if i don't do well they'll probably tell people its coz im autistic

HSC

ha does nyone know of someone who whent to james ruse and just bombed out...i feel sorry for that person more than me

MadamGuilia

HSC
My parents don't pressure me, but the fact that my dad is such an intelligent man boosts up some of the expectation - that I give myself, but still. My father is a genius!

Miffstaa

HSC
My mum got a 100 UAI.
My dad failed year 11.

They dont think that the HSC is a big deal at all, they think its crap how its made out to be the most important thing in your adolescent life etc.
My parents read some article about students who had committed suicide about the hsc and now their scared shitless, so they get really happy when they find me not studying. And i dont mind one single bit.

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
For me, yes and no.
My parents are heaps supportive with which ever career path I choose to pursue in the future. But its more of the extended family, I've got a cousins who have graduated from selective schools and got uais well in the high 90s and are studying/studied courses like medicine, business and law then you have me who is the black sheep aiming for something in the 80s and wants to do something associated with humanities. But yeah meh it doesnt really bother me.

Younis

HSC
i have the most family expections to live up to...

they expect me to be a doctor..artictect or a lawyer.
and i dont wanna be any.

and if i dont get into uni.. the god only knows what they will do..
:confused:

charlesdinio

HSC
one sister got 98.7, the other got 93.7

I'm hoping for 95ish.

The person with the lowest UAI has to wear a T-shirt saying DUNCE on it so the rest of us can ridicule them.

haha good times.

Miss Boxes

HSC
Yess especially if u come from an azn family =.=

My mum in particullar, she threatned not to help pay for tafe or college fees if I didnt make it to university.

I mean I didnt care too much bout making it to uni before, oh wells if I dont make it I will still find a way to get to wherever I want so Stuff her.

It's always bout reputation and stuff, and how embrassing it will be for her if I didnt make it.

Lowisa

HSC
I'm a second year uni student, and it's such deja vu reading about all this family pressure stuff. But you guys must realise that if you don't enter a university course that you enjoy, or that will result in your desired career, you won't be able to stick it out. I have seen so many people transfer mid-way through semesters because they didn't enjoy the course. Other people have simply dropped out, others just can't be bothered to do the work or turn up to class.
My advice to you is to do what you wish to do. There is no point spending four years at uni doing a course you don't like. Trust me, the hecs, textbook and accommodation fees aren't worth it.
Also remember that there are always ways into uni, and the hsc isn't the end of the world. I lived with a girl last year who left school after Year 10 but now she's doing really well at primary teaching. Take time to figure out what you want to do.
Good luck with your results

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC

redsfan91 said:
thats what the people who are going to get an asterix say lol
as in i'm so dumb i won't get a uai? i'm confused.

jennieTalia

HSC
My sister managed to pull 94.15 and she has always been more the popular, go out all the time type rather than the study type. Hard worker though.

My parents weren't essentially good at school, but my Dad has always worked hard and worked his way up to his current position.

I guess they want me to do well so I have a future and all their money that has been spent on education doesn't go to waste. I, personally, can see other ways to get into my career choice other than a degree. But I want to go to university.

It is the unsaid pressure that is the worst though. Or the little jokes that you know are actually real.

mareeahh2166

HSC

Pikachu. said:
always getting compared to family members like my cousin brothers, anyone related to me on everything, not just academically but ... everything i cant emphasize that enough you most likely have to be Asian to understand + if you dont live up to their expectations, trust me they will remember it and haunt you at every family reunion :mad:
ROFLMAO. I understand COMPLETELY where you are coming from.

Although, it's not my parents that are the issue, its the RELATIVES i'm going to have a hard time dealing with. My parents are pretty laid back about the HSC. They've alwys only encouraged me to do my best and i know that they'll be happy me regardless of the UAI i achieve.

However, i do still feel that i owe them a good UAI. As childish as this may sound, i don't want them to be known as the parents of the girl who got a crappy UAI. I hate how Asian relatives place such great emphasis on academic achievements. For all i know, they're probably anticipating the day the UAIs are going to be realised. :(

I'm praying for a UAI of at least 85+. Would be ecstatic to achieve 90 though. But i guess its all in God's hands!

leisl1990

HSC
no, they dont give a damn, they dont even know all the subjects i am doing.
however, if i get a shitty uai, they will probably be quite disappointed..

joshoh

HSC
My parents havent pressured me at all, just told me to do my best and study or work at something I love doing.

(Dad went to uni, studied design/arch and ended up in sales.Pays the $$'s but he hates it. If said if he had his time again, he would of been a tradey.)

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
my parents expect like 100, bare min
but its pretty much like 'so, you studied?'
'yep' (nope)
'k'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)